Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting boots!!!

Default Hunting boots!!!

I'm looking for some new hunting "Hiking" boots I need some help I have owned Rockys, Danners, Irish Setters, Lacross, Etc and I do alot of traveling on foot and use them most every day and I have yet to have a pair that last over 6 months before they start to leak and fall apair. I'm not afraid to spend alot of money on a pair if they would last!! I'm looking for any suggestions any help would be great!!!

Thanks
    Aaron

Go to Barneys if you are in Anchorage and try on the Lowa GTX Extremes, It will take you a while to walk the life out of them!

I was looking into them but could not find a place to order them except over seas? I live in Wisconsin so I would need to order them does Barney's have a website?

Aaron

Order from Schnees, called the Sheephunter, or from Shoebuy.com.

After much searching I ended up with a set of these a couple of weeks ago.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...927&hasJS=true

Cabela's 9" 400-gram Outfitter Series™ Pro Hunting Boots.

So far I've just been wearing them around town, but I really like the feel & construction. I'd be surprised if I don't get several years of service from them with reasonable care.
    I think they will make a great all around 3 season (Alaska seasons) boot for both the mountains & the "flat lands".
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If you are in Wisconsin is there a Scheels Sports nearby? They should carry Kenetrek, whose Mountain Extreme is similar to the Lowa GTX Extreme. I have been very pleased with my Kenetreks; I have a friend who wears the Lowas and he has had good luck with them as well.

Default I agree with Kenetrek

They are the best pair of boots I've ever owed. Had one problem with the sole of one boot getting a bit damp when in really wet conditions. They told me they should not be doing this. I sent them back and they sent me a new pair of boots which are the newer model. The quality is great and their service is fantastic.
    Good luck and happy trails

try Bakers shoes in Oregon. just google them. they carry the lowa extreme gtx in regular and wide and will ship to you. how much ankle support do you need? for flatland or mountain hunting?

Default Check out Meindl

Here is a link....

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

I have had great luck with these.... way better than my older boots including danner...

Here's a list of Kenetrek dealers in Wisconsin...

http://www.kenetrek.com/dealers-Wisconsin.asp

I don't think you'll be disappointed by the Kenetreks. I'm a huge fan of their Hardscrabble boot for hiking. I've worn them all over Alaska and Montana and never had any trouble whatsoever. I've known the owner of Kenetrek for years and he's a top notch guy. Jim will treat you right if you have any custmer service issues.

Jeff

I have the kenetrek mountain 400 boots and they are a quality boot. I have a couple 100 miles on them and they still look new after an application of aquious wax. I am not sold on them for the mountains but they are a great mixed terrain boot. Very good fit and finish!

I will need them for mountian and flatland I do ALOT of mountian and flatland hunting I hunt about 9 months out of the year there is always something to hunt!!!

THanks guys
    Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Go to Barneys if you are in Anchorage and try on the Lowa GTX Extremes, It will take you a while to walk the life out of them!
    I second the Lowas, amazing boots, light VERY supportive.
    Another worthy consideration are Hanwag boots, if you can find them. My wife picked up a pair, and they are even nicer than the Lowas if thats possible. The Germans have the boot thing down cold

The Hanwag boots look nice, if you can find them in person. If you have to mail order them, Lathrop & Sons charges a 10% restocking fee for returned (worn in your home) footwear, which is ridiculous.

I had the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I got them at the end of the fall. Well since then, my foot grew a little wider and longer (your foot doesn't actually grow, but can splay out and cause lengthening).

So I got rid of the Kenetreks (as well as many other shoes) and got the Lowa's. They provide a lot more lateral stability at the ankle, that is for sure. They are comfortable. I think they will work just fine for mountain hunting and flatland hunting. If you get too stiff a boot, the flatland hunting might be a bit tiring on your feet. The Lowas will do just fine sidehilling the steeps, they are stiff enough for that and the lateral stability is great. I would look at these. They run about a 1/2 size smaller. So I used to be a 9/9W and now I run just under a 9.5w. I have the Lowas in 10W, and one boot could be even wider. Boots with rubber rands around them, you really have to get the right width, as the rubber won't stretch much at all. You can either get the regular ones in nubuck leather and before taking them out use Nikwax aqueous wax, i have the newer brown colored ones. Or you can go to Schnee's online and get the brown full grain leather ones. They said that their leather choice doesn't stretch as much and is tougher, but my nubuck ones are pretty nice. Schnees also won't be restocking until May, so they are out of your size, you'll have to wait. I got mine from Bakers shoes in Oregon.

The Kenetreks might fit the bill as well. They will be great for mixed land hunting, but if you plan on doing some steeps in the mountains, i wasn't impressed with the lateral stability at the ankle. It has to do with the fact that they need to continue the one piece leather higher up. If you look at a pic of the boots, my ankle was giving at the brown/green leather junction. they were comfortable though, like sneakers almost. also, i got tried the 9.5 Wides and they fit my new foot size better, but at the ankle cuff, the edges with laces over the tongue were almost touching when fully laced, not sure if that makes sense. So with time, that would've stretched out and gotten loose. They were made for folks with cankles. I don't have stick legs either and pretty stout calfs. i took some pics and emailed kenetrek about it and can send them to you if you would like.

good luck shopping!

Thanks guys I think I'm going with the lowa or kenetreks have not decided yet both are about the same price and I have a hard time spending that kinda money for a boot with the luck I have with boots but if they would last me 2 years that would be the same as the other boots I been buying cause I would have to have 2 or 3 pair in 2 years at 150-170 a pair!!

Aaron

Hey guys I found a real good deal on Lowa Hunter GTX Extreme's they are $276 but you might know they don't have my size they are disontinueing them the sizes are limited but check it out its on www.zappos.com

Thanks
    Aaron

what size are you looking for?

try here: http://www.bakershoe.com/lowa-boots-catalog/index.html
    Last edited by hre814; 03-24-2009 at 05:42. Reason: info

Default Lighter Wt and Flexible?

I noticed that all the boots listed above tend to be super stiff and weigh 4+lbs. I am curious if there is a lighter boot that may be a little more flexible that anyone has used w/good results? My preference here in Colo sheep and mtn goat country (drier climate) is to use ultra light weight hikers with gortex. I know we definitely don't get all the rain you get, but it seems like light weight Danner boots may be an option? I sometimes get stone bruises on my feet but boy can I cover the miles!

you're right, lighter footwear can help cover more miles. i have carried heavy backpacking (non-hunting) loads (60 lbs) with lightweight hikers like Asolo Fugitive, also Asolo FSN is another good boot. i recently bought some Oboz boots, their only backpacking boot. they feel great. i tried them side by side with the Asolo FSN and some others. i went with a heavier boot for future hunting as I have never carried 100+ lb loads in the mountains, so i wanted the extra support. if it was just with a 60 lb and less load, i would definitely go with a lighter hiker, and in a dry climate, definitely forgo the gortex.

For those that are not internet search savvy here is the direct link to the deal on Lowa's that bowbearman was reffering to:

http://www.zappos.com/product/7160189/color/12272

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast