Thread: Towing hitch

Default Towing hitch

Hi guys, Im hopefully picking up the new GC in a few more weeks. I was wondering what are you all using as a hitch on your truck. I have a F250 with a factory 2" receiver. Is that adequate or should I upgrade to the 2 1/2". I have heard the 2" will be big enough but I would like some input from a few GC owners. Thanks for all coments.

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    Hi guys, Im hopefully picking up the new GC in a few more weeks. I was wondering what are you all using as a hitch on your truck. I have a F250 with a factory 2" receiver. Is that adequate or should I upgrade to the 2 1/2". I have heard the 2" will be big enough but I would like some input from a few GC owners. Thanks for all coments.
    Your factory hitch probably not big enough. Mine wasn't on my Duramax Diesel 2500 heavy duty with towing package. It probably is rated for 7K lbs and you need to upgrade it to about 12K. That comes with and 2 5/8s ball I believe.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny

Denny is correct. Your factory Ford hitch is only rated at 6K lbs standard weight carrying and 12K weight distributied hauling. You will need to add a heavier rated hitch, like a Putnam rated at 15K standard or 16K weight distribution hitch with a 16K shaft and ball. I don't know why Ford supplies the 6K hitch as standard, but it will not carry your load if it is anywhere near the accurate number. Your Ford F250 will pull around 15.500 lbs if attached correctly.

Default Thanks for the input

I was in Anc. today and was looking at some upgrades. I will be installing a bigger hitch before I pick up the Endurance. Dont want to loose the old girl going down the road.

Default Hitch

Quote Originally Posted by smokumreds View Post
    I was in Anc. today and was looking at some upgrades. I will be installing a bigger hitch before I pick up the Endurance. Dont want to loose the old girl going down the road.
    Got mine at 6 Roblies. They build them bigger than what they are rated for.
    What-a-Day
    27' x 9.5' Glacier Craft - Volvo 300hp D4 Diesel
    Remember: Any fool can be uncomfortable.
    Denny