Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Glue for Gold Tip Inserts?

  1. #1
    Member jmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the end of the cul-de-sac
    Posts
    964

    Default Glue for Gold Tip Inserts?

    Just curious what you Gold Tip users are using to hold your inserts in? I've had a number of them come out on me and looking for something hopefully a bit more permanent. Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    116

    Default I use hot glue

    A lot of people use Goat Tuff or Gorilla as well. Before you glue them in i would recommend cleaning the inside of the arrow with denatured alcohol (91%) or Acetone (98%). Nothing will oils in it. Also, i like to scuff up the inside of the arrow after cleaning with bore cleaner brush. Then, get out the glue gun, put a dab of melted glue in there put the insert in.

    Good Luck,

  3. #3
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    I use the same prep process that Jeffin Ak described, then i use the gold tip glue. I was told it was the same stuff as goat tuff, just in a different package.

  4. #4
    Member jmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the end of the cul-de-sac
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Thanks guys. I assume "Goat Tuff" is something I can pick up at Fred's or Wally World?
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

  5. #5
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    J i have found a good two part epoxy to work the best. and when building B/H it allows you a few moments to spin the B/H to match your fletches. i have not had a single one come loose since i started that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  6. #6
    Member B-radford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Thanks guys. I assume "Goat Tuff" is something I can pick up at Fred's or Wally World?
    No, its glue that is made for fletching arrows. You need to go to an archery supply store to pick some up.

  7. #7
    Member jmg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    At the end of the cul-de-sac
    Posts
    964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    J i have found a good two part epoxy to work the best. and when building B/H it allows you a few moments to spin the B/H to match your fletches. i have not had a single one come loose since i started that.
    Thanks Vince. I was thinking of using a 2 part epoxy. I get some stuff that has a strength of something like 2500 psi that I use on reel seats for rod building, and I've never had one come loose.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

  8. #8
    Member Alaska Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    4,925

    Default

    Goat tuff has always worked for me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    169

    Default

    i use this process with gorilla glue and it works great, i do not do the glue gun part but otherwise pretty much exact. i use a rifle bore brush to score up the inside of the arrow shaft

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    A lot of people use Goat Tuff or Gorilla as well. Before you glue them in i would recommend cleaning the inside of the arrow with denatured alcohol (91%) or Acetone (98%). Nothing will oils in it. Also, i like to scuff up the inside of the arrow after cleaning with bore cleaner brush. Then, get out the glue gun, put a dab of melted glue in there put the insert in.

    Good Luck,

  10. #10
    Member Rick P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer Alaska
    Posts
    2,339

    Default

    It's not so much the glue as the prep. A poorly prepared shaft won't hold a insert no matter what glue is used. Fltech tight, Duco, Goat tuff and 2 part epoxy will all work great if you do the prep work.

    For some reason gold tips seem to be particularly finicky about being properly prepared.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •