Thread: 410gr HC hot loaded 45-70 Bear stopper?

Default 410gr HC hot loaded 45-70 Bear stopper?

Just wondering what your oppinion of a properly loaded 45-70 is as for bear defenace like the custom marlins with special hards cast loads. Will it do the job? Will it penitrate 100% on an average heart/lung shot (veriables understund)? What about hunting with a Ruger singl shot and its extra velocity?

This is just for grins & giggles and from some real experences. I have a buddy thats done a lot of hunting with both but not for brown bears.

I used the 45/70 on seven bears so far and all were pass through. I used the the Hornady 350 gr. RN at 1880fps.My rug was hit under the chin and out the spine just above the tail

It'll do the job with power to spare. Hunting Brownies with a single-shot? It's been done plenty of times, but you better have some back-up!

-J

Is 410gr HC hot loaded 45-70 Bear stopper?

YES, about as good as it gets!

Andy

The 45/70 was killing big critters before any of us was born. With the modern powders and good 400gr plus bullets, it will take anything on the planet. All the big 5 have neen taken w/ a 45/70.

Talking Good one

Quote Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
    It'll do the job with power to spare. Hunting Brownies with a single-shot? It's been done plenty of times, but you better have some back-up!

-J
    Agree completely, but every rifle, outside a double, is a single shot until that next round is rammed home so backup isn't a bad idea for any of us, right? Hunters with no experience with the big bores have no idea just how powerful and effective these cartridges are. Some use the argument that they're not long range rifles...so what. For practical hunting ranges, up tp 300 yds, they'll kill just as dead as any rifle out there. Take it hunting and never look back...you won't have to.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Agree completely, but every rifle, outside a double, is a single shot until that next round is rammed home so backup isn't a bad idea for any of us, right? Hunters with no experience with the big bores have no idea just how powerful and effective these cartridges are. Some use the argument that they're not long range rifles...so what. For practical hunting ranges, up tp 300 yds, they'll kill just as dead as any rifle out there. Take it hunting and never look back...you won't have to.
    I agee too Maydog, I don't chase bears by myself, unless their black!

-J

G&A just did an article on big meplat bullets that mainly fetured Garett 45-70 bullets titled Smackdown I think and Africa's Dangerous Game. Timely article I guess good read. Says when they are very big moumentum is what counts.

It dosen't take long to reload a #1 or #3,about as fast as most can work a bolt and faster than most of the pro's on T.V. work them.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It dosen't take long to reload a #1 or #3,about as fast as most can work a bolt and faster than most of the pro's on T.V. work them.
    Yup, they're faster than most people think, but not as fast as my lever-gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    It would take a lifetime when a brown bear is running at ya!
    You will not get a 2nd shot off even if you had the ammo in your hand.

Andy