Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizz hunting...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Grizz hunting...

Okay so this year i decided that i am going after a grizz with my bow.... I shoot a Martin MV2 at 65lb. and 3 blade muzzy 125grains.

i have plenty of bear experience, and know my quarry fairly well. what i would like to know is some of the issues guys have had bow hunting a grizz... what worked what didn't.... i plan on part of the time hunting from a stand along side my creek they travel... and doing a stalk if necessary. I have 4 bears to thin this spring... the Wife and i are shooting for two of them... when it comes to stalking i will be solo as usual. like i said I know my bears and i Know the landscape... just looking for tips to make it the best i can..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hey Vince, if you need a hand with bear #3 or #4...

I'm also planning to chase one with a bow this year. I'll likely give it a shot in the fall when they open up an archery-only hunt close to home, but I might try this spring further north.

I would like to get one under my belt with a rifle before trying my trusty Hoyt..Good Luck.

Is it legal when using a bow or muzzle loader to carry a pistol for backup.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Is it legal when using a bow or muzzle loader to carry a pistol for backup.
    it is NOT illegal to carry it... however when on a weapons restricted hunt you MAY NOT use it to give a final blow to a downed animal. or dispatch a charging one except in DLP.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hey Vince, if you need a hand with bear #3 or #4...

I'm also planning to chase one with a bow this year. I'll likely give it a shot in the fall when they open up an archery-only hunt close to home, but I might try this spring further north.
    we will keep that in mind Brian...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AK Hunts View Post
    I would like to get one under my belt with a rifle before trying my trusty Hoyt..Good Luck.
    I did that last year. and after i found out how good the sausage is.. i desided a few more wont hurt after all

still not sure about fall bears though... they tend to have eaten alot of my gasoline by then...

meet on face book here

I'll bring the bait and the back-up rifle up.

no bait allowed on a grizz hunt mat...

meet on face book here

so has any one tried to call in a grizz? using the same methods as a blackie?

meet on face book here

Default Grizz

I snuck up to a big old brownie a few years ago that was going in and out of its den.. Got 5-10 yards upill of it in the deep snow and hit the call.. he came out running full bore and never offered me a shot. I did however manage to shoot a pretty colored grizz in 04 with my hoyt. I beleive it was set around 70 lbs, 100 gr. Muzzys.. complete passthrough at 29 yards (spot and stalk), he ran about 25 yards and fell over. My only back up was my wife with the camcorder recording the whole thing..
    Attached Images Attached Images

so when you called you spooked it or ????.........i have a pretty good view point and glassing area... and can call from about a mile away.. it has worked good on the blackies .. and am curious do they come running also..

meet on face book here

Not sure if I spooked it or what.. I hit a snowshoe hare squeeler for about 4-5 Seconds, Put the call in my pocket and was just getting ready to draw my bow and wait for him to pop out of the den.. he came literally flying out and straight down the mountain.. iff I had a rifle I could have got it, but with a bow, I had no shot. Not sure if it winded me, or what.. I assume so as the snow was 4-5 feet deep and I snuck up quietly above the entrence to its den.. I'm going this weekend to do the same, I spotted one last weekend hanging out in a area. This time I may use the fox pro and set up down hill a couple hundred yards and try to entice him in for a easy meal..

start with a LOW LOW volume...there is an old saying about bears...

you will see the leave fall....
    the deer will hear it fall...

the bear will smell it fall......i think they hear pretty dang well too...

meet on face book here

Default Calls?

Hey vince, in ref to the calls, you using a electric call like the fox pro or a hand caller? Are you using rabbit distress, vole squeaks... woodpecker, crows.. ???? I had luck with the snowshoe distress.. but only used it once on brownies like we spoke of on the phone. Interested in trying to call in some blackies.. and at the same time, not scare them over the moutain

i use hand calls... and a cub call too.. i think i will try that one first on the grizz

meet on face book here

Grizz with a bow is definitely on my list. I drew a Kodiak permit three falls ago. I was ready, just couldn't find a cooperative (or stupid) bear that was big enough. Gonna give it a try this spring in unit 13, although I think fall is a better time to bow hunt for bears.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Hoytguy-
    Great job on your 04 bear. Little spooky I assume without big backup over your shoulder. A bow-killed bear is a trophy in any way you can get it.

I'll be on Kodiak this spring. Me and my broken leg. Been 5 weeks now. At my hunt it'll have been 9 weeks so looks like my travel on the ground will be limited, which may be a blessing. I'm going to have to find a good spot and just wait and watch.

Yes, any calling hints are welcome to assist me as well, but I don't think Kodiak brownies call too well in the spring. They are ultra-sensitive as they know they are hunted hard.

BRWNBEAR, where you at? A fella can really use some help these days!

Taylor

-[]------->

Default Marc

It wasnt spooky at all, I had to have the game face on to make the stalk as I didnt have much cover and mostly low crawled to where he was.. I have been puting in for the drawing on Kodiak since 03 and hanvet been lucky yet.. Once of these springs I hope to get drawn and go get a nice 10' plus with the Hoyt..

I was out yesterday and saw a brown about 3/4 the way up the ridge.. about 2300 feet I guess. I stalked to 290 yards and he woke up and wondered off in the opposite direction. Seemed to be a nice one about 8.5-9'.. Today its pretty windy out, maybe next weekend I will give it another go..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    It wasnt spooky at all, I had to have the game face on to make the stalk as I didnt have much cover and mostly low crawled to where he was.. I have been puting in for the drawing on Kodiak since 03 and hanvet been lucky yet.. Once of these springs I hope to get drawn and go get a nice 10' plus with the Hoyt..

I was out yesterday and saw a brown about 3/4 the way up the ridge.. about 2300 feet I guess. I stalked to 290 yards and he woke up and wondered off in the opposite direction. Seemed to be a nice one about 8.5-9'.. Today its pretty windy out, maybe next weekend I will give it another go..
    Lol sure wish i could have made it down...but ALAS.....

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast