Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish and Game's Mistake

Angry Fish and Game's Mistake

So my brother was applying for fall permits last year only to be informed that he was not eligible for permits becaus he had failed to report one of his harvest tags. My brother appealed this because he was sure that he had mailed in each of his harvest tags. As a hunter that knows the severe consequences of not returning harvest tags, my brother always made sure that he had proptly returned the required information. He appealed F&G's decision to not allow him to apply for permits, but only to be let down again. The decision was final, he would not be able to apply for those coveted permit drawing tags like every other Alaskan hunter.
    A couple of weeks ago my brother recieved two letters and one phone call appogizing for a certain harvest report that was lost, but now it is found! Just in time for my brother to put in for permits too! Oh, wait - No, they were'nt in time. The potential for my brother to draw a coveted permit for 2006 was gone forever. Apologies are nice but Delta buffalo and TMA rams are nicer.
    I realize Fish and Game is comprised of a system that is fallable because it is run by humans. I do not wish to celebrate the fact that a mistake was made. I just want to know what can be done to rectify the situation.
    I thougt of Fish and Game allowing my brother to put in twice for tags for the upcoming year to make up for the year he lost, but this is probably not in their power.
    Does anyone have any advice on this? What recourse does one have when dealing with a soverign entity? (A letter to the editor excercising free speech my be the only option)

Default online

Try filing harvest reports online. At least you have a printable page saying you have filed your report. Bum deal!

Default Same here

I always do mine on-line for the printable sheets. I have had to send in multiple reports before because they claimed I didnt file. No more will this happen, I just stroll on down and let'em see the sheet.

Default Electronic reporting

Won't do anything to correct the past, but for future reporting, try using their online hunt reporting. ADF&G online reporting

I used it last year and it seemed to work pretty slick...and I think you get a confirmation page to print off or maybe a confirmation email sent to you.

If you don't want to do that, my only other suggestion would be to take your harvest report into an adf&g office, have them copy the report you're submitting and have them write "Received" along with the office location, signature, and date on the report copy for you to keep as a receipt. Then if problems ever arise, you have proof that the mistake wasn't made on your end.

I also file mine on-line, though in some cases that's not allowed. If you can't file on-line, you should drop them off in person and get a reciept. One of the front desk people at the Anch. office told me to NEVER mail them in, as that is the method most fraught with problems. I know that this doesn't help to rectify your brother's situation, but it might help in the future.

-Brian

Lightbulb Try contacting ADFG HQ

That was nicely said. No one was attempting to harm your brother, but harm happened anyway.

I recommend contacting the Director of ADF&G's Division of Wildlife Conservation, Matt Robus. Here is the address:

Alaska Department of Fish and Game
    Division of Wildlife Conservation
    P.O. Box 115526
    Juneau, AK 99811-5526
    (907) 465-4190 phone
    (907) 465-6142 fax

Explain the situation with a sincere letter. Suggest a remedy. The Division is constrained by law and regulation, so not everything is possible, but you will get a hearing, and I am sure they will seriously consider possibilities.

David

Quote Originally Posted by two timer View Post
    I realize Fish and Game is comprised of a system that is fallable because it is run by humans. I do not wish to celebrate the fact that a mistake was made. I just want to know what can be done to rectify the situation.
    I thougt of Fish and Game allowing my brother to put in twice for tags for the upcoming year to make up for the year he lost, but this is probably not in their power.
    Does anyone have any advice on this? What recourse does one have when dealing with a soverign entity? (A letter to the editor excercising free speech my be the only option)

After talking with some retired folks out here that didn't get any permits this year because they 'supposedly' didn't report last year, I have started sending in the reports priority mail with a tracking number. Maybe even with a return reciept in the future. I like to have proof when it comes to these kind of matters. Sorry to hear of your situation.

Default Harvest tickets

I used to work the front desk at Fish & Game and this was a big problem, apparently it still is. I hand deliver my cards now and get receipts. Keep those receipts in a safe place until you clear that regulatory year.

Default Hand deliver

It's the only way to go. A lot of permits are not able to be reported (unless unsuccessful) online. With my cow permit this year I had to turn in 5" of the lower jaw (probably wouldn't have been good to mail it in). The gal at the Palmer desk said bringing it in is the best way to do it and she made a copy of my completed drawing permit and my normal harvest tag for me to hang on to. She said Anchorage is notorious for "losing" permits and harvest tickets.

I'd be surprised if they let your brother apply for more than the normal number of permits next year even though it was their mistake....government rules you know.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Question Reminder?

The one year I forgot to send in a hunt report on a registration permit I got a reminder in the mail.

It wasn't nice, or pleasantly worded, but I appreciated the chance to make it right and get my report in.

Do they only do that for certain hunts? (Mine was a brand-new registration permit for an area that didn't require one the year before.) Or does a generic 'file it now or else' letter go to every hunter who doesn't file on time?

Sad it happened, but mistakes happen. It was nice of them to call. Move foward and not dwell on the past. There permits in Dec to fill out. Foucus and grab that lucky charm and pray to the hunting gods
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thumbs up two timer

Is post # 10 Gary Keller the Corrections Officer?

Quote Originally Posted by two timer View Post
    Is post # 10 Gary Keller the Corrections Officer?
    Yeppers, for now until I hit the lottery
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default post office

Maybe the post office workers are doing it to better their odds of drawing HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Smile here's what i would do.....

go to the top. get a full report on what happened from the top. going straight to the top always work with state government, i would suggest emailing the dept commissioner and cc the division director and any other folks you have dealt with. if no response, document it (keep your sent emails), then go to the ombudsmen. all the information can be obtained from:
    http://state.ak.us/

Arrow hand deliver, get signed, make copies....

I always hand deliver my tags and get the front desk person to sign them. I keep copies for every hunt in a dedicated file.
    Alaska's fish and game harvest report system is a major screwup. I have had problems most years with "unreported tags" that had been promptly sent off. One time I got four warnings! I had called every time and told them they were sent and signed for-to no avail.
    Its a major problem IMHO.

fk

Default also.....forgot

if you have difficulty obtaining information ask them about "request for public information".....

I actually had the biologist from Galena call me this August wanting to know where I harvested my bull in 2004. Evidentally he had on his records that I shot two moose. One in my permit area I drew and one another 200 miles down river. LOL

I had to correct him that I did NOT shoot two moose and that I had mailed in my harvest report.

And that I had drawn a permit again and if they didn't have my info how did I draw???

I think they have a great idea on wanting harvest info but no organized method to the madness.

Following up two years later????????????????????????

Come on. If your that far behind paperwork then you need replaced.

Default wolfkiller

I recieved a 100+ dollar ticket last year for failing to sent in a harvest tag that I had sent in twice. I plead not guilty and the judge let me off. I had to appear in court in Tok (telephonicaly) even though I have never hunted in the area. The judge told me she had heard 29 of these cases last year.
    I now file on line.

If you can put forth the effort to go to a sporting goods store or a grocery store to get a harvest ticket, it shouldn't require that much more effort to fill one out and send it back to them, via internet or snail mail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast