Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a cabin by hand

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Building a cabin by hand

Hey guys,

Just wondering if any of you have any names of some good books on building a log cabin?

Rob

You just have to google "books on building a log cabin" & you will get a lot of info.

I got a new one of these for $15: http://www.amazon.com/Building-Alask...782014&sr=1-27

Default Personal Preferences

Well, actually I was hoping to get some replies about books that someone has read and used. Maybe a list of good reads. I realize that google exists but would like to have input from older and wiser beings than myself. I really want someone that has done the cabin by hand and maybe knows of a good book out there that goes through the steps and tells why certain things are done and whatnot. But thanks for the speedy reply.

Rob

You can go in person or online to the UAA (University) Cooperative Extension Service. They have books and pamphlets for everything Alaska, housing, cabins, cooking, gardening, etc. Some are free and some they charge a token amount for. The books detail what has proven to work, not what some guy in Minnesota might have gotten by with fifty years ago heh.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Try I belive the title is (building the alaska log cabin) real good reading list all tools needed and explains everything very well.

Default log cabin building class

3 years ago I took a two day class on this; it came with a book that I have somewhere around here. If you can't get any real good replies here in a few days pm me and I'll dig it up.

The teachers of the class have built log cabins in Alaska for 30 years now. I've built many houses, but never log. I had no idea how much specialized info you need to know to do log construction right..

One of the most important things they taught was to learn is how to make the 501 (shrink to fit) corners, where the logs intersect. And a mathematical formula that will automagically tell you every time which log in your logpile is best to use each time you go get the next log. And making the interior walls "crushable" to accommodate the roof settling a foot or two.

It is not an instructional video but it is still well worth watching the Dick Proeneke "alone in the wilderness" film. He builds a cabin using nothing but basic hand tools. If nothing else it will get you excited about the project!

There is one by Tom Walker called the Alaska log Cabin or something that. It is probably one of the better ones.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    There is one by Tom Walker called the Alaska log Cabin or something that. It is probably one of the better ones.
    I'm pretty that is the one I'm talking about.

You would have to use some very green logs to get a foot or two shrinkage.

Default a book for you...

I've read many of the log building books in print and I consider Robert Chambers to be one of the best and most up to date. As others have mentioned, Tom Walker's book is good also but it's somewhat dated now.

http://www.logconstructionmanual.com/

Quote Originally Posted by hiline View Post
    The book is "Building the Alaska Log Home", by Walker. I'm looking at it as I type this.

I bought it on the advice of someone else on this board, and it is worth the price.

Default appreciate it

Thanks guys for the update. SO it's either Robert Chambers or Tom Walker. I hope this summer to put alot of that to good use. Maybe some of us can get together for a BBQ and some Homebrew(or water w/e your preference).

Rob

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    It is not an instructional video but it is still well worth watching the Dick Proeneke "alone in the wilderness" film. He builds a cabin using nothing but basic hand tools. If nothing else it will get you excited about the project!
    I was in a hotel room one night flipping channels and saw this - I couldn't turn it off. Thumbs up!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf View Post
    The book is "Building the Alaska Log Home", by Walker. I'm looking at it as I type this.

I bought it on the advice of someone else on this board, and it is worth the price.

I agree this is a good book... and the guys that taught me are all in in to..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I just received my DVD copy of "Alone in the Wilderness." Really innovative guy for his time. I'd recommend watching it just to "get into the mood."
    An Alaskan Chainsaw Massacre and BBQ sounds good.

BTW, Walker's book is available used on Amazon.com for around $1.00.

Quote Originally Posted by AKGUPPY View Post
    I just received my DVD copy of "Alone in the Wilderness." Really innovative guy for his time. I'd recommend watching it just to "get into the mood."
    He was 52 or something when he came up and built that cabin!
    One tuff old bird!! I saw it on PBS and recorded it on my DVR, then watched it 2 more times that nite alone.

Andy

I have two DVDs and a book about Richard Proenneke. The book is ONE MAN'S WILDERNESS; the DVDs are ALONE IN THE WILDERNESS and ALASKA SILENCE & SOLITUDE. There is some repeat in each and there are a few jems found in only one of them.

This is "bulding by hand"! A wonderful story.

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

Amazing book and Videos. Dick Proenneke is my Here, I mean that. Bob swerer released a new video with all of the footage not used in the original. I can't wait to order it. Also, Building the Alaska Log Cabin is a great book, they mostly teach on chainsaw, but have outlines of building with hand tools also.

The Alaska Trappers Association does a cabin building work shop every few years. Might check their website. Google Alaska Trappers Association. They used to have a video on youtube of part of the work shop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast