Thread: Win. Mdl 70 SS classic .375 H&H conversion

welfare state of Alaska

Default Win. Mdl 70 SS classic .375 H&H conversion

When Winchester designed the Mdl 70 Classic long action they made the action long enough to accomodate a .375 H&H round. This resulted in an action that was around 3/16" longer than the pre-64 actions. Thus the classic long actions do not have to have all the extra machining to accomodiate the full length magnum rounds.

I'm in the process of converting a classic stainless orginally in .300 Win Mag into a .375 H&H and wonder what mods Winchester did to make a .375 rifle. I've opened up the magazine box by removing the spacer and removed the stop off the bolt collar already - these were obvious differences. I used a factory .375 H&H barrel and stock so those parts were easy also. The ejector may also be different; I've got to look at it closer.

Any anyone help me out with any other modifications I need to make? I don't have an orginal classic .375 H&H rifle to compare to so I'm a bit lost as to everything else I need to do.

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I am not positive of the exact steps taken so bear with me. But as far as I know when Stan Jackson performs this type of conversions he does the following:
    1. Either changes out or alters the bolt stop
    2. Removes the spacer in the magazine box
    3. Machines away a small section of the rear of the action to aid ejecting of loaded rounds
    4. Drills and taps a new hole for the rear scope mount since one was just removed when the action was "opened" up.

Last time I talked to him about this he charged $100 to do everything and he said it was a simple job. Hope this helps.