Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SKS for Hunting?

Default SKS for Hunting?

Alright, I just bought a very accurate Yugoslavia SKS that came with a 50 round magazine and wanted to go hunting with it this summer, but unfortunately, some friends told me that I couldn't hunt with a SKS. Reason: well supposedly, he said that SKS, AK and other semi auto rifle like the M4 and AR-15 were band from hunting due to the fact that they don't do direct kills, where as the animals would run off and die a few days later. Again, I had no idea about this.

I just wanted to confirm that I can't use any of these Rifles for hunting because I really do not want to end up with a huge fine. If I CAN use the SKS or AK, then what type of animals can I hunt for? Season?

Thanks and hope a hunter can help me.

Default they are legal

Legal, but I would think the 50rd mag hanging out the bottom might be a little inconvenient.

yeah I would agree that the 50rd mag would get in the way. It would be fun for target shooting though! I have a friend that has put many a deer in the freezer w/ his SKS. He just uses the standard stripper clip internal mag. He does have some of the non-AK style clips that he takes to the range for fun but hunting all he needs is the standard mag.
    Depending on how accurate it is it will be good for deer on up to caribou but I wouldn't use the mil spec ball ammo for hunting. You should really move to a quality controlled expansion hunting round. The exception to that rule is many people like the ball ammo for shooting fur bearers like wolves or coyotes since the non expanding rounds do less damage to the pelt.

I hope you have a blast w/ your new rifle!

Oh and by the way, make sure you read the regs there isn't a lot of hunting in the summer, it is pretty much a fall activity. There is spring bear and winter predator hunting but for the most part summer is for fishing.

You can hunt big game in AK with just about everything but rimfire. I would find an original internal 10 round magazine for your SKS to make it more reliable and handy in the field. Make sure you buy or reload some soft points or other hunting rounds. I'm sure 147 gr FMJ would be lethal, but I'd choose a better round myself.

Thumbs down Nice Friends...

"unfortunately, some friends told me that I couldn't hunt with a SKS."

Who the heck are your "friends" that told you this?

Your friends are wrong. 7.62x39 is about equal to the 30-30 power-wise, good for deer, yotes', foxes, bou, and anything in between. Many natives even shoot moose and bear with the SKS, I sure as heck wouldn't do it though. If you are going to hunt bigger game with that rifle p/u some Remington 125g soft-points, or some Cor-bon 125g hollow-points, terminal performance will be much better than FMJ rounds.

Personally I don't like the .223 for anything bigger than squirrels or foxes, but it seems to kill two-legged varmits all over the world quite handily provided you make a good shot. I can't remember if centerfire .22 caliber rifles are legal for big-game or not, check your regs.

Happy-Hunting!
    -J

Good to see someone else out there is thinking about hunting with their SKS. I have a Yougo as well and plan on hunting deer with it this year. I would get rid of that 50 round clip. I just use the normal internal 10 round mag. I bought one of those 30 round clips and it jammed atleast once in every 30 rounds. I have never had it jam when I keep the rifle how it was built. They are great rifles!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

"direct kills"???

Whats that? Unless you splashing snow with brain materials or blowing chunks of bone outta their necks, everything takes a bit of time to die.

I warn you not to underestimate the gun.
    It IS a bullet, and all things bad happen when they hit what they are aimed at.
    The bullet is the "weapon", everything else is a part of the delivery.
    The round is a killer. Even a .22lr is deadly, and respect shoud be given to ALL guns.
    I bet theres a couple million Dead people and probly as many Dead animals that show how good of a round the 7.62X39 really is.

It wasnt made for long range,though. I would keep all my shots to within 200 yards.
    The ballistic arc of the round is hard for me to judge after 200 yards with certaity, in my AK.
    I have a .223 AK that is good to 250, with the open sights.

Theres good commercial ammo out there, as most milsurp is rather lax in specs and not terribly consistant in velocity, as the soviets preached and lived "Spray and pray". Its better to get some quality ammo that squeezes the accuracy out of that SKS, because what matters in a hunt is placing that bullet into the right place.
    Shot placement is everything, so dont skimp on the ammo. Yougslavian milsurp ammo is an exception (Like Czech 7.62X54R LPS)is know to be accurate, so You might pay the price and get a case, so you can shoot to adnausiam and become proficiant before you hunt..

