Thread: Scope or peep sights for Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H?

Default Scope or peep sights for Ruger No. 1 .375 H&H?

I have a Ruger No. 1 in .375 H&H. I don't care for the factory sights, so I'm trying decide between a scope and peep sights for it. I am considering a 4x or 6x fixed power Leupold, a set of XS sights I already have but that must be permanently installed (they send red loctite with it), or purchasing a removable sight from NECG. It will primarily be used for target shooting, but I hope to hunt with it eventually.

"primarily" for Targets......then the 6x for sure. once you have established great accuracies and practice with that scope with any given load go to a aperture and test yourself out.

If you are moveing up here I would suggest keeping the stock sights for back-up and putting something like a 1.5x5 on it.JMHO

Most of my rifles have peep sights on them, but I kind of like the idea of scoping this one. I will look into a low, variable power scope. I am actively considering relocating, so I would like to set it up to be useful up there.

I just have to make sure that it has a fair amount of eye relief. I had problems scoping my No. 1 in .30-06 and ended up using rear offset rings with a Docter 4.5-14 x 40mm scope.

Mine has a 1.5 to 5 Vari -X-III scope plus factory open sights no eye relief problems with any of my max loads, but I hunt with mine. If I were going to mainly target shoot my choice would be a fixed 6-X or a high quality 2 to 7 power scope.

Default Peep-it

My #1 is a .45-70 fitted with the NECG rear peep and front bead, I bought the full set of front sights(heights). It is fast and very acurate and keeps the balance of the rifle. Of course my setup is primarily for heavy cover and close range.
    If you want to take advantage of the capabilities of the H&H at long range then a scope is more appropriate, I just hate the effects on the handling and balance. As long as my eyes allow, I prefer the peeps.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    My #1 is a .45-70 fitted with the NECG rear peep and front bead, I bought the full set of front sights(heights). It is fast and very acurate and keeps the balance of the rifle. Of course my setup is primarily for heavy cover and close range.
    If you want to take advantage of the capabilities of the H&H at long range then a scope is more appropriate, I just hate the effects on the handling and balance. As long as my eyes allow, I prefer the peeps.

Ed
    I agree Ed. I have the NEGC peep and scope for my 35 whelen. I use the stock ruger mounts and I am swapping out the scope and peep all of the time and point of impact doesnt move. It is the best set up for me......