Thread: Glue for Gold Tip Inserts?

Default Glue for Gold Tip Inserts?

Just curious what you Gold Tip users are using to hold your inserts in? I've had a number of them come out on me and looking for something hopefully a bit more permanent. Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default I use hot glue

A lot of people use Goat Tuff or Gorilla as well. Before you glue them in i would recommend cleaning the inside of the arrow with denatured alcohol (91%) or Acetone (98%). Nothing will oils in it. Also, i like to scuff up the inside of the arrow after cleaning with bore cleaner brush. Then, get out the glue gun, put a dab of melted glue in there put the insert in.

Good Luck,

I use the same prep process that Jeffin Ak described, then i use the gold tip glue. I was told it was the same stuff as goat tuff, just in a different package.

Thanks guys. I assume "Goat Tuff" is something I can pick up at Fred's or Wally World?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

J i have found a good two part epoxy to work the best. and when building B/H it allows you a few moments to spin the B/H to match your fletches. i have not had a single one come loose since i started that.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Thanks guys. I assume "Goat Tuff" is something I can pick up at Fred's or Wally World?
    No, its glue that is made for fletching arrows. You need to go to an archery supply store to pick some up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    J i have found a good two part epoxy to work the best. and when building B/H it allows you a few moments to spin the B/H to match your fletches. i have not had a single one come loose since i started that.
    Thanks Vince. I was thinking of using a 2 part epoxy. I get some stuff that has a strength of something like 2500 psi that I use on reel seats for rod building, and I've never had one come loose.

Goat tuff has always worked for me.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

i use this process with gorilla glue and it works great, i do not do the glue gun part but otherwise pretty much exact. i use a rifle bore brush to score up the inside of the arrow shaft

Quote Originally Posted by jeffin AK View Post
    A lot of people use Goat Tuff or Gorilla as well. Before you glue them in i would recommend cleaning the inside of the arrow with denatured alcohol (91%) or Acetone (98%). Nothing will oils in it. Also, i like to scuff up the inside of the arrow after cleaning with bore cleaner brush. Then, get out the glue gun, put a dab of melted glue in there put the insert in.

Good Luck,

It's not so much the glue as the prep. A poorly prepared shaft won't hold a insert no matter what glue is used. Fltech tight, Duco, Goat tuff and 2 part epoxy will all work great if you do the prep work.

For some reason gold tips seem to be particularly finicky about being properly prepared.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.