Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to Get?

Default What to Get?

I have a few revolver type pistols and want to get my first semi-auto. I basically want it for carry. Whenever I get looking at this forum I'm overwhelmed by the knowledge some of you have. I've shot a friend's Kimber .40. I liked it. I talked with one of the guys at The Gear Shed (Homer) and he talked up the .40s as well. (He talked up everything) Can I get some other opinions to help me with my decision? Thanks

Default 40 S&W is fine

For personal defense, the 40 S&W is a very efficient cartridge. Some might like the 45 acp which is always an excellent choice. I carry a S&W M&P40 and like it a lot, though it is a little bifg for carry. You might consider the Glock or Springfield Armory XD-40, which is very reliable also. I carry 155gr. jhps for regular carry, but there is a lot of good ammo on the market.

If looking at 40cal. why not just get a 10mm,good for alleys and the trail.

Homertime,

Keep in mind that if you have to use that carry gun it will likely be bounced-around in an evidence locker for six months or more while you and your attorney justify using it. I carry Glocks because they are dead-reliable, I can go buy an identical one if forced to use the one on my hip, and it won't break my heart or my wallet to replace it. I also shoot revolvers a lot, and I like the fact that there aren't any extra safeties to bother with on most striker-fired guns like the Glock and XD, point and shoot, just like a wheelgun.

The .40 is a good cartridge, LEO's use them for a reason, they work. Hold and shoot as many different guns as you can before buying, in my experience the right gun will feel like a natural extension of your arm, like it belongs there.

Good shootin'
    -J

40 S&W is a my favorite all around semi these day. I have a Glock 35 that is very, very accurate and is a good "beside the bed" gun. But too long for practical carry. I have a Sig 226 Equinox that is the best made gun I own. Impressive in every area. But again, I would prefer something smaller/lighter as a carry gun. Got a Ruger P90 .45 and it was my first semi. Got it about 15 years back. It does not compare well to the Sig and Glock. Recently got a Glock 27 (.40 S&W) and it is perfect for carry. Small, lightweight, and holds 10 rounds of 40. I shot it just the other week for the first time and was amazed how accurate it was. Slick gun man, and I would suggest it to anyone looking for a small concealed carry piece. In a hip or small of the back holster, you would barely notice you were wearing it. The more Glocks I own, the more I want. I held out for a long, long time on the Glocks. Got my first three years ago and picked up the 27 just a few weeks ago. Easy gun to love. Give thought to ammo availability and price when picking out a gun. This is becoming, and will continue to become a big issue for us gun owners. 9 mm and 40 S&W will be cheaper and easier to find than many calibers. I have 500 S&W, .44 Special, 32 H&R Magnum, 50 BMG, and I can tell you, finding (and affording) ammo is a real problem these days. Stick with something that is affordable and plentiful.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Right-on Dan! My 26 is nestled on my hip right now and you're right, the baby Glocks are a joy to carry and shoot. I took a long time to convert to the plastic-fantastic, but you couldn't lure me away from them with the fanciest 1911 anymore.
    -J

Thumbs up 1911 Govt. Mod. .45....

Every one should have a well set up and reliable 1911 Govt. Model in .45 caliber. It is probably the best fighting hand gun ever produced. For a factory issue .45 Govt. Mod. it is hard to beat a Kimber. Get a good belt, holster, magazine holder and a dozen magazines. Then shoot it till the cows come home. You won't be sorry.

Wink I'm a Glock fan also...

I have a G-17, and have shot many rounds through it without any problems, so you can imagine my surprise when I let my daughter shoot it and it jammed.Since that time, it has never jammed again.I'm sure that the reason was her small frame(90) lbs and she may have limp wristed it.I love my Glock, but my conceal weapon of choice is a Ruger Sp-101 in the 357 cal,loaded with .38 wad cutters.GR

40S&W is the best compromise of the holy trinity . . . size, power, availability in todayís carry gun world. 9mm is a tad on the week side to be a stopper, 45acp is to fat a case to allow enough ammo in a compact gun, and 10mm ammo is a bit too expensive to shoot as much as one should. However there are 10ís that will also shoot 40S&W ammo, but donít do it unless it says on the gun it shoots both.

Most of the time I pack a EAA Witness compact 40S&W that I have had for years now. I have many others but this is the one that I think best fits my list of needs and wants in a carry gun. One~ I know works every time I want it to fire no matter what!! Two~ Small and flat with 10 rounds or more. Three~ Not one that would break my heart or bank balance if it gets taken away, banged up, locked up, or otherwise needs to be replaced.

Glock and a host of others also would fill the bill very well for me, but if you want a Rollex quality curry gun the Kimber is a good place to start.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Every one should have a well set up and reliable 1911 Govt. Model in .45 caliber.
    That is the next thing on my list. It would almost be unamerican not to have one
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

if you want a Rollex quality curry gun the Kimber is a good place to start.

If you got some money to spend, I suggest looking at Sig Sauer and Para-Ordnance as well.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    If you got some money to spend, I suggest looking at Sig Sauer and Para-Ordnance as well.
    Yup good picks, I have a Para full double stack 45 and a Kimber all dressed up is on the short list. Don't think I will pack ether on a daily bases though.

Andy

When it absolutely has to fire, first time every time. glock.

I own more than my share of Glocks and they are nice guns. But over the last 40 years I've owned H&K, Sig, S&W, Walther, Colt, Springfield and Taurus pistols. Over an uncountable number of rounds fired I have never had any of them fail to fire. Go to the gun shops and shows and pick up all the different models from the major manufacturers, see how they fit your hand and feel to you and then choose the one that fits your hand and style best. Nobody can tell you what's the best gun for you.

Thanks for all the comments. This may sound really stupid to some of you but.... Is there anywhere I can go (gun shop?) where I can pay to have someone (and me too) to demo and live fire a variety of brands?

Nope........

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    Thanks for all the comments. This may sound really stupid to some of you but.... Is there anywhere I can go (gun shop?) where I can pay to have someone (and me too) to demo and live fire a variety of brands?
    I know of 2 places . . . in Arizona but none in Alaska. It's such a good selling tool that someone should do it.

Andy

Anyone got lots of capitol? lets start one! Nice post on the 410g 45-70 thread Andy, I laughed more than a little bit!

-J

Default I love my Glock

I recently purchased a Glock 30 SF (.45 acp) It took me a while to make up my mind and I am not disappointed ! It is accurate , relativly compact , and gobbles up any ammo I have fed it ! Plus I dont have to worry about any manual safety in a stressful situation ! I think If I had a pile of extra money I would have a bunch of different gus but I would still end up carrying the Glock ! Kevin

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Homertime View Post
    I have a few revolver type pistols and want to get my first semi-auto. I basically want it for carry. Whenever I get looking at this forum I'm overwhelmed by the knowledge some of you have. I've shot a friend's Kimber .40. I liked it. I talked with one of the guys at The Gear Shed (Homer) and he talked up the .40s as well. (He talked up everything) Can I get some other opinions to help me with my decision? Thanks
    Well, I haven't had my tail in a crack, in a while, so here goes.

Aren't all the pistols from Kimber, 1911 types?

Gee, don't we have more modern designs, nowadays?

That you don't have to throw the slide for the first shot, carry Cocked and Locked? or pull the hammer back?

I do appreciate obsolesce, and history. I even own muzzle loaders, but I wouldn't choose them for defense.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast