Thread: Video on field judging and caping

Default Video on field judging and caping

Hey everyone,
    can someone suggest a good video on field judging and caping of sheep. I have read a ton of material on field judging the Dall sheep but would like to see a video on it if out there.
    Also would like to see something on caping, splitting the lips, turning ears and whatnot.
    Thanks

Default Sheep

Start Cutting! Cant mess this guy up any more than his fall did.Just make sure you dont hack up the Brisket like I did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe
    Hey everyone,
    can someone suggest a good video on field judging and caping of sheep. I have read a ton of material on field judging the Dall sheep but would like to see a video on it if out there.
    Also would like to see something on caping, splitting the lips, turning ears and whatnot.
    Thanks
    I'm not aware of anything currently on the market that will fill the bill for you. Given enough time, it wouldn't surprise me to see ADFG come up with something. I wish they'd let the private sector do that, but someone told me not long ago that they have a whole list of projects like this but no money to do it yet. How about it, folks? Anybody out there want to tackle something like this?

PC, I think you're over there in the sandbox right now? My best recommendation for you is to visit a local taxidermist when you get back and have them go over this stuff with you in person. It's not a real big deal, but the first time or two there are some ways to make mistakes. You need to learn how to split lips, split noses, and turn ears at a minimum. You may need to split eyelids too, especially if it's warm out. The process is identical to splitting lips, but on a smaller scale of course.

That said, give me a call when you get in and we can go over it if you like.

Regards,

-Mike

Default Caping video

I have found a video that shows you the steps for caping a deer. Bascially the same steps for any animal. The video is called "8 Cuts to Caping Big Game". Also, Duncan Gilchrist's book shows the steps as well. The video is produced by a small outdoor television show in South Dakota. There e-mail is wilddakota@sio.midco.net phone is 1-877-251-9034.
    I also went to my taxidermist and he talked me through the process. He even let me work on a deer with his guidance. I am sure not all taxidermist would do that but it is worth a try. After going to the taxidermist I now watch the video from time to time to refresh my memory. The video does a good job but it helps to actually see and do one to get the feel. There are some differences between sheep and deer and the taxidermist should help you with that.
    As far as field judging, go to the FNAWS website and you can order one from there. They have two, the basic and the advanced. I am currently waiting for mine so I can not tell you how they are but they were recommended to me by someone who has seen them.
    Hope this helps.

Default sheep

Russ Knight over at Knight's taxidermy has a set of visual aids to help in the caping of sheep. In fact he has sets for most game animals. He'll also give "lessons" about turning ears, lips, etc. Give him a call before you go.
    907 344-5501 in Anchorage

Default Great advice-

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S.
    Russ Knight over at Knight's taxidermy has a set of visual aids to help in the caping of sheep. In fact he has sets for most game animals. He'll also give "lessons" about turning ears, lips, etc. Give him a call before you go.
    907 344-5501 in Anchorage
    Bill, There's a lot of sense in watching it done by one of Russel's guys in the shop. They do great work over there and I've never known them to turn down a learner.

The flash cards he has are a big help too.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default thanks

thanks for the posts. I am going to call the Knight's Taxidermy and see if I can have the cards mailed over here.

plentycoupe

Plentycoupe,

I bought two last year that were pretty good. The first is on field judging and you actually get to judge rams in 23 different situations and see how you did compared to the experts. Jack Acheson Jr. goes through the techniques on judging. You can find it at:

http://www.stoneydale.com/moreinfo.c...TOKEN=42555061

The other is kind of an over view of sheep hunting but the latter part of the tape the outfitter demonstrates caping in detail.

http://www.identicards.com/Products/...div.asp?id=225

Plentycoupe,

For judging dall sheep, check out this video:

http://www.wildramhunters.net/produc...asp?prodid=312

It is one of the best I have viewed for judging dall and stone sheep.