Thread: Sea Ray boat questions

Default Sea Ray boat questions

I found 28 ft Sea Ray in GA that is fairly cheap. I'm heading down to that way next month. Would this thing be worth grabbing and dragging back up? It sits on a triple axle trailer. Thats gotta be worth a pretty penny.
    http://columbusga.craigslist.org/boa/1086019505.html
    Any inputs? If I brought it back up here I'd be using it at Valdez. Are Sea Rays good in the conditions we get down there?

Default No

Not to be a wet blanket but just to impart some wisdom from past experience, I would not do it. I had a very similar boat (1980 Sea Ray Sundancer) and used it in Seward for a season before selling it. I ended up POURING money into it as parts and pieces started going out. It was truly the "hole in the water that you throw money into". I bought it for $8,000 which I thought was a good deal and ended up putting more than $4000 into it the first year before I sold it for $8000 the following year. I found that I spent a great deal of time into tightening all these screws that would come loose and between the trailer problems and engine/outdrive problems, it just was not worth it. Just add the gas money/wear and tear in your tow vehicle/cost of the purchase and get something for about $10,000 here in Alaska.

You asked for an opinion and this is mine. Just looking at the CL photo gave me the goose-bumps as it looks exactly like my old one.

Default Overall A Good Deal - Except

The trailer up here would be worth almost what you have in the whole package. However the boat is setup for sunny - warm weather - no top. You would have to install some kind of top on the unit to be able to use it
    in Valdez. Maybe have that done down there before you bring it up. Given the amout of rain they receive in Valdez, it would have to be a very good one to be comfortable to fish out of. As far as handling the water - I do not think that
    would be a problem.
    Last edited by akfishnut; 03-23-2009 at 17:19. Reason: Spelling - Format
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

I have lost my crystal ball and cannot predict the future. But, I do know one thing: it is only 3 grand because it is only worth 3 grand........you should call him and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by kaisersosei View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket but just to impart some wisdom from past experience, I would not do it. I had a very similar boat (1980 Sea Ray Sundancer) and used it in Seward for a season before selling it. I ended up POURING money into it as parts and pieces started going out. It was truly the "hole in the water that you throw money into". I bought it for $8,000 which I thought was a good deal and ended up putting more than $4000 into it the first year before I sold it for $8000 the following year. I found that I spent a great deal of time into tightening all these screws that would come loose and between the trailer problems and engine/outdrive problems, it just was not worth it. Just add the gas money/wear and tear in your tow vehicle/cost of the purchase and get something for about $10,000 here in Alaska.

You asked for an opinion and this is mine. Just looking at the CL photo gave me the goose-bumps as it looks exactly like my old one.
    Good advice, looking at Sea Rays archives

http://www.searay.com/archives.asp?t...Brochure%20PDF

It appears Sea Ray didnt even offer a 28 footer in 79 and the first question for me would be: wheres the helm? It doesnt look like there is a helm in the cabin, ok when its 80 degrees, not so Ok in Valdez, IMO

Akgramps,
    The model that I had which looks exactly like that one was a Sea Ray Sundancer 265 which was actually a 26 footer but LOA was about 28. The helm is open at the top and you would need to go down some steps to the cabin. I had a canvas top made for it and it was necessary. As far as the value of the trailer, I would question whether it was worth that since the trailer that came with mine required so much repairs. I would say that I would question whether the trailer would be in any condition to make the tow to Alaska from Georgia in it's present condition unless the majority of the parts have been replaced.

Default Thank you

The advise is well taken. I'll take the $3000 plus travel money and put it into the boat I already have. So easy to look over at the greener side of the fence and be tempted. Kaiser you nailed it. I could be grabbing a money pit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    The advise is well taken. I'll take the $3000 plus travel money and put it into the boat I already have. So easy to look over at the greener side of the fence and be tempted. Kaiser you nailed it. I could be grabbing a money pit.
    Tealer,

No, we all nailed it. He just put it in a way that you understand - not saying you're dumb, ignorant, or anything. I have been tempted too. At least with keeping the boat you have you know darn well what is wrong with her and there are few surprises. That in itself, makes me sleep better at night. Enjoy your boat and let the dude in Georgia enjoy getting rid of his hulk.....Have a good one

Tim

Default Well

I have been working on an 86 Sea Ray 300DB in NC. Gearing it up to take it back to Alaska and PWS.

Here is a website just for SR but does have a lot of good information for any boat. They all think I am a little strange being from Alaska. Same name as here.

http://www.clubsearay.com/

Here is a picture of my boat just after I bought it. You will see my post in the classic forum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/