Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite mountain rifle cartridge?

Default What is your favorite mountain rifle cartridge?

For all of you folks who own or plan to own a light weight mountain rifle.....what would you consider to be the ultimate Alaskan mountain rifle cartridge? Out of the short action cartridges out there i was considering a kimber chambered in 338 federal, 308 win., or 325 wsm. for my all around mountain rifle. I'm open to other calibers as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    For all of you folks who own or plan to own a light weight mountain rifle.....what would you consider to be the ultimate Alaskan mountain rifle cartridge? Out of the short action cartridges out there i was considering a kimber chambered in 338 federal, 308 win., or 325 wsm. for my all around mountain rifle. I'm open to other calibers as well.

I have a Kimber 84 in 338 Fed. It would be a good one for mountain hunting.

But, if distance is on the menue, I'm not sure how you could beat the 270 WSM. Opps, I just heard Beartooth in my mind say 257 Weatherby. (But thats in a long action)

I've used the .308 for a long time with good results. In the newer cartridges I've recently gotten a .300WSM and like it a lot. I think either that or the .270WSM make excellent mountain cartridges for a short action rifle.

Mine is a semi-custom 7mm wsm.

I have both a 270wsm and a 325wsm. I take the 270 for sheep and the 325 for goat or anywhere where I think I may get into bear trouble. They both have excellent trajectory but the 270 is more fun to shoot and more comfortable to shoot prone, especially prone with one leg cocked around a bolder 1/2 on your left shoulder with an elbow and your toes keeping you from rolling down a cliff while trying to hold steady on a full curl ram... or in my case a ground squirrel cause they are tasty to add to top ramen and my sheep season last year was a bust...<grin>

I guess I'm a little more old school than a lot of guys. I've never jumped on the short magnum bandwagon. I'll take the plain old 270 Win. for my mtn. rifle.

Well I do not own a mountain rifle I have been giving it some thought. Being lazy I want a rifle I hike up hills with to be as light as posible.

I would think a single shot 260 Rem at about 5 lbs of weight would be good. In a 24" barrel it would still be much shorter then a bolt gun with a 22" barrel and not lose any velocity. Pushing a 120gr bullet at 2950 fps or a 140 at 2700 it would produce about the same recoil as a 8 lb 30-06. Sadly I do not know of anyone making such a rifle.

Thumbs up old one.....

It would be a pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight in caliber 30-06 with a 2.5x8 Leupold. How is that for being hi-tech?

Default Tough choice...

Right now my go to mountain rifle is my Kimber Montana in 325 wsm shooting a 200 gr accubond at 2900+ fps, last year I dumped a nice mulie buck at 416yds. This rifle shoots better than I can. Next year I will have a 5 lb custom 300 win mag built on a remington 700. I found it used at my local gun shop, I wonder if the previous owner got rid of it because of recoil
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Smile For many years

I have been using a stainless w composite mod. 70 in 270 win. but I recently bought a new mod 70 Featherweight in 30-06 that I'm going to train to do everything. The last few tmee I went out for coyotes I took the 270 because I didn't want to scratch my new rifle up but I'll get over that soon. It has such sweet walnut w checkering but I'll be using it for bears, sheep, moose and deer after I get over this issue.

30-06 is my favorite mountain rifle cartridge.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I think I may already have one. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .30-06. Everyone who hefts it says, "Hey, nice sheep gun".
    Now what ?

Default narrowed it down to 3

I don't have the rifle yet, but will as soon as I can decide which one. I have it narrowed down to 3:

Weatherby Mk V Ultra Lightweight in .280 Rem
    Tikka T3 Lite in .270 WSM
    Kimber Montana in .308 Win

Just a suggestion but, I would also look at the 338 Win Mag. But saying that I'm having a 338Fed built up, so that's also a great choice. Had a 300WSM, not a 325. Hmmm good but......
    308Win is always a winner IMO, especially if you can load 180's(TSX's) at the right speed, perfect & a very simple little thumper without all the fuss!

ATM I always reach for my 338WM

I'm seeing alot of good cartridge preferences here on this thread. I'd probably choose the 300 WSM over the 325 and I fogot to mention the 300 WSM on my original post. Here is why: The 8mm really has no advantage over the 30 caliber. The bullet selection is better for the 30 caliber, bullets of equal weight and make....the 30 caliber ones are longer with a better BC and sectional density. The largest 8mm bullet bullet is usually a 220 grain......same as the 30 caliber. I've definitely settled for the Kimber Montana. I'm just torn between the 338 Fed., 308, and 300 WSM. I'd probably lean towards the 338 Federal because the darn thing weighs five pounds and my wife already has a nice .308 browning micro bolt. The 300 WSM weighs about 1.5lbs. more. The 84M was a major consideration to compensate for my heavy scope. My Burris XTR weighs 26 ounces, so even with that scope the overall weight with the scope would be around 6.5lbs. That's not a bad weight for a rifle wearing a 30mm tubed, full sized scope.

Mainer, I like the Montana also. The 84M is a sweet little rifle. I wish the WSM calibers didn't weigh so much more. That's why the Montana in .270 WSM is NOT on my list. I don't see any advantage to it over the Tikka. But the 84M in .308 is a significant weight savings.

Decisions, decisions...

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    30-06 is my favorite mountain rifle cartridge.

Hey, wait a minute. That may be, for this month. But, if you tallied all the previous months of what your favorite was, and counted, I'd bet it is the 257 Weatherby!

Default 308

My all round gun is a 308 Browning bolt gun. Re-stocked & weighs just over 6 lbs. Federal HE loads, 180 gr Partition bullet. Hits with 3000 ft lbs at muzzle. Going to Alaska Sept 2009 so we went to the range sat morning. 3 shots in the heart of a full size deer target at 200 yards

Federal HE 180 gr partition laod hits harder & faster then all 30-06 loads except the HE load. Great gun, light, short blot throw. Wouldnt change guns for the world
    Last edited by Hunthard44; 03-23-2009 at 10:21. Reason: its gun not bun

Quote Originally Posted by Hunthard44 View Post
    My all round gun is a 308 Browning bolt gun. Re-stocked & weighs just over 6 lbs. Federal HE loads, 180 gr Partition bullet. Hits with 3000 ft lbs at muzzle. Going to Alaska Sept 2009 so we went to the range sat morning. 3 shots in the heart of a full size deer target at 200 yards

Federal HE 180 gr partition laod hits harder & faster then all 30-06 loads except the HE load. Great gun, light, short blot throw. Wouldnt change guns for the world
    That's what I use. It moves the .30-06 up into .300 H&H territory.
    Now what ?

Default I think I'm sold on the 338 Federal

The 338 Federal seems like the most sensible new cartridges around. The thing is capable of handling 62,000 psi, and shoots a 180 grain bullet over 2,800fps. The rifle weighs five pounds and offers you the 225 grain bullets without eating up a bunch of case capacity. It's like a short action 338-06, you can't beat that! I'm so fond of my 358 blr but bullet availibility seems to be a big plus for the 338 because of all of the precise long range bullets made. If you shot a sheep or goat with your long range bullet....you could load the rifle up with a 225 grain partition handload for bear protection on the decent. All you would have to do is remember how many adjustments to make to your scope. To me.......that's a 5 pound "Alaskan" mountain rifle. Now it's time to fire up the ballistic software, develop two loads, lay the rifle over my frame pack and see what it will do out to about 400 yards or so. Not a "rabbit creek" sit at the bench proposition but oh well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast