Thread: Xtra tuffs for goats?

Default Xtra tuffs for goats?

I was wondering if anyone has chased goats around in xtratuffs. They are all I use here in southeast and I do a lot of alpine hunting. I have hiked some pretty wicked ridges and peeks in these boots and actually prefer them for coming down steep terrain since my ankle can bend a little when trying to dig the sides of my feet in. I have taken freinds out that use the high ankel support type boots and they seem to always be on thier butts (might not be the boots in all cases). I am planing a goat hunt up north in the fall and I know the terrain up on top is a bit more rockey than down here. I just thought I would put this out there to see if I am crazy and should buy another pair of boots for this hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has chased goats around in xtratuffs. They are all I use here in southeast and I do a lot of alpine hunting. I have hiked some pretty wicked ridges and peeks in these boots and actually prefer them for coming down steep terrain since my ankle can bend a little when trying to dig the sides of my feet in. I have taken freinds out that use the high ankel support type boots and they seem to always be on thier butts (might not be the boots in all cases). I am planing a goat hunt up north in the fall and I know the terrain up on top is a bit more rockey than down here. I just thought I would put this out there to see if I am crazy and should buy another pair of boots for this hunt.
    My roommate and I have chased goats/sheep in xtra tuffs. We're both southeasters as well.. so its what we have.
    Honestly If I had the money to spare I would get a nice pair of boots.. but I don't.. so I just wear what I have. Traction sucks. Sidehilling sucks.
    I would recommend getting boots if you can.
    We are wearing xtra tuffs in all of these:

There are leather, corked hiking boots available which would be a better solution than xtra-tuffs, but if you really want to wear rubber boots get the corked xtra-tuffs.

I've tried the corked boots a long time ago and they work great in the woods or clear cuts but not so great on rock (beaches or tops of moutains). I heard of someone taping the ankels of thier Xtra tuffs w/ duct tape for more support, I might give that a try first before blowing a buch of $. Wish the snow would go away down here so I could get up in the moutains.

Default Tuff

Your foot must be tuff. Essentially.....if your in that boot all the time then your foot is conditioned to perform in it. For someone down south heading north that doesn't scramble in an xtra-tuff wearing them in the mountains could prove disasterous. You have to condition your foot and lower leg muscles to provide sufficient support to your foot and ankle if you haven't done that your more prone to injury or accident. My .02.

I think that the year round liveing in XtraTuffs in the S.E. just makes hunting in them normal.To me walking the shore around here is about the same as climbing for the goats.

I love my 'tuffs (uninsulated, uncorked) and wear them a lot in the summer. I'd never wear them on a goat or sheep hunt though. YMMV.

i used to guide in hip boots for goats and sheep and loved it!! loved having as soft sole my foot could wrap around stuff and i felt like i had better control walking.
    i have since went to a stiff leather boot to save my ankles and i really really enjoy the leather boots too...but i still loved my hipboots. I'd say both work great, just one has an added layer of protection from rolling and ankle or something.
    if you like your tuffs...have fun shoot a goat! but there are some boots that will offer better options as far as traction on wet snot grass and stuff like that.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

i hunted the mountains on kodiak island chasing deer in my arctic sport muck boots....was fairly comfortable with decent traction but i really really prefer my browning leather hunting boots.....they were a little spendy but **** there worth it, those are boots i can wear for 4 or 5 days without takin them off and i can walk thru a knee deep creek without gettin my wet and if i do, i wear heavy wool socks which dry it out quick.....ive been wondering what the mucks would feel like "gellin", probly pretty nice...

I'm a big fan of Extra Tuffs. But... I had my eyes opened to a much better alternative this fall. I purchased a pair of MUCK Boot "Wetland Field Boots" for a trip to Colorado for hunting in the steep hillsides and snow on a late season hunt.
    The MUCK boots - both the "Arctic Sport" and "Wetland Field" have thick, supportive soles as well as neoprene insulation and don't roll over when sidehilling. The soles are comparable to Vibram soles and stone bruises are not an issue when carrying weight over scree or talus slopes. I have worn the MUCK boots all winter as winter boots and never once put on my bunny boots. I can climb in them, wear them with crampons (I will be wearing them with crampons tonight on a hike in the Chugach foothills).
    I guided for 18 years with Lacrosse hipboots and wore them in all types of terrain from sheep and mt goat to brown bear - The muck boots surpass LaCrosse River Kings with airbob soles in durability and have a more rigid shell footbed. They aren't hipboots, ya gotta wear rain pants to keep your legs dry above the knees, but they are excellent for small stream crossings and wading through wet grass or knee deep snow.
    I retired the Extra-Tuffs to a corner of the garage where the old shoes go.
    Tommy

Smile great boots

I have used extratoughs on three sheep hunts now and they are great. I put a pair of stiff comfortable inserts in them. We roll the sides down when the weathers nice and at night to dry them and they dry fast. All boots have their weaknesses and extratoughs suck when sidehilling. But other boots suck when they are soaked walking up muddy creekbeds and tall grass and alders in the pouring rain. I just consider the terrain I will be in before deciding and if the majority of the hike will favor Xtratoughs I use them. For moose and caribou they are great and we used to use hip boots also.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear