Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sea Lions

Default Sea Lions

I've heard storys of sea lions trying to get into boats when out fishing just curious if any of you ever had probolems with them.I get a little nervous when they get up close and personal mostly because i'm usually fishing out of a 16' or 18' boat and I usually motor away after a bit but i've fished with guys that don't mind them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by pike it alot View Post
    I've heard storys of sea lions trying to get into boats when out fishing just curious if any of you ever had probolems with them.I get a little nervous when they get up close and personal mostly because i'm usually fishing out of a 16' or 18' boat and I usually motor away after a bit but i've fished with guys that don't mind them at all.
    I have that same problem with mermaids! But then again, I'm better looking than most of you guys, so I can kinda' understand why....

BTW, Has anyone seen my unicorn???

Default Sometimes

there have been a few cases of sealions trying to haul out on the bow of someone's boat here in Juneau. Also they have been known to jump out of the water after people. i don't trust those things. A couple years ago a guy I know almost got his butt ripped off when a big sea lion jumped out of the water and bit him and tried to drag him over. It took about 80 stitched to re-attached his cheeks. I haven't had any of my own experiences but I've seen enough pictures and known enough people that have had bad experiences to be a little cautious with them around. 99% of the time they aren't going to bother you, but it's hard to predict when the other 1% is going to happen. Usually when they come around I make sure to keep all my limbs and pets in the boat.

Nickoftime, i'm confused are you trying to be a smart ass or trying to be funny?

Quote Originally Posted by pike it alot View Post
    Nickoftime, i'm confused are you trying to be a smart ass or trying to be funny?
    I'm trying out both for a change.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

fishing around the needles the younger sea lions all jumped in and started to swim around the boat. my girlfreind and kids were all watching over the edge of the boat and taking pics until i shooed them all away from the edge of the boat. i dont trust them either and petersburg has been having the same problems with them on there docks as well.

Default Brown Bear

I was 5 miles up a river on the west side one fall chasing silvers. As I came to a log jam I saw a big brown bear laying on the logs. Having seen them there before I swerved towards it hoping for a picture. They usually just run up over the logs into the woods.
    The big sob was in the water way too fast and my brain wasn't registering yet. When that big ugly head full of teeth came up next to my boat I almost screamed. I was still thinking it was a bear and wondering how it got to my boat so fast...duh. It was a sea lion and he acted like he wanted a piece of me. He followed me down the river for 500 yards as I "got the heII out of there".
    I had seen seals up there before chasing fish, but never dreamed a sea lion would be 3 feet from me, in fresh water 5 miles from the salt.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Had two sea lions follow a whale under my 17 footer then circled the boat for a minute eying me. Made me nervous as hell being that they each had to weigh a few hundred pounds. No jumping in the boat though.

Bring your bear spray with you, I'll bet it works good on Sea Lions too.

I have seen sea lions do some pretty wild things over the years on the water but 2 occasions stand out. One time I had a young bull follow myself and my wife in our little inflatable dingy for a couple of hundred feet he kept on spyhopping out of the water within 5 feet of the raft till we got out of it on shore. We were unnerved to say the least. For those of you who don't know what spyhopping is it is when Killer whales or Sealions stand their top half of their body out of the water to have a look. Another time in Mid October I was pulling into Jacks bay and could see about 400 yards out some tremendous splashing. So I stopped thinking their was a whale Jumping. Pulled out the binoculars and saw a group of sealions acting all rowdy. Two bulls were sparing and then I saw what the splashing was. I witnessed one bull stuck his nose and head under a cow next to him and flung her clear out of the water like Ive seen them do with salmon at times. She did a couple of summersaults and came splashing back down in the water. Then the bulls got back to sparring. I asked a biologist about this behavior and he had never heard of it. Cows are small compared to bulls but I would guess that they still weigh 150 to 200 pounds. So thats a pretty hefty load to be flipping around like a salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Bring your bear spray with you, I'll bet it works good on Sea Lions too.
    I wonder how spray would work?? I dont know but i do know my .454 will work just fine

Seal bombs are the way to go... and sometimes they are legal too.

I can't get this picture out of my head. How would you like to be the guy in a float tube for halibut with a couple of mean sealions talk about walking on water.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default city sealions vs village sealions

I've noticed the sea lions in cities are unruley and the ones near our village are timid and shy. Could it be that we hunt and eat them near our village? I've feed some sea lion that my mom baked to some hunting clients from PA and I asked them, what does it taste like? and they said "like well done roast beef"
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Angry Be Careful Around Sealions

I have had numerous close encounters with sealions over the years and I urge caution around them. In the Juneau area they are beginning to associate boats with things to eat and I have seen and heard about them rearing out of the water and/or bumping the side of boats in some pretty aggressive displays. Throughout the general area (Outer Point-Fish Creek in particular) area they have been tearing hooked salmon off lines for years. If I am salmon trolling and they show up around me I haul in any fish we may be dragging to bleed, then pull in the lines and leave.

There was a post on here last spring about one raising hell and being aggressive with a couple of guys fishing Kings in a small boat in or near Tee Harbor. They were pretty shook up. I had a mature cow come up onto the swim step on the back of my 19-foot Glasply at Aaron Island three summers ago after I dumped my salmon guts over the side. Apparently she wanted to see if there were more fish products left in the boat?

Anyway, I recommend using caution around sealions. They have good eye-sight and can see you tossing worn-out bait herring or chunks of halibut bait, or dumping salmon or halibut guts. To add insult to injury, if you relate a "close encounter of the marine mammal kind" to the NOAA Enforcement guys they will accuse you of "attracting" or "feeding" them and will threaten to write you a ticket.

Default bear jaws

Sea lions have jaws and teeth remarkably like a black or grizzly bear....

Are they a problem are the Sitka area?

talk about walking on water.
    Talk about filling your waders!!!!

Thumbs down They Are a Problem in Sitka

There are some sizeable herds of sealions using rookeries in the general Sitka vicinity. Some days it can be nearly impossible to land a salmon if you are fishing around Vitskari Rocks or over around Biorka Island. No matter how hard you try to get the fish up to the boat before they notice - they will race each other to try to get to the fish first.

I don't know about them coming up to boats or acting aggressive over near Sitka, but I do know that they are masters at tearing nice Kings right off your lines and then ripping them to shreds on the surface behind the boat (for your viewing pleasure). I guess you can imagine how infuriating this latter activity can be if the King fishing isn't too hot to begin with.

Default Elfin cove

Been coming to the area for years. They are getting bolder every time. Heard out some boats harassing the rookeries for pictures. Saw a commercial troller out off 3 Hill blast one that was picking off his fish last year. We fish out of 18' lunds so when they come up on you it sure can be hairy. When the orcas come thu they all come out of the water. Be nice to mimic their sounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast