Thread: Tips please

Default Tips please

I would like to know what the top 5 Veggies to grow in Ak.
    I live in Los Anch. Wife has been wanting to grow veg. again. She was raised in Oklahoma and is home sick for a green thumb.
    What seeds should I buy Her??

Thanks for any advice.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Carrots, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, and lettuce if I were restricted to 5.
    Others you might want to consider and Beets, Zuccini, onions, peas, and cabbage.
    It just depends on what you like.

Default Thanks

Zuccini, onions, peas, all of which I like.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I like collard greens or swiss chard. Southern thing
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Wow! I was going to suggest to choosing your wife's favorite 5 and sticking to those because you know that there will be a ton of love, patience, and care that goes into her garden if they are vegis that she will eventually eat.
    That's what I suggest.

We chose corn, but it grows terrible in Alaska. We are going to try it because I desperately would like some fresh corn. I know that there will be far more attention to it because I know that it want it to survive more than what I would even want cucumbers to survive.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    Wow! I was going to suggest to choosing your wife's favorite 5 and sticking to those because you know that there will be a ton of love, patience, and care that goes into her garden if they are vegis that she will eventually eat.
    That's what I suggest.

We chose corn, but it grows terrible in Alaska. We are going to try it because I desperately would like some fresh corn. I know that there will be far more attention to it because I know that it want it to survive more than what I would even want cucumbers to survive.
    No coffee beans?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    No coffee beans?
    Nope... I have you to thank for sending me the most amazing coffee in the world!!!
    Do you realize how many compliments I get for that coffee?
    Lurker.

Default Another Tip Question

I have another tip question.
    We noticed that there is some kind of white film on some of our plants. It's cobweb-like and I am pretty sure that I can just peel it off of our plants. It is mostly on the plants that already have sprouts on them.
    Should I go ahead and pull off this film or should I be concerned that it's white mold?
    Lurker.

Well I don't know for sure but I had some plants gey some spiderweb looking stuff on some plants once. They all died shortly after. Apperintly it was some kind of mite. I don't know if that is what you are talking about though.

It is a mite. You may want to get some different soil and replant some seeds. The seedlings won't last.

I have another tip question.
    We noticed that there is some kind of white film on some of our plants. It's cobweb-like and I am pretty sure that I can just peel it off of our plants. It is mostly on the plants that already have sprouts on them.
    Should I go ahead and pull off this film or should I be concerned that it's white mold?
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    It is a mite. You may want to get some different soil and replant some seeds. The seedlings won't last.
    Arg. That really makes me upset.
    I just purchased these.
    It's only the corn, too.
    I'll post a picture of them.
    My cucumbers look amazing, though.
    Lurker.

Okay... what do you guys think???
    These are pictures of the cobweb stuff on my corn:

Lurker.

Co2, I would leave it alone. I noticed I had some of the same stuff on all of my little spouts as well. Maybe it is the little peat disk batched.

I am leaving my spider stuff on.

I have a 4 inch tall sunflower now... and everything else is either almost an inch tall or spouting like heck.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I kind of moved the soil and stirred it and watered it again today and it seems to have alleviated the current white webbing around the corn for now.

Lights are off and corn is covered.
    We will see what tomorrow brings.
    Lurker.

If it keep happening. Grab a small spray bottle and put a table spoon of salt, table spoon of baking soda and a table spoon of Joy lemon dish washing soap and mix it together. Spray your dirt. it might help... it also works on aphids.

I kind of moved the soil and stirred it and watered it again today and it seems to have alleviated the current white webbing around the corn for now.

Lights are off and corn is covered.
    We will see what tomorrow brings.

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    If it keep happening. Grab a small spray bottle and put a table spoon of salt, table spoon of baking soda and a table spoon of Joy lemon dish washing soap and mix it together. Spray your dirt. it might help... it also works on aphids.
    Thanks... I'll do that if it continues!
    COtoAK
    Lurker.