Thread: Shop wood stove

Default Shop wood stove

Here is a wood stove I built with a water heater. It is very similar to the the one cabinfields made...but not as pretty....but Now I have some ideas! The paint is still wet.

Tell us about the T handle there on top?

Nice looking stove, I am looking for a 12-14 inc dia. steel pipe to build my wood fired hot tub.

George

The Tee handle is for a damper that cover a hole in the back of the stove. The only purpose is for making it easier to get the draft going. Pull the handle forward and it uncovers a hole near the flue pipe. Push it in and it cover that opening redirecting the heat/smoke path. The lower handle is for the 4" fresh air intake on the back of the stove.

I cut a section out of the top and flipped it over and welded it back on. I cut a round hole near the back of the flipped over piece. The tee handle is for the damper that covers that hole. The reason for the flipped piece is that it make the heat go to the front then over the flipped piece then out the flue. This causes the whole upper stove to heat up and makes the cooking area get hot. The lower cooking area can boil water and the upper gets in the low to upper 200 degree range. The stove works well as there is no smoke coming out of the flue once the fire lights up. The fresh air intake damper allows me to adjust the flame really well. FYI..the body is actually two water heaters one slid into the other and plug welded.

I have one made from 19" id 1/4" wall pipe. I love it and it drafts like yours only front to back. The air inlet low like that will burn wet wood even and I got to watch that I don't get it too hot.

I forgot to turn it down one night and fell asleep and was dreaming I was back in Arizona unable to find any shade. I woke in a pool of sweat to see the entire stove was orange hot, not red hot but bright orange hot! I was worried I would not be able it shut it down or that maybe the pipes would fail and set the house on fire. It did shut right down since its air tight but NOT GOOD to wake up from a bad dream to that!!

I still love it, itís by far the best as long as I don't leave the inlet wide open and take a nap. It's hard to light with the door open so I light the paper and shut it, it will burn 10 times hotter with all the fresh air blasting the bottom coals.

Andy

Do you have plans and a materials list?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Do you have plans and a materials list?

Ron
    Ron, I based mine from this guy's. No real plans...just this website and a bunch of googling. Hope this helps. ADfields is right this thing puts out some heat! I can get it cherry red also, but can choke it down quickly also. This appears to a great design..especially since it is made with scrap water heaters.
    http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...use-stove.html
    Last edited by JamesM; 03-27-2009 at 13:58. Reason: more info

Thanks.

Ron

Learn something new everyday, thanks for the link and pics of the building process.

No problem..glad I could help