Thread: Email from Sen. Gene Therriault on gun control:

Default Email from Sen. Gene Therriault on gun control:

Hey guys, I just got this email from Sen. Therriault about current bills pending in the state. Hope this gives everyone some good info

*note* I did not get the attachment of the bill he was speaking of. Error in my email program I guess.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office expressing support for our constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

My office has received numerous constituent emails urging the Alaska Legislature to be on record in opposing any efforts by Congress or President Obama to restrict the use or manufacture of firearms, ammunition, and related accessories. In reference to the Montana legislation, Representative Mike Kelly has introduced House Bill (HB) 186, which contains many of the same provisions the Montana legislature is currently considering. HB 186 is currently in the House Judiciary committee where is awaits a hearing. I have attached a copy of the bill to this email and if you have any further questions, Rep. Kelly can be reached at 866-465-4976.

On the Senate side, I introduced Senate Joint Resolution (SJR 6) "Urging the United States Congress to reject H.R. 45, the Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009." This congressional legislation would represent the first step towards mandatory firearm licensing in America. At my request, language identical to SJR 6 was introduced in the state House of Representatives by Representative John Harris. This measure, HJR 17, passed unanimously in the House and is scheduled for a Senate vote sometime next week. I appreciate the assistance of Rep. Harris in making sure the Alaska Legislature makes a formal statement opposing any federal encroachment on our right to keep and bear arms.

I have also introduced Senate Joint Resolution (SJR) 3 to support the continuation of George W. Bush's national park rule that allows park visitors to carry loaded and concealed firearms into national parks and wildlife refuges. In the past, guns had been allowed in these areas only if they were unloaded and stored or dismantled. As you can imagine, such restrictions make a gun of little use against attacking predators while hiking in the back country. SJR 3 is currently being held in the Senate Rules Committee.

Thank you again for contacting my interest and for your interest in the legislative process. I have always staunchly supported our 2nd Amendment rights and my staff is actively tracking this issue at the state and national level.

Gene Therriault
    Senate District F

Absolutely awesome!