Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master guide or Master crook?

Default Master guide or Master crook?

DILLINGHAM
    Wednesday, Feb. 4
    — Robert “Rocky” Morgan pleaded to consolidated charges arising out of numerous big game guide violations committed by R. Morgan in Game Management Unit 17. R. Morgan, a licensed master guide, directed a spring 2007 client to kill a brown bear cub aged one year and four months. Blaine Morgan, a booking agent for R. Morgan, pleaded to a charge of unlawfully possessing the brown bear cub at base camp after the hunt. After a continuing investigation by Alaska Wildlife Troopers, it was determined that R. Morgan failed to meet several hunting clients and two guides assisting with his hunts in the field as required. R. Morgan failed to submit hunt records for several clients. R. Morgan was sentenced in the Dillingham Court to $10,000 in fines with $10,000 suspended, 10 days in jail with 10 days suspended, and a revocation of his guide license for five years. R. Morgan was placed on probation for 10 years with the condition that he not apply for a guide or transporter license during his 10-year probation. Blaine Morgan was sentenced to $500 fine with $500 suspended and probation for five years with the condition that he not apply for a guide or transporter license during his five-year probation

What a joke-all fines and jail time suspended?

Ya thats how they do stuff...looks like maybe an area on kodiak will be opening up....lol
    i've never heard good things about those guys.....its nice to see them getting just deserts...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wonder what the client was thinking behind his rifle when he was about to pull the trigger on a $10k+ brown bear cub?! Hopefully B&C records thoughts weren't buzzing his brain!

Yep-I get a chuckle out of that scenario. Some guy plunked down 12k and his "Master Guide" tells him to shoot that bear, they walk up and see a oversized raccoon laying there...hehehehehe

How do you trump that one up to be a 10 footer?

I see the booking agent web page is still up and running hmm..........I'd be trying to seperate if I was allowing this guy to book for me. Buyer beware.

KK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post
    Yep-I get a chuckle out of that scenario. Some guy plunked down 12k and his "Master Guide" tells him to shoot that bear, they walk up and see a oversized raccoon laying there...hehehehehe

I see the booking agent web page is still up and running hmm..........I'd be trying to seperate if I was allowing this guy to book for me. Buyer beware.

KK
    Metric system clients....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

just like they do it in russia...measure diaganol and add it together!
    Master guide 212

Default Why you so hard on em?

I bet none of you ever thought that just maybe the guy was doing some interior decorating and wanted guuci toilet seat covers!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Kandiyohi Kid View Post

KK
    "Chuckle"? Guess we all have different prospectives. However, from mine, nothing in the harvesting of an illegal yearling brown bear or the loss of the experience of being on a brown bear hunt that was rewarding both from the standpoint of harvesting a good bear and/or just having a good experience is something to "chuckle" about.
    Joe (Ak)

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    "Chuckle"? Guess we all have different prospectives. However, from mine, nothing in the harvesting of an illegal yearling brown bear or the loss of the experience of being on a brown bear hunt that was rewarding both from the standpoint of harvesting a good bear and/or just having a good experience is something to "chuckle" about.
    Joe (Ak)
    I chuckle imagining the scenario of some guy looking at a cub-thinking hmm..that don't look like the bears on the website-but if my "Master Guide" says so it must be..boom. I chuckle because it kind of makes a joke out of the guiding requirement if a "Master Guide" can't tell the difference between a cub and a mature bear. I chuckle because if you are willing to plunk down that kind of cash without researching to exhaustion the guide-you are a fool.

Sorry-I guess I need sensitivity training.

KK

Default If he only..

shot a second one, they could have had matching slippers made.

Default Guides

Maybe a guide with integrity and skill will inherit this area !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

problem is skill has nothing to do with it....
    i know one master guide who wouldn't pay his help cause he thought it was a privledge to work for him....
    i know other master guides who said they'd pay their help.....checks in the mail so to speak...
    i know other master guides that are membersof the APHA that have put their clients brown bear tags on DLP bears that their guides have shot
    One master guide on the ethics board for APHA called a client from another guide and told him he'd do anything to keep him from hunting with the competition.
    I know of other master guides who kept the same meat pole of moose ALL season long and left the rest of the meat out in the field, but that way they always had meat in camp if the troopers checked them....shot a half dozen bulls, only kept the meat from one and of course it rotted.
    Some great guys out there running their own show....saw a hand full of them in fairbanks at the BGCSB meeting a few weeks back...dirty business in alot of ways....its a no wonder residents have no respect for the guide industry.
    Master guide 212