.22lr is legal on biggame, I'm certain its Caribou, that are swimming in the rivers in GM 23.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Reason: well supposedly, he said that SKS, AK and other semi auto rifle like the M4 and AR-15 were band from hunting due to the fact that they don't do direct kills, where as the animals would run off and die a few days later.
    Your "friend" is full of it. They aren't banned for hunting use.

I know plenty of bushkins along the Yukon River and out here on the AKPEN that hunt with an SKS or AK clone. Hell, nearly the entire village of Kaltag is armed with SKSs. Like anything else you have to put the holes in the right place.
    Now what ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Am i wrong in thinking there is a limit on mag size when hunting though? i always thought it was 5....in a centerfire...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I think you should tell your friends that they (the friends) are banned from hunting.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Am i wrong in thinking there is a limit on mag size when hunting though? i always thought it was 5....in a centerfire...
    Not in Alaska. You can hunt with a belt-fed semi if you can afford it.
    Now what ?

Default i thought it was 5 too in a mag.

I'll get the regs tomorrow.

Default I hunt with one.

I have many rifles to hunt with, each for a specific purpose. My sks is an original chinese reciever and barrel on a tapco stock, tapco gas tube and so on. Made the gun a bit lighter. I originally bought and built my gun as a tactical goto gun if the scat really ever hit the fan. I stocked up on the 30 shot clips and used them once. I can load on a zip clip 10 rounds in the push of a finger. In a hunting or shooting situation if I need more than 10 rounds, I am calling for back up and the 50 cal is coming out too. As far as the round for hunting. Love it. I use FMJ for fur hunts coyote and such. 147 gr FMJ is not bad on damage, the hollow point dont do well for fur. The hollow points are a kick for deer and similar sized. I shot a black bear on a coyote hunt last year with the FMJ at 19 yards and it didn't know what hit it. I also have a friend that shot his first elk last year with one. 200 yards behind the shoulder and cow was dow.
    I plan on carrying mine on my sled on the trapline for a long gun. Great wolf gun loaded with FMJ in my opinion and when you do run into a coyote no problem with the bullet for it wont blow him apart. If I happen to run into the big bad bear early on and have a problem, I have faith the FMJ can handle it. I would not recommend the caliber for a brown bear gun by any means, but if needed to it can be done, and has I would think. I know what it does to 1/2 inch plate steel at 50 yards so a skull should be penetrated quite well.

My hunting loads are loaded by a buddy. FMJ, out to 300 out of my gun with a scope. I wont claim and minute groupings, for I don't claim to be a marksman. I will get the load formula for you if you like.

Here is another site with reload details and such for this caliber.
    http://www.ak-47.net/ammo/reload2.html

I buy bulk surplus for just shooting around and having fun. Its cheap and shoots well for plinking bullets. I have killed a few critters with the surplus bullets also, they do kill just as well, but I prefer to have hand loads in all my guns when in a hunting situation.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Not in Alaska. You can hunt with a belt-fed semi if you can afford it.
    Can I hunt Brown Bear with this?:

Just kidding.

Thanks a lot guys for the info. I told my friends they were dumbasses for thinking that I couldn't use my SKS. Got me worried for a bit thinking I bought the SKS for nothing more than target practicing. Well, I showed them this page and it made them feel dumb for saying what they said, because they actually heard it for another hunter whom I know for a fact that is all about telling farfetched lies. Well, I'll go purchase a original 10 rounds mag, because it is indeed very inconvienent carrying the 50 round mag, though it look very intiminating. I did put it for sale prior to testing it, but after testing the SKS, I decided that is was a keeper because of its accuracy with the rear sight from Tec Sights.

Thanks again.

Can I hunt Brown Bear with this?:
    Well yes. Yes you can.

What is that? A tricked-out M1A?
    Now what ?

I have taken deer, caribou and moose with a Chinese SKS.

With moose, just place your shot well. It can be done, but it is a bit light. About the only thing up here I would not try to take with an SKS is a Brown Bear.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Your good to go, guys....

Personally, I stick with my 5 rd bolt actions, out of preference.

My oldest daughter caught her first Cribou at 9 when her brother handed her his .223 AK and she took one shot.
    They were berry picking and his sidefolder with a 30rd mag is his favorite
    "berry picking" rifle,a compact light carry.

Please dont hunt Near Pt Hope......~LOL!!!~
    Last edited by strangerinastrangeland; 03-24-2009 at 17:27. Reason: laughing has ruined my spelink
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Well yes. Yes you can.

What is that? A tricked-out M1A?
    Why yes it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast