Thread: Redhawk 45 Colt Cylinder Chambers

Question Redhawk 45 Colt Cylinder Chambers

I got my Redhawk 45 Colt last week. Well, I have a few dummy rounds I had put together to see how they would cycle in my 454 Levergun. 335gr CP WFNGC both in 45 Colt and 454 Casull brass. I dropped one of the 45 Colt dummy rounds in the Redhawk to see how much room was left in the cylinder. Plenty more for the 360gr CP WFNGC at some point. Well, out of curiosity I dropped one of the **DUMMY** 454 Casull rounds in the cylinder expecting that the bullet would hit the throat and the case rim would not seat all the way in the cylinder. Much to my surprise it dropped right in. The 335gr CP bullet does not even reach the end of the cylinder.

Now I know better than to load up some 454 rounds and fire them in this 45 Colt. (**see the disclaimer) But my question is about the chambers. What is the internal geometry? What is the difference between the Redhawk 45 Colt Cylinder and the Super Redhawk 454 Cylinder chambers? I thought the chamber narrowed at the end of the brass which would be the beginning of the throat. I figured the 454 wouldn't drop in all the way. What am I missing?

**DISCLAIMER!! NEVER use any ammo other that what the factory says the gun is designed for!!!

Default I would be apprehensive.

Snyd,

Your caution is well-placed. I understand that Ruger uses a different, stronger steel in their 454 Casull cylinders than in their 45 Colt cylinders.

If the chambers are reamed out to accept the 454 Casull (are all six willing to accept the 454 brass? and have your tried factory rounds, not just your reloads?) you may have a factory mistake on your hands. Just speculation.

If all chambers will accept factory Casull rounds, a call to Ruger might be in order. Or even if not all six. If your chamber and thrat dimensions are irregular, you are bound to have accuracy issues, at least.

Lost Sheep

Default Odd indeed!

Your original thinking that the throat would stop it should be the case. It could be that your Ruger is older and made before the 454 started to get popular in the 90ís and they punched them deeper. Just a thought though, it could be about anything. Maybe they put a 454 cylinder on your 45 frame in a mix-up or because they were out of 45 cylinders at the time. Whatever the reason you are wise not to shoot a 454 even if the cylinder is 454, since your frame is marked 45 anything other than 45 is a large risk as you know.

I would be interested to know what Ruger has to say about your cylinder, you may be able to get it replaced as a safety risk if you want. Please report back if you do contact them about it, inquiring minds and all.

Andy

Thanks guys. The gun is a brand spankin new 4 inch. I crimped the rounds I loaded with a Lee Factory crimp die which also post resizes the case. But, theoretically shouldn't they still NOT drop in all the way? I just tried some new Starline empty resized brass. It does NOT quite drop in all the way. I'll make sure I keep the 454 rounds away from the 45's. As it looks now, a person could accidently drop 454's in the thing and be able to close the cylinder. I guess depending on the load the cylinder could go boom on the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Now I know better than to load up some 454 rounds and fire them in this 45 Colt. (**see the disclaimer) But my question is about the chambers. What is the internal geometry? What is the difference between the Redhawk 45 Colt Cylinder and the Super Redhawk 454 Cylinder chambers? I thought the chamber narrowed at the end of the brass which would be the beginning of the throat. I figured the 454 wouldn't drop in all the way. What am I missing?

**DISCLAIMER!! NEVER use any ammo other that what the factory says the gun is designed for!!!
    FYI,
    While I've heard of people doing it safe, the official word from PUMA is also as your disclaimer states... That you shouldn't use .45LC in the .454 Puma levergun.

http://www.legacysports.com/faq/index.html

Can I shoot 45 Colt with my .454 Casull or 44 Special with my 44 Mag?

No. Shooting any caliber in any firearm, other than what is stamped on the firearm is dangerous and will void your warranty.