Thread: Splicing expert

Default Splicing expert

Does anyone know of someone who does rope to chain splices? I have a 8 strand line I need to get spliced onto chain for my anchor ( it shredded last year).

Here's some instructions if you want to try it on your own.

http://www.yalecordage.com/html/pdf/...ain_splice.pdf

Default I Could Play All Day With Knots... ;-)

hunterdad-

bhollis is spot on. BTW - it looks harder than it really is.
    I tend to think of it as 'backweaving'. . .'secure backweaving!'

Here is an animated version:

ANIMATED CHAIN SPLICE

Anchors Aweigh!
    Doc

The handy weaving tool does help which looks like a T-handle with an eye at the end. I have done at least 3 of those this year and it is not too difficult. I usually torch the whole assembly to get the frays at the end. If you want me to do it, I will charge you a $1 to show you if you bring it to my shop.

arctic wire and rope spliced our 3-strand to chain for 20 bucks. Its the splice that can go through a windlass. I'm sure they know how to do 8-plait too.

Rope to chaim? i'd like to see at least a nylon or better yet a steel thimble for the connection.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Rope to chaim? i'd like to see at least a nylon or better yet a steel thimble for the connection.
    The problem with a thimble is getting it to go through an anchor windlass with a rope/chain gypsy. These kinds of splices seem to work fine.

Like I said, I've had that splice done to 3-strand. After two years I had it re-done becuase it started to fray and unravel. After it was done, i put a 2 foot piece of heavy duty heatshrink tubing over the splice to protect it from the windlass gypsy tearing it up. Its worked great and the tubing hasnt shown any wear after one season.

Default Splicing help

I looked at the instructions and video and hopefuly have this figure dout. Thanks to all.

Hey Griff,

Your tubing idea sounds perfect - so how about telling us where the best place is to get a 2 foot piece of heavy duty tubing to put over the splice? Does it require any special installation tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    Like I said, I've had that splice done to 3-strand. After two years I had it re-done becuase it started to fray and unravel. After it was done, i put a 2 foot piece of heavy duty heatshrink tubing over the splice to protect it from the windlass gypsy tearing it up. Its worked great and the tubing hasnt shown any wear after one season.
    I would have thought that the gypsy might have a hard time getting a grip on the tubing. You haven't found that to be the case?

I forgot where I bought it from, I found it laying in my garage. I'm sure frigid north would have it though. Give them a call.

I thought it might slip in the gypsy also, but when you heat it up, it forms to the shape of the rope so it still grabs it. Occasionaly it slips as it first enters the windlass. Also, Since it makes that section more rigid, it doesnt coil in the anchor locker, so don't make the piece too long, just enough to cover most of the splice.

and AK Buck, the kind I used is the type that when heated, activates an adhesive on the inside, so while it shrinks it also glues itself to the rope. So all I used was one of those hand torches to heat it up. Took a few minutes to do the whole section.

I don't have any taken but I'll try to get some in the next few days.

Default No Worries...

Griff-
    I'd help ya out, but I don't have any pics here, myself!
    Is it summer yet??
    Doc