Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Trapping Sled?

Default Best Trapping Sled?

Looking for advice from those of you who run longer lines - I'll be helping a friend next year run a trap line that is about 80miles round trip. We deal with deep snow, river crossings, and tight timber. What advice would you give regarding snow machines? Definately need something that is dependable and can take the wear and tear - any advice would be appreciated...

There was a member over in the snow machine forum that took an old 440 scandic and modified the sled to except a 2 inch paddle track from one of those mountain sleds. He probably picked it up off craigslist for next to nothing. The guys who mod out their mountain sleds sell them for cheap. I found that to be an extremely good idea, very intelligent guy whoever he was. I wouldn't mind buying an older scandic/tundra/bearcat/bravo for 1500 off craigslist and modify it to take a 1.5-2 inch track, it would be a fun project IMO.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=48824

I found the thread NP Hunter. My previous thread was WAY off! It was a tundra....not a scandic. It was a 1.25 inch paddle track......not a 2 inch, and it was on the "make it yourself forum, not the snowmachine forum. I really need to drink some coffee....and stop biting lead sinkers onto fishing line!

There are quite a few guys who LOVE the 440 Skandik as a trapping sled, though. Like the Tundra, it has the simple, clean, "pogo stick" front suspension that doesn't hang up in brush. Quite a bit more power though of course.
    I'm not sure how wide the ski stance is though. The Tundra is 32", which may give you an advantage since you mentioned "tight timber".
    Unfortunately, Ski-Doo is not making the 440 Skandik or the 300 Tundra anymore. So if you see one for sale, (its coming into the best time of the year for that), better jump on it like a duck on a june bug.
    If you're into new, they are making the 2010 Tundra in a 550 engine, still 32" ski stance, and have gone back to the good old pogo front end.

Depending on the where... the 300F Tundra would be hard to beat. Narrow for timber and turns very sharp, not super for deep powder but on broke trails its very good.

I had planned on holding off another year but now that the 2010 has eliminated the (IMHO) better features of the Tundra I'm pretty happy I went ahead and picked one up.

A couple of real advantages of the 300F is good fuel efficiency and very light weight.

If your thinking of going with something newer.

We just bought the 09 AC 570 XT, 2 stroke, fan cooled, 40-44 inch adjustable ski stance, 20x156 track. We absolutely love this machine. It refuses to get stuck! The ride is incredible.

http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/snow.a...l=BEARCAT570XT
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

The answer depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to enjoy the trap line. I'm assuming that neither you nor your friend are planning to pay for gear and gas on an 80 mile line with today's fur prices.

But if you are trying to make money trapping, I recommend a time machine. A farm boy muskrat line in Pennsylvania covered on foot and by bicycle, circa 1957, made some real money. Gas was 25 cents a gallon and a good muskrat sold to Sears for $2.50. At $5/ gallon for gas, those would be $50 muskrats!

If you want to have fun and still use snogos, I recommend five or six 70 pound dogs after you have put in a nice trail with the snogo. If you want still more fun, I recommend my current lines: some 2 or 3 mile snowshoe loops for marten in winter and still shorter bunny snare lines in the sunshine of late winter.

But to stay on topic a little, I trapped by snogo for 20 some years. I have used an Elan, Yamaha Bravo short track, Tundra and Tundra II, older Yamaha Viking, Skandic WT, and Skandic SWT. (Started out with a Scorpion Lil Whip, Polaris Colt 340). All of mine have been 2 cycle.

The huge step for me was going to the big machines. The first of those was the old springer Viking and it made life so much easier. Interestingly enough, friends who use them don't like the new Yamaha Viking Pro and consider it to be poorly balanced (top heavy), tippy, and without enough floatation for its weight. The Skandic WT is good, but by far the best machine that I ever used was the Skandic SWT. Unless you hit overflow, it is pretty hard to get one stuck and they are very easy to ride.

The most important thing for trapping with the SWT is the ease of going slow with deep snow and tight turns in the woods. That just isn't possible without a lot of floatation. The 24" track is not only the widest available but the width provides stability that even a 20" track doesn't. My wife is a very small person and for her the easiest machine to ride was the SWT. Her Elan and each of the others was much more work to ride and none of the 15" tracks that I had did deep snow without being on step, i.e., not in the woods. The paddle tracks don't leave a trail, they just leave a trench.

Before the big machines, we spent a lot of time breaking trail with the combo of a Tundra and an Elan. Much shoveling and lifting. It was great exercise though.

Whatever you use, have fun!

I know of an older RMK 550 trail prolly about a 2000 or 2001 that was long tracked out to a 151. With this much track that engine just can't turn it fast enough to trench out to much it really did a good job of floating on the snow. To me this length would make it difficult to get around in tight woods to much but if it's floatation then this would be a good bet.

Anybody ever use an old alpine.

I have one sitting in my yard that needs a new home!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Arctic cat 440 Bearcat circa 1996-2000
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    I have one sitting in my yard that needs a new home!
    Did you not like it or is it just because it is old.

We dont have the time to restore it, We also bought a new sled so this one can go.

Default I loved this sled!

If your thinking of going with something newer.

We just bought the 09 AC 570 XT, 2 stroke, fan cooled, 40-44 inch adjustable ski stance, 20x156 track. We absolutely love this machine. It refuses to get stuck! The ride is incredible.

http://www.arcticcat.com/snow/snow.a...l=BEARCAT570XT

I was all over this sled it has everything I wanted. I was headed down to buy an 09. Had the check already filled out. Got to the show room and looked it over drooled asked to see the specs and just about fell over then the dry weight was 700 lbs! I couldn't get either end off the ground. And I get sleds stuck a lot when I am alone. So I went home to mull it over... that day the 2010 skidoos were announced. After looking over the 2010 Tundra LT, I went down and snowchecked one the next day. 475 lbs dry is managable, 700 is not in my book. Besides once you go doo its had to go back and I have an 300F Tundra that has been ablsolutly everthing I need in a sled, just want something a little more comforable to ride. But the XT is one impressive machine I have to say.

We dont have the time to restore it, We also bought a new sled so this one can go.
    Just curious did you like it while useing it what was its good points and bad points.
    What kind of shape is it in now.

Byrd, Yea that was a drawback, but this thing has yet to get stuck and its the only sled we use for trapping now.
    I love the 17 gallon gas tank too, I know it doesnt help for weight, but boy does it go forever on a tank of gas!

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post
    I was all over this sled it has everything I wanted. I was headed down to buy an 09. Had the check already filled out. Got to the show room and looked it over drooled asked to see the specs and just about fell over then the dry weight was 700 lbs! I couldn't get either end off the ground. And I get sleds stuck a lot when I am alone. So I went home to mull it over... that day the 2010 skidoos were announced. After looking over the 2010 Tundra LT, I went down and snowchecked one the next day. 475 lbs dry is managable, 700 is not in my book. Besides once you go doo its had to go back and I have an 300F Tundra that has been ablsolutly everthing I need in a sled, just want something a little more comforable to ride. But the XT is one impressive machine I have to say.

Its in good shape considering its a 72 (I think), with some help it would run. It needs some things to get it going again like battery, both tracks are in awesome shape, body is straight....we just aren't going to put any time into it for $350 someone can have it. My husband can chime in on this anytime now, since Im not the mechanic.

As far as I know, these were some of the best sleds to have around. I do know its pretty light as well, but its too short as far as Im concerned, we are a long/wide track family and swear by them. Just personal preferance.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Just curious did you like it while useing it what was its good points and bad points.
    What kind of shape is it in now.

Yea I've got one I bought from a guy that used it for trapping mine is a little newer not much tho. He had 4 of them two older and two newer so I figgured he must have liked them. I bought his last one so I got a boat load of spare parts new and used.

Well, if he decides he's actually going to do something with this yellow thing sitting in my yard, I will certainly let him know about your parts

I'm not really wanting to git rid of them as I plan on restoring the one I have eventually. I would be interested in yours if it wasn't for other priorties right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast