Thread: Questions on fish, Naknek river, etc.

Default Questions on fish, Naknek river, etc.

Hi! I am working on a children's book that takes place near the Naknek river. I was wondering if anyone is experienced in this area and can answer a few questions? I know there are salmon in this river, as well as grayling, trout and char. Strange question I know, but are any of these fish small (even the young), as in small enough to fit in my hand, or even tinier? This is somewhat important for my story. Also is it realistic to state that some areas do have "rushing waters" or rapids (not huge), and there is forest nearby or close to the banks? (porcupines, caribou, rabbits, etc) Thank you so much!

Default Children's Book

Sounds like a great opportunity!!!

Here is an email for a lodge owner on the Kvichak River (by Naknek). George Riddle lives in Naknek also...

blueberryislandlodge@starband.net

You can visit his web at http://www.blueberryislandlodge.com

I sure that George would love to send you some information about the area and the fish in the area.

THanks Ed,
    I just redid my login so I could respond to this thread.

Most definetly drop me an email with your questions. I look forward to hearing from you.

George

Default the answer is yes

Rearing salmon in the river include chinook and coho which are about 1 inch long when they come out of the gravel. At the end of the summer they may be 3 inches for coho and 2 for chinook. Also in the river are sculpins and other small fish. In the estuarine waters (where the river meets the sea) there are probably 30 species of fish which most have juveniles rearing in the area. You are on safe ground going with salmon as a small fish. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tesspup View Post
    ... is it realistic to state that some areas do have "rushing waters" or rapids (not huge), and there is forest nearby or close to the banks? (porcupines, caribou, rabbits, etc) Thank you so much!
    Yes, all the above plus moose and caribou, grouse, fox, and lots of bear!

As for fish, don't forget the humble stickleback and the blackfish.