Thread: Black Bear Warning

Default Black Bear Warning

My girlfriend and I went x-country skiing yesterday at Campbell Airstrip with my dog. Ten minutes into our trip she felt like something was watching us. As she turned around a big black bear was standing 40-50 yds behind us on the trail!! As we stood there in sheer shock, the bear started heading straight towards us. We began to yell, scream and wave our arms and ski poles. The bear stopped, then started to trot again for us. I told her to get in front of me and haul ass (she's not a good skiier) as fast as she could. I kept looking behind us and the bear kept trotting and catching up. We B-lined for the airstrip and got out in the open, the bear stopped its stalk. I'm very comfy around bears, but this was screwed up!! I assume it's the same bear that treed the guy on Sat. I've been out there for 25 years and never had a spring bear encounter. That bear is nuts, STAY CLEAR!!!!
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-09-2009 at 07:06.

Default Call Fish & Game

You really need to call Fish & Game and report the encounter. The more people call the better.
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Thumbs up Fisher

Probably FISHER skis...

Default Call Fish and game

Those are very predatory behaviors exhibited by that bear. A Predatory black bear is one of the most dangerous bears to encounter and most likely to eat a person.

That bear needs taken care of before he kills some kid.

I've spent the last 25 years fanaticaly fishing in Alaska. I've bumped into alot of bears in those years on the river. I've been charged a few times (used bear spray), and I've been stalked a few times. All of these stalkings were from black bears. I would much rather bump into a 800 lb brown bear than a 300 lb black bear. Spring bears in general worry me, but a spring black bear can be trouble. I've already talked with Rick Sinnot, they headed out yesterday to do their magic. After our ecounter, somebody else was chased also. That bear's days are shortly numbered!

I hope so... once bears get that agressive and start to actively pursue humans I think that there is no turning back.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Talked to Rick at ADF&G and they went out a few times to find the bear. They found plenty of tracks, but no bear yet. He's still out there................

That had to be spooky, glad you two made it out fine. Sounds like you handled it correctly.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site

Glad you made it, but carry a gun next time. No law against it, and it could have saved your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Glad you made it, but carry a gun next time. No law against it, and it could have saved your life.
    Sure, but I have to admit when headed out for ski in March carrying a gun for bears is not something I would normally even think about. I know we get some early risers, but like I said it would likely never have occurred to me that I would need it. It's just not the time of year where I am thinking bear saftey. Of course after reading this thread apparently I should be.
    Thanks, Matt

My Site

Default Dog?

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    My girlfriend and I went x-country skiing yesterday at Campbell Airstrip with my dog. Ten minutes into our trip she felt like something was watching us. As she turned around a big black bear was standing 40-50 yds behind us on the trail!! As we stood there in sheer shock, the bear started heading straight towards us. We began to yell, scream and wave our arms and ski poles. The bear stopped, then started to trot again for us. I told her to get in front of me and haul ass (she's not a good skiier) as fast as she could. I kept looking behind us and the bear kept trotting and catching up. We B-lined for the airstrip and got out in the open, the bear stopped its stalk. I'm very comfy around bears, but this was f**k*d up!! I assume it's the same bear that treed the guy on Sat. I've been out there for 25 years and never had a spring bear encounter. That bear is nuts, STAY CLEAR!!!!
    Just curious Fishgod, what did your dog do? I always thought a dog would be an early warning signal if something was amiss. I would be kind of worried if the dog was too aggressive with a bear though? Thanks

I didn't bring a gun because I've been skiing/hiking on that trail for twenty five years and never had a problem like this. My dog is an English Pointer. She's very good with pointing everything except birds and rabbits. If she points it's always a person, coyote, moose, or a bear. She locked up and (pointed) on the trail. I told her to hold point, I walked up and saw nothing. She locked on to some scent. I told her to come and we kept skiing. My girlfriend felt like she was being watched. As we turned around the bear walked out into the open exactly where my dog was pointing. Luckily, my dog somehow never noticed the bear at first. My pointer is a very submissive 75lb female. A little five pound poodle will make her lay on her back, but when it comes to moose and bears, she gets very defensive of me and will charge right at them. Not a good trait!
    As we tried to lose the bear I kept yelling at my dog to keep going in front of us. Thankfully she listened like a good dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    ... and it could have saved your life.

He's still alive.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Maybe he's not alive.....especially after his girlfriend (probably a fish goddess) read his post stating that she is a "bad skier". Suppose she was just a little slow on purpose, hoping the bear would catch him!

Read in the ADN this morn., good ol Rick is on this ones trail as soon as someone gets hurt.