Thread: Are there permanent moorings in Prince William Sound

Default Are there permanent moorings in Prince William Sound

I plan on going out to Prince William Sound with my 2359 trophy for the first time this summer. I see on the charts some symbols for moorings in places like Shotgun Cove and Esther Passage. Are these public use moorings and are they actually there?

Also, I have heard from a ton of people that I need to get "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound". Problem is that it's out of print right now and NOBODY has it (even the used book stores). Talked with the co-author and I guess her husband died (the other co-auther) and she plans on getting an updated version out to print this summer. So, if anyone has this book and wants to sell it I would love to buy it from you.

Default Call

Alaska MIning ad diving and see if they have any left?
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Cruising Prince William Sound is to PWS boaters as the Bible is to Christians. Do not leave Whittier without it.

Most permanent moorings have been removed by the State, but there are a few hidden here and there. However, those that you will be able to find may not be safe to use in rough waters, since they are either very old or of the illegal homemade variety. As a general rule, you should not expect to use mooring bouys in PWS.

The mooring bouys in Shotgun cove are for barges; I've never seen pleasure craft use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    I plan on going out to Prince William Sound with my 2359 trophy for the first time this summer. I see on the charts some symbols for moorings in places like Shotgun Cove and Esther Passage. Are these public use moorings and are they actually there?

Also, I have heard from a ton of people that I need to get "A Cruising Guide to Prince William Sound". Problem is that it's out of print right now and NOBODY has it (even the used book stores). Talked with the co-author and I guess her husband died (the other co-auther) and she plans on getting an updated version out to print this summer. So, if anyone has this book and wants to sell it I would love to buy it from you.
    Last time I went to AMD they still had it. Do whatever you have to do to get it. However I would strongly urge you NOT to tie up to any mooring bouys if they are available. These are BIG steel bouys and your glass hull (I have one) WILL NOT like getting scraped and slammed into them when the tide changes (just when you are thinking you are all set for the night). Find out about the great protected coves to overnight in and forget about the mooring bouys - IMO .

Default Good to know...

I was thinking that most of those were not usable. I used moorings in Catalina Island off the California coast and they had a bunch of them all lined up all neat for people to use... but then again you had to rent those for the day/night. I didn't expect that in PWS.

As for the Bible... I went to mining and diving about a month ago and they were all out.

Somebody's got it for sale on Amazon. Only $195--per volume ($390 for the two-volume set).

http://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Guide...7951350&sr=8-2

Now that is just crazy talk. $195?!?!?!

Might want to keep checking around...
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Default Got Lucky on PWS Guide

Got mine Guide on E-Bay for $12 + shipping.
    There are some anchorages. Shotgun for sure, Granite Baym, Squaw Bay, Lake Bay.
    There is a NOAA site where during the surveys they record these, look for Wrecks and Obstruction page, there was 363 sites recorded.
    http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/
    but like most gov sites you have to dig, I just checked it out Lat Long which it's sorted by. Was a few Forest Service marked ones, don't know why.

Default Those moorages shown on topo maps.....

are just safe places to anchor for the night. That may be what you are referring to, they show an anchor in the legend as "moorage" and then on the map in the coves etc. they show anchors where protected moorage would be.

Try Tidal Wave Books in Anchorage. Thats always been the best place to get it.

I called title wave a few weeks ago and the lady there told me she could put me on the waiting list, which is about 50 people long right now. She said they are out of print but soemtimes get some used ones in. I think most are gonna be waiting a while for this book. Hopefuly the rumors of an updated version coming out are true.

Anyone have any experience with the Prince William Sound Cruising Maps by Douglass? Any good?

http://www.insidepassagenews.com/insidepassagemaps/

I've got Douglass' book on cruising SE Alaska, and it's been pretty helpful.

Default there is a new book this summer

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    I called title wave a few weeks ago and the lady there told me she could put me on the waiting list, which is about 50 people long right now. She said they are out of print but soemtimes get some used ones in. I think most are gonna be waiting a while for this book. Hopefuly the rumors of an updated version coming out are true.
    In my attempts to get the book I called this one number and it ended up being Nancy Lethcoe ... to co-author of the book. She said the new book will be out some time this summer. So it is true that there is an updated version coming out this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    In my attempts to get the book I called this one number and it ended up being Nancy Lethcoe ... to co-author of the book. She said the new book will be out some time this summer. So it is true that there is an updated version coming out this summer.
    I can't wait to get it.

Put me on the list....

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default back to the topic of public mooring buoys...

Bottom line: I would not use them. The few that remain in PWS (many have been removed for liability reasons) are typically set up for commercial purposes and will beat your boat to death if you bounce off them. Any other remaining ones may be of questionable condition and I would much rather trust the safety of my boat to my own gear since I know its condition. I watched a clown in near Main Bay a couple of years ago use a set net buoy as if it was a public mooring buoy. Luckily it was calm and he stayed in place overnight, but he could have been in big trouble if it started blowing (or if the owner of the gear showed up).

You don't need to be a genius to figure out anchoring, but given the importance of being anchored securely (and thus sleeping or enjoying on shore activites comfortably) I've spent a lot of time reading all I can on anchoring in the off season over the past few years. Anchoring for lunch in a bay for a couple of hours when you stay in the boat is one thing, but anchoring for a storm or an extended period of hunting or hiking on shore is another. The same goes for sleeping. The more techniques you have to choose from the better off you'll be. This applies to your own boat and whoever you might drift or swing into if you're anchored improperly. One of the best books I've found is "The Complete Book of Anchoring and Mooring" by Earl Hinz. It's available on Amazon and you probably can just borrow it from the library. While certain sections are not applicable to AK, most of the book is very useful. The technique of using a kellet has been very helpful in foul weather when there is limited swinging room and scoping at 7:1 is not an option.

Just my $0.02...