Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goat meat

Default Goat meat

I see a lot of interest on here for goat hunting. I have heard that goat meat is not very good, and in some cases not even edible. My question is what does everyone on here that hunts goat do with the meat?

Exclamation you heard wrong

eary in the season goat is some of our favorite game. stew and burger mostly.
    not always tender , but fantastic flavor.
    my wife likes it enough to have put in for and gotten to hunt herself.
    i hear that rutty goat is no good, but i would not hunt an animal that was inedible.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

The goat I got in August was 8.5 years old and extremely tasty! He was very tough though...mostly had to grind the meat. Light in color...not gamy at all
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default good meat

Had Goat loaf tonight ... it was great ...

Also makes real good Stew and Roasts ....

Default Delicious

While it can be tough even in younger billies, the taste is fantastic. The burger is some of if not the best I have ever had.

Scott

Whoever told you that must not have ever eaten mountain goat. As other posters have stated it is kind of tough but the flavor more than makes up for it.
    I have made burgers on the grill, stew, sausage, and even grilled the tenderloins and it has all been extremely good eating.
    My honest opinion is it taste like beef with a hint of lamb. I guess if you don't like lamb, you wont like goat.

Default very tasty

i shot my billy in late september and me and my daughters eat all of it with in 5 months.i mostly made stew and burgers,the stew was super and i wished i would of had all the meat cut up to make stew instead of have part of it made onto burger just because i love the stew and it was tender and very tasty and preferred goat over our native whitetail deer.im hoping to make it back to harvest another goat for the freezer.

My theory is, and it is only a theory, so don't crank it into some universal Internet truth. That it is in the handling of the lanolin in the hair and the handling of the meat, and as I recall there are two musk glans on the rear legs, the handling of which would taint the meat, if you got musk on your hand and then handled the meat (This may not be accurate).

A long, long time ago, when the limit was two goats per year, and they were harvest, not draw permit, I knew a guy that harvested a lot of goats per year for the meat. He gutted them along side the road, this was winter and they froze quickly, they were hung in a clean shop/garage and skinned carefully by a master skinner (Not me), this allowed the hide to be removed without the hair touching the meat. Hands were washed and single large clear plastic bag was put over the ready to butcher meat.

So the next time someone Say's goat meat is vile, stinky, fowl tasting, awful crap, just remember it does not have to be. I have never had one bite of goat meat that was not wonderful to taste, and a long, long time ago we ate a lot of goat meat, a lot of goat meat.

Default very good

I'll have to agree .. filed care is important .. but that's the same with Salmon / Beer / Bear (except I just can't get with our fish Bear any time of year) ....

There use to be allot of Mt Goat meat hunters here out of Ketchikan .. when the charter fare was reasonable. But that is not the case any more with Charter fares running at $700 plus per hour and over an hour flight each way. Sometimes more than $2000 total now-a-days.

Not much resident Goat hunting going on.

We grind allot of our Goat meat and it is about the only 'burger' we ever have. Better than beef. Have some made into breakfast sausage also ..... ummmmm !!!!!

Thank you for clarifying, I got some bad info on goat meat sounds like. I see a lot of people on this forum talking about goat hunting and it has got me interested, I have never hunted them.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying, I got some bad info on goat meat sounds like. I see a lot of people on this forum talking about goat hunting and it has got me interested, I have never hunted them.

80% to 90% of people who have never eaten Mt. Goat meat are of the opinion that it is not fit for human consumption. And about 35% to 40% of people who have eaten it will say the same thing. I think some of it comes from the smell of domestic goats, and once someone has smelled domestic goats, you will never convince them that any goat meat is fit for consumption by even a starving human. Sad really.

Also a Mt Goat is not a Goat !!!!

Default Cousin to the pronghorn

North American Mt. Goats are more closely related to Pronhorn antelope than domestic goats. They are also my hands-down favorite wild game, I personally prefer Mt goat meat over sheep.

Hoose-

It was like when we first moved to Alaska, a number of people told us that caribou meat was only good for making sausage- obviously terrible info. As has been mentioned above, so much depends on the care in the field- treat your animals like food one once they're down, and they'll taste like food!

The one goat I shot was an old billy, and when we got the meat back from Indian Valley, we threw a couple of the steaks into the frying pan and treated them like beef- big mistake. It was one of those deals where you chew and chew and chew, and the hunk of meat seems to just keep getting bigger. After we managed to get those steaks down, we learned to cook the steaks and roasts longer using wet methods, and everything was fine after that. Great flavor, which was very fortunate since we got over 100 lbs. of meat of the old guy. Good luck with the hunt- if you survive, you'll have stories to tell for sure.

-Tom-

Talking hey, jonnie

[QUOTE=muskeg;458931]I'll have to agree .. filed care is important .. but that's the same with Salmon / Beer / Bear (except I just can't get with our fish Bear any time of year) ....
    [QUOTE]

not sure why the care prob w/Beer - usually just pop the tab & it's ready.

I'm sure it was something subliminal that made you key a "B", rather than a "D".

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    I'll have to agree .. filed care is important .. but that's the same with Salmon / Beer / Bear (except I just can't get with our fish Bear any time of year) ....
    not sure why the care prob w/Beer - usually just pop the tab & it's ready.

I'm sure it was something subliminal that made you key a "B", rather than a "D".

Gary
    Gary - Perhaps he was talking about brewing and bottling beer? If you handle beer incorrectly during the homebrewing process, it can taste pretty terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    got me interested, I have never hunted them.
    Start getting into shape now. It is the toughest hunt I have ever done.

Default B or D

and the B key is not even near the D key ....

actually I didn't know that Goats were related to the "Pronhorn" !!!! What exactly is a "Pronhorn" ?

canned mt goat is great in stroganoff and the like. but i like my goat meat in the form of jalepano cheddar hot dogs made from mat valley meat in wasilla...oh man. best hot dogs EVER!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up low heat...long times...

cooking your goat meat, like pork, will keep your goat meat tender, & juicy...try this experiment at home with pork ribs, & you'll see the difference. Cook one set of ribs on low heat, for hours & then right before your low heat ribs are done, cook another set on high heat, for a short period of time, & you will see a WORLD of difference.

Same applies with goat meat, which is similar to domestic sheep chops...cook them slow & low...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast