Thread: ask to see maint records?

Default ask to see maint records?

Now that I'm learning how to fly something has come to mind. In reading some of Mort stories and some of the things that I have heard about some outfits. Does anyone ever routinely ask to see the maintenance records on the plane that they fly with? Mainly the annual or the 100 hour. How about another aspect, and asking how many alaskan hours the pilot has in the particular aircraft you are chartering?

Unless you are an A&P (I am) looking at the records, even an annual (not all aircraft have a "hundred hour inspection) wouldn't do most folks much good. They simply wouldn't know what to look for.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Yea, what Vance said.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Good Luck

Good luck getting them to show you. Most don't even pack their log books around with them unless they are at their home base. Ask to many questions and they'll probably tell you to hit the road thinking your trying to bust them right off the bat for nothing.

I just don't fly with anyone that isn't well known and highly recommended by people I trust.

You askem, Then report back I want to here what they tell you.
    Tim

Default Yeah

I always do. I make sure all the AD's are current and the pilot has a current BFR as well. It's good to look at the ops-specs if you have any extra time.

Joking. I can't say as I have ever seen maintenance records flying around in aircraft. The FAA does a fairly good job of making sure the paperwork is in line (pt 135 air taxis). That doesn't have to reflect the aircraft or pilot I suppose.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Now that I'm learning how to fly something has come to mind. In reading some of Mort stories and some of the things that I have heard about some outfits. Does anyone ever routinely ask to see the maintenance records on the plane that they fly with? Mainly the annual or the 100 hour. How about another aspect, and asking how many alaskan hours the pilot has in the particular aircraft you are chartering?
    You should also ask to see the survival equipment that is required to be on board. While you're at it, ask to have the pilot demonstrate donning the life preservers, if flying over water.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default No...

I like to hear from people that have flown with the pilot. If I talk to several and hear the same good reports, that is usually enough. But I don't just fly with anyone. The bush flight is the most dangerous part of any float trip/drop camp. Ask around. Those with really good (or bad) reputations will be known by many.

One suggestion, other than asking here on the forum of course, go to Google and some photo sharing sites like Flickr, Picassa, Photobucket, etc.. and search the river name and/or bush pilot business name. I find lots of pictures and trip reports from people that have done the river I am looking into (most the time) and then contact these folks. They are always happy to talk about their trips of course and will answer questions about their first hand experiences with the pilot. This is also helpful for getting info on the river itself, the fishing, wildlife, safey hazards and such. So little info on many remote Alaska rivers in print. Word of mouth is the best info I have found. Google and the photo sharing sites are tops in my opinion for doing this.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

It might surprise them a bit if you ask them to see the records. I wouldn't think it would turn them off too much if you asked in the right way though.

I have to agree many people would have a bit of trouble looking through them. The bigest problem is not knowing what to look for, but being able to find it. Depending on how organized the records are, it could be a nightmare. Ask you're CFI if it would be possible to do a lesson on maintenance records. Knowing what to look for is a good skill to have if you ever decide to buy a plane. I usually recomend most guys wait to learn about maintenance records till a week or two before the checkride as many examiners go over them in detail as the first part of the oral. In addition, its a good way to make sure you're aircraft is legal before you're ride.

If a pilot isn't smart enough to forge his maintenance records, I don't want to fly with him.

They are inspected by the FAA. Don't you trust our government?

Quote Originally Posted by bustedknee View Post
    If a pilot isn't smart enough to forge his maintenance records, I don't want to fly with him.
    HA... thats great
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    It might surprise them a bit if you ask them to see the records. I wouldn't think it would turn them off too much if you asked in the right way though.
    I've never thought about asking for records, but I would definitely think twice before flying with a pilot who got turned off by me asking to see anything that has a direct bearing on my well being.

Default revoked license

There was an outfit in Juneau that had it's licensed revoked for falsifying maintaince records last year.

I wouldn't ask for maintance records......for the local outfits here in Sitka.....you just know the ones that have enough regional fight time to be trusted. The way I figure if they have survived a decade or more of flying in SE AK they are doing something right.

What's the saying?.........

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots......but there are no old bold pilots.

Many operators won't even have their maint. records at the same place that they operate out of. They aren't required to keep records with the plane.
    There are some documents required to be displayed in plain sight in the plane. Others are just required to be with the aircraft (weight and balance is one).
    Can you imagine trying to get through a good weather day of flying while having to wait for your clients to sort thru a stack of log books, AD compliance forms, etc. etc.??
    If your concerned, ask the operator who his PMI is (principal maint. inspector). Every comm operator has one. Then call that guy and ask him about the operators maint. and any problems.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!