Thread: Handgun Scopes?

Default Handgun Scopes?

Which ones are good,which ones are not?

I'm looking to put it on a Ruger Blackhawk Hunter model in 44 mag, shooting stout loads.
    I think I would like a low fixed power or a low range variable(1.5x4), but most important one that will keep it's internals intact under heavy recoil.

I would like to hear your thoughts or experiences ,good or bad.

Thanks in advance

No hiding that I am a big fan of Burris scopes. All I use on my rifles are Burris.

I don't have a handgun with a scope buy my buddy does. He has the Burris scopes on two handguns and a Thompson Contender. He had trouble with recoil messing up a scope or two and then went to Burris. He has been very happy with them since.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have had both these on my S&W 460V and they both worked very well. The BSA has had about 200 rounds on a 12 inch 308 Contender then was put on the 460 for about 50 rounds. Itís now back on the 308 since the Leupold came in for the 460. The Leopold has watched about 150 rounds of 460S&W mag launch now and is doing just fine with the violent recoil. The BSA is a better bang for your bucks without a doubt, but the all American, built in Beaverton Oregon Leopold is a high class optic you can be proud to show off!

$350 Leupold
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=280774

$85 BSA
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=989138

Andy

i use a leupold fixed 2X on my contender with a .35 rem barrel, and a weaver 1-4X on a .375 win barrel. i have used them alot, with all types of loads and have found both of them to be dependable. accuracy is very good and adjustments are high functioning and repeatable.

above 2x or so it is difficult to hold using field positions. don't bother with high power variables, in my view they are a waste of money.

cost of both units was reletively the same.
    happy trails.
    jh

I have a leupold 2X older then sin and it has been on many handguns up to the .475 and 45-70 without a hitch. I have a Tasco that will withstand any recoil.
    I ate a Burris on my .44 because the variable was too heavy for my loads. The tube is ruined because it is soft aluminum.
    I gutted a Swift scope before getting it sighted in.
    My guns eat cheap red dots.
    I use nothing but Ultra Dots on heavy hunting revolvers.
    Price does not mean a scope is better.
    A revolver puts more strain on a scope then any rifle will so you have to chose carefully.
    Be aware a scope with long eye relief does not transmit the full exit pupil to your eye and will be a black hole early morning and late evening when hunting.
    If the gun is for hunting, look at the Ultra Dot, about $130, lifetime warranty and I have yet to break one.

Default I also like the Ultradot

I have about 2500 rounds with it frame mounted to my 1911 .45 with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    i use a leupold fixed 2X on my contender with a .35 rem barrel, and a weaver 1-4X on a .375 win barrel. i have used them alot, with all types of loads and have found both of them to be dependable. accuracy is very good and adjustments are high functioning and repeatable.

above 2x or so it is difficult to hold using field positions. don't bother with high power variables, in my view they are a waste of money.

cost of both units was reletively the same.
    I have to agree with pinehaven on this one.
    I've got a Leupold 2x on my .480 Ruger SRH. Love it and no issues yet. Variable's are impractical in the field.

Default I like the red dot

I have a SRH in .454 casull and I have a millet red dot that has seen plenty of hard recoil (800 + rounds ) I also have a Variable 2-7 in another set of rings that I occasionally use at the range ! The red dot is tops for hunting though ! I havent tried an ultra dot yet and if my millet ever fails I may be tempted ! I do like the closed tube for shooting if the light is to your back at all it seems the open types I have seen caued a reflection making it hard to see through ! Kevin PS make sure the mount screws are retightend after you heat it up by firing a few rounds !

I have a Nikkon Monarch 2 power pistol scope mounted on my 17HMR Ruger Single Six. It's mounted on a Weigand Combat mount that I had bought off the internet. It has been a good little combo. I carry it when I hike to my remote property in conjunction with my rifle. It's simple, has a good field of view, and works good for me. Although me shooting grouse and rabbits with a "halfa pea" shooter will prob. not be a legitimate field report regarding the Nikkon pistol scopes........pick a Nikkon up for the heck of it and check it out while shopping around. Burris are the originators of the pistol scope though....something to think about too.

I had both a leupold 2x, 4x, and a simmons gold medal 2.5-7. While simmons generally doesn't have the best rep, that paticular scope was about the stoutest handgun scope ever made. I've heard the tasco 2-6 is the same scope. I had that scope on various contender barrels and my 480.

While the fixed 2x scopes are good, I found that when I was trying for precision shots at 100 yds and beyond it just wasn't enough magnification, and I believe the leupold is more like a 1.7x in true magnification. The 4x doesn't have enough field of view. I can shoot rifles fine with low power scopes, but find for me with handguns, being able to crank up the magnification when working up loads at the range was a big plus. And for hunting it dial it down to 2x and you have plenty of field of view.

So I'd say either go fixed 2x as they are rugged and good hunting scopes, or go 2-7 variable to have enough magnification on the top end to make having the variable worth while.