Thread: What's wrong with my magazine?

Default What's wrong with my magazine?

I have the REM 522 Viper in .22 cal. & tried to sight in my rifle today & the magazine wasn't feeding the rounds...I took the spring out of the mag, & streched it a little, & that seemed only to help for the last two rounds. I have to move the plastic red spring compressor up in order to feed the receiver/chamber rounds...do I need to lube the spring & sidewalls(using graphite of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    I have the REM 522 Viper in .22 cal. & tried to sight in my rifle today & the magazine wasn't feeding the rounds...I took the spring out of the mag, & streched it a little, & that seemed only to help for the last two rounds. I have to move the plastic red spring compressor up in order to feed the receiver/chamber rounds...do I need to lube the spring & sidewalls(using graphite of course)?
    Clean the whole rifle carefully. What ammo are you using? The only cartridges I have found to work well in the cold are Remington in the green plastic box, and the Eley and Federal premium match.

I just was out with my modded 10/22 using Eley, which normally shoots dime sized groups at 50 yards. I fired two mags at my target, and only 2 bullets hit the bullseye, the rest were scattered evenly around it in a pattern 8 inches across. My cartridges are old, having been bounced around on my snogo too much. I used fresh ammo and the results were what I expected.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Default Am using Rem ammo...

"What ammo are you using?" as well...but in the yellow see through box...When I first bought the rifle, it worked well, but then again, it wasn't sub zero temps, like they were today, I guess the cold weather is constricting the poly material eh?

Not sure about your setup but my Smith m22A pistol will not feed when it gets really cold. The magazine is a very thin metal and I think it actually constricts and binds the spring and follower. If I keep the mag in my inner pocket against my body I can slap it in and it will feed but not not if I leave it in the gun in a backpack or holster . Kind of sux since I got it for birds while riding the sno-go. Actually the whole thing is really junk cause it won't cycle regardless of the temp <grin>

Thumbs up did a lil smithing...

& it's working fine...I took out the spring, & moved the red holder up & down as quickly as I could, & felt where the red holder is contacting...I pulled out the holder, & filed the contact points down a bit & put it back in & it's working fine now...