Default Good 'ole boys...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i know one master guide who wouldn't pay his help cause he thought it was a privledge to work for him....
    i know other master guides who said they'd pay their help.....checks in the mail so to speak...
    i know other master guides that are membersof the APHA that have put their clients brown bear tags on DLP bears that their guides have shot
    One master guide on the ethics board for APHA called a client from another guide and told him he'd do anything to keep him from hunting with the competition.
    I know of other master guides who kept the same meat pole of moose ALL season long and left the rest of the meat out in the field, but that way they always had meat in camp if the troopers checked them....shot a half dozen bulls, only kept the meat from one and of course it rotted.
    Some great guys out there running their own show....saw a hand full of them in fairbanks at the BGCSB meeting a few weeks back...dirty business in alot of ways....its a no wonder residents have no respect for the guide industry.
    Jake, you're never gonna be a master guide, if you keep telling the truth! I appreciate you being an upstanding guide, who shoots straight from the hip, and who treats your clients fairly.

Default OK

So maybe I was optimistic, I'll settle for a guide with integrity inheriting the area. Sounds like a lot of the "Good Ole' Boys" ain't really all that GOOD.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

well they had a system set up and when it came crashing down alot of guys didn't like it, cause before that they had some security and this is NOT a secure business so when they lost that it hit hard. they still talk about it or it comes up about every ten minutes at the meetings....
    which is why alot of them are territorial and resdients have had problems and guides referr to runways/animals and areas as "THEIRS". when in reality they are public resources.
    If the new guide concessions go thru we'll see a drastic decline in guiding pressure statewide, which will open up alot of territory for resident/drop hunters and hopefully it will weed out some of the guides who make decisions like the one that started this thread. the plan is to use the new concession application as a filter so to speak to weed out alot of the garbage.
    Whereever rocky was when this happened, unless it was private land, theres probably already at least a dozen guides already usiing it....
    Master guide 212

Default OHhhh My

Whereever rocky was when this happened, unless it was private land, theres probably already at least a dozen guides already usiing it....
    I hope all the poor little deffenseless brown bears are safe; that's a lot of men with BIG guns.
    All of which (I hope) are more honest and ethical than the guides this thread started off about. Salute Jake !

It is certainly difficult, if not impossible, to imagine the scenario that resulted the the yearling being shot. Though given the information now available to all, it is bad enough when a yearling is mistaken by a non-guided hunt, but obviously considerably graver when the "mistake" is made by a licensed guide. Unfortunately, for at least the past forty years, ever effort to implement standards that would raise the standards required for becoming a licensed guide have been strongly resisted both from within and outside the guiding industry. From within, at least in part, out of concern for an available work force; from outside, at least in part, because of the the belief by some that after having harvested one or two bears they are now qualified to be "licensed". Any further requirements are simply an attempt to exclude them from the guiding industry.
    To become either registered or licensed as a "master" guide part of the process requires some favorable recommendations from guided clients.
    The "thread" regarding the sow harvested as a DLP really demonstrates part of the problem. From the client's prospective (and a number responding to the thread) the situation was handled professionally, from a professional prospective the actions by the guide generate several serious concerns.
    It is interesting, and depressing, the number of cavalier comments in this thread regarding the killing of an illegal animal.
    Joe (Ak)

Default guide or hero

Are you sure he was not just running his own predator control program?

Terry

shooting baby bears is certianly not the act of a hero.
    predator control needs to have its bounds, its not called predator eradication. And just because a couple areas of the state are having problems with the bears and have established some severe regulations to help with that, don't mean every area of the state is that way...there are areas with bears and moose and no one yelling that the bears have ate them all....i can think of several off the top of my head with amazing numbers of both brown bears and moose.
    ironicly the areas that have established these predator control areas have high numbers of black bears in them...hummmmm

don't matter how you poach the animal or why....still and illegal unethical act.
    Master guide 212

I know a master guide that is not a resident of Alaska. If I understand the regulations, were he to come to this state to hunt sheep, grizz or goat, he would need a guide, yet he guides for sheep and grizz. Does anyone else see a problem with this scenario?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast