Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunt rainwear

Default Sheep Hunt rainwear

Going on my first sheep hunt this August in the Chugach and looking for packable lightweight raingear. I have read some good about HH Impertech but they do not seem to be lightweight and a little on the bulky side. I no longer wear "breathable" waterproof hunt clothing because I sweat faster that it breathes. I am also considering Sporthill Expedition pants/jacket ( Barneys of course) with Patagonia Capilene 2 or 3 as a base layer. Any thoughts?

You aren't going to find anything better than Impertech in my opinion. Mine weigh less than 2 lbs for the set and keep all of the rain out. Every time this discussion comes up HH Impertech comes out ahead.

Question

patagonia long underwear is great, i have used it for years. you won't go wrong there.

rainwear has been discussed a lot. i use marmot precip full zip pants and a breathable shell. i have never used impertech. plenty of + and - on both sides. try some on and see what you think. i have never had an issue with the stuff i use. my full zip pants are great for getting on and off rather quickly. my breathable shell also has pit zips. not sure impertech has that. i can wear mine in a light rain or in really windy conditions and open up the zips for breathability.

i fought this battle as well buddy... I went with the impertech. they have a half zip pullover jacket that i went with and the pants in camo. havent used it yet, but i think ill be happy with it. Good luck!

Default Exertion-sweating in the rain when cold...tough problem:

Quote: "I no longer wear "breathable" waterproof hunt clothing because I sweat faster that it breathes."

PU best for waterproof: Couple of comments as sweating under raingear when hiking is something I'm working through. Since my first hunt last September, I've been figuring how best to stay dry. For constant or heavy rain, I think Impertech (or Precip or other coated polyurethane) will be best to keep the rain out-waterproof but not so breathable. Barney's carries both plus Kool Dri, which is lighter, but noisier and spendier. It apparently performs well if you don't put it in the washing machine.

DWR coated softshell better than GoreTex for breathability: For me otherwise and maybe underneath, the best combination so far on local hikes is a DWR-coated softshell. A suggestion by BrwnBr on another thread - got me looking at mountaineering, then cross country ski pants. Mammut Champ and similar, which I think are DWR (durable water repellent) coated soft shell (polyproplylene or nylon). The softshell material in my cross-country pants breathes well, stretches and repels water (kitchen sink test). I want to try them in the rain next. If I need a second pair, I'll look at the Mammut Champs - if they repel water - which many seem to like, including sheep hunters, I suppose for the same reasons.

The SportHill SP3's I wore were great, but in my kitchen sink testing wetted out too fast. I would rate them best for breathability though. They're cut on the slim side, so don't seem to work out well for bigger guys.

I do have to start with less insulation to avoid overheating. For improved ventilation, I have been thinking through using an anorak with bib pants/suspenders - instead of a belt, as suggested by a friend with much more hunting experience. HH has a new camo anorak-if you like camo.

REI has an excellent article on rainwear basics at: http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/rainwear.html

And here's a page that compares some raingear for cost, weight, materials:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ear/index.html

Good luck.

Default Sheep gear

Been on a few hunts for sheep, and goat as well, I also used HH impertech, but have since gone to the new Sitka Nimbus jacket, very light and packable, way better than the impertech (IMO) and I will use it again. Mammut cerre torre jacket with Sporthill 3sp shirt with capilene underneath, you will sweat climbing the mountains but the material wicks it away pretty fast. As for Impertech, you will sweat and stay sweaty which is not good. Pants, I use Arcteryx Gamma pants, tough, and repels water, this will be my third year using them and I have been sliding on shale with them everytime, not a single rip or hole in them, also with capilene under them, I do take a pair of Mammut Champ pants but they are thinner and not insulated, but its a back-up and light. you won't go wrong with this stuff, and yes some of it is pricey, but in the long run it will last for quite a while.

I am using the HH Impertech now, but have used the Browning stuff as well as the Cabela's Dry-Plus stuff in the past with good success.All 3 of these were comfortable, breathes well, kept me dry,etc.

The only stuff I dont recommend anymore is River's West. That was the worst money I've ever spent. It leaked, weighed a ton, didnt breath, took forever to dry out. It actually was a miserable trip because of it.

I am very interested in the Sitka stuff but still have a hard time spending that amount of cash on rain gear when the stuff I have now works great.
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

Default Cabelas mto150

I have always used wool and good Impretech HH gear and never had a problem. I wanted to try some new gear with the new tech stuff and bought the quiet raingear for $$$ from Cabelas. Big mistake, Bow hunt in the Chugach Oct. rained every day with 50 - 70 MPH winds in alpine country nasty conditions lots of snow and rain. I was wet around the shoulders and neck in an hour. Sent it back happily. 12 Miserable wet days in the field to prove that you want to use what WORKS!!! I will say that the only problem with the HH gear is that you have to be careful with bug dope...It eats/melts it. IMPERTECH ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pick A Spot

Thumbs up HH and Marmot

I have used both Marmot Precip and HH Impertech. Anywhere I go that I might have water coming from the bottom up (moose hunting) I wear the HH. Anytime I am carrying camp on my back I wear Precip. The weight is a big thing for me. Last summer I spent 12 straight days in the rain using HH and Precip. I sweat pretty good and the inside of each jacket got wet (from the inside out), I was able to shake the Precip and eliminate a lot of the moisture, the HH had to take its time to dry.

I swear by both of them, but the Marmot will go with when I go uphill.

Oh, and undergarments were Capilene 1 undershorts and Capilene 3 long handles on the bottom, a cheap old navy or gap long-sleeve synthetic and Capilene 3 zip T (zip is the only way to go, it offers a great option to ventilation). If need be, I wear an old pair of North Face hiking pants and old navy fleece. Patagonia vest with polargaurd fill if really cold.

Default Good rainwear tech info in another thread...

Impertech hands down!! Nothing keeps you dryer when your sitting on the mountain glassing for sheep in a full out downpour.

Sounds like good advise on the Marmot Precip gear for a sheep hunt-lightweight. Sounds like the HH would be better suited for hunts that you don't have to pack in.

Default H2o or wet

You will find most Alaskan guides wearing HH impertech. If it aint rubber it aint waterproff. Try knealing on wet ground in Gore Tex.

Default What about cool dri?

I've heard some sheepers using this stuff and claim it to be more durable than Precip???

Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by mikthestik View Post
    I have always used wool and good Impretech HH gear and never had a problem. I wanted to try some new gear with the new tech stuff and bought the quiet raingear for $$$ from Cabelas. Big mistake, Bow hunt in the Chugach Oct. rained every day with 50 - 70 MPH winds in alpine country nasty conditions lots of snow and rain. I was wet around the shoulders and neck in an hour. Sent it back happily. 12 Miserable wet days in the field to prove that you want to use what WORKS!!! I will say that the only problem with the HH gear is that you have to be careful with bug dope...It eats/melts it. IMPERTECH ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's nice to see someone giving praise to the good ol wool huntin clothes. I too wear wool and it's tough and quiet. My IMPERTECH gear and wool work well together too. I like the length of the rain jacket too, It goes down past my hip waders. I completely agree with everything you said. Cabelas do sell alot of crap too, and It seems to be alive and well with the magazine people. I'm tired of Cabelas putting the name of our state on their crap too. We Alaskans are more specialized than that, if only people knew that many Alaskans look outside of the "cabelashat box". With that said....non of their hip boots hold and candle to the la crosse ankle fit hippers. I've gone through 4 various pairs of cabelas hippers before finally waking up and going to a pair of la crosse.

Default Precip v Kool Dri

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I've heard some sheepers using this stuff and claim it to be more durable than Precip???

Any takers?
    Mark, a sheep/goat guide who works some at Barney's likes Kool Dri and others on AOD have liked Precip. Both are light. I think they both use polyurethane (PU) for waterproofing. Kool Dri looks tougher. Not sure about how breathability compares.

On Kool Dri's website, they don't specify, but I believe Kool Dri achieves breathability (http://www.kooldrirainwear.com/materials.asp) using PU- coated ripstop or PTFE - based on a comment one user made about how the Kool Dri failed after his wife/washer/dryer were done with them. DWR-coated PFTE should improve after washing.

Marmot's Precip also uses PU for waterproofing, but with their proprietary weave synthetic for breathability (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ear/index.html).

Here's an article, posted in another thread by Lujon, explains why a coating is needed: http://www.integraldesigns.com/in_event.cfm

More general raingear info:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=51070
    http://www.integraldesigns.com/in_event.cfm

Default Helpful link...

posted by goosepilot on another thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...860#post478860

Nelson's website has a couple of helpful articles on shell outerlayers.

The more research I do the more I am leaning toward going w/ an eVent jacket for my October Kodiak Goat hunt. Would like to field test it first of course but I have been pouring over a TON of info and I think I am just about ready to pull the trigger. I just need to do a little more price checking first and get a couple responses back from vendors.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default +1

I've used my Sitka Nimbus on 3 hunts so far, and it has performed above and beyond. Its first hunt was for moose, and I harvested a 63" bull. Its second hunt was for my goat hunt, and it harvested a B&C 9 5/8 x 5 7/8" Billy. Its third and final hunt to date was spending 6 days surviving Kodiak, with 3 bucks harvested. Bottom line....

Sitka Nimbus=dry person and large animals

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Been on a few hunts for sheep, and goat as well, I also used HH impertech, but have since gone to the new Sitka Nimbus jacket, very light and packable, way better than the impertech (IMO) and I will use it again. Mammut cerre torre jacket with Sporthill 3sp shirt with capilene underneath, you will sweat climbing the mountains but the material wicks it away pretty fast. As for Impertech, you will sweat and stay sweaty which is not good. Pants, I use Arcteryx Gamma pants, tough, and repels water, this will be my third year using them and I have been sliding on shale with them everytime, not a single rip or hole in them, also with capilene under them, I do take a pair of Mammut Champ pants but they are thinner and not insulated, but its a back-up and light. you won't go wrong with this stuff, and yes some of it is pricey, but in the long run it will last for quite a while.

Ok Sockeye I am sold. I'll buy the Sikta rain gear and big animals will be falling in my lap. Come on now I think you are giving the raingear a little too much credit and yourself not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    I've used my Sitka Nimbus on 3 hunts so far, and it has performed above and beyond. Its first hunt was for moose, and I harvested a 63" bull. Its second hunt was for my goat hunt, and it harvested a B&C 9 5/8 x 5 7/8" Billy. Its third and final hunt to date was spending 6 days surviving Kodiak, with 3 bucks harvested. Bottom line....

Sitka Nimbus=dry person and large animals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast