Thread: Skunked in the derby

Default Skunked in the derby

Didn't catch anything in the winter king derby, but still had a good time. 70 fish were caught out of about 800 people fishing. I am eager to hear what the biggest fish was. The weather was pretty crappy in the morning, but it got better as the day went on

Didn't fish it, but had a friend get 2 on his boat. Largest was a 25.5 lb. He heard of a 28.5 being landed.

Didn't go out myself. Had some friends and co-workers with me, and they had no interest in going out after watching the first boats go bouncing out (something to do with bottle flu...) So wasn't going to head out by myself and by the time they decided not to go it was too late to try and find a walk on.

bummer... but I was out a couple times earlier in the week and caught nothing, and got beat up pretty good with some nasty water - actually had some rollers that I was looking UP at the top of them.
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Seemed like a lot of the boats that caught fish caught more than 1, and a lot of boats got nothing. Hopefully next year my boat will get some fish

There was a boat fishing next to us for a while that got four, two of which we watched them pull aboard. There was also the boat in the last four minutes of the derby that hooked and landed two at once. Nothing for us, but a good day on the water. It was sloppy early on, but calmed down after 1:00 and warmed up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There was a boat fishing next to us for a while that got four, two of which we watched them pull aboard. There was also the boat in the last four minutes of the derby that hooked and landed two at once. Nothing for us, but a good day on the water. It was sloppy early on, but calmed down after 1:00 and warmed up a bit.
    which side of the bay were you fishing on?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    which side of the bay were you fishing on?
    Both. Started on one side, switched to the other.

we started at yukon, but got a good weather report and headed to diamond creek by 9:30 a and were fishing off the whale's tail most of the morning.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Anybody have any info on what size the winning fish was?

28.5# ..........

1 Thursday, 2 Friday, El-Skunko Derby Day. (2nd year in a row for the derby skunk. I'm not really comfortable with that) It's always a fun tourney though. Weather was cooperative for the most part, though a little chilly. I think they said 70 fish caught (reported). 230 boats or so and 800 plus anglers.

Default Derby

Had 2 solid hook ups on the downriggers and one possible on the divers, I was busy running the boat and we ended up missing all three... What a bummer. One was when one of my buddies was re-rigging a rod. When the downrigger released, he couldn't get the rod out of the holder with his spare hand to bury the hook. We still had a great day overall.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    Had 2 solid hook ups on the downriggers and one possible on the divers, I was busy running the boat and we ended up missing all three... What a bummer. One was when one of my buddies was re-rigging a rod. When the downrigger released, he couldn't get the rod out of the holder with his spare hand to bury the hook. We still had a great day overall.

I went on a charter for winter kings several years ago, and the charter captain told me that you don't set the hook on these fish, you just start reeling in. We were fishing with down riggers and we caught 9 fish in Jan. so it seems he knows what he is talking about, maybe some of the winter king regulars can tell us if it is necessary to set the hook.

hoose - Homerdave said the same thing - don't set the hook, just start reeling. By the time the fish has taken the bait and caused it to unclip from the downrigger, the pressure of the boat moving forward should have already set the hook. Jerking to set the hook in a traditional fashion can cause slack in the line that can cause the fish to be lost.

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong on this description.

Default just reel!!!!

first off, the boat is moving at about 2 knots, so the line should be tight already... also, if you set the hook then when you drop your rod tip the gear can sink and be slack between the flasher and hook, and when you go tight again the flasher can either pop the hook out, or tangle and cut off the fish (especially if you are using the bechtel or "jerry" flashers with the vane on them).. so just REEL! REEL! REEL!!!

I almost never miss a fish when trolling and I don't do a thing since they normally hook themselves. The reel, reel, reel advice is good. However, this has not always been the case and I used to lose a lot of them. One of the little things that is really important is to use a hook file/sharpener and keep those hooks sticky sharp and you will lose far fewer fish. I even sharpen new hooks as they are not as sharp as I would like. It really works and is worth the time.

Default stick em

I tend to find each bite can call for a little different reaction.You sure don`t want to do a tuna set on a screemer,but have had people give a pump on a lite bite.Three tricks that have increased my stick ratio are. Set your line into your release as for as possible ,but still able to trip.Load your rods as thight as you can.And keep your hooks razor sharp.Good Luck...

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default stacked in there?

I never did fish the derby, is it stacked boat to boat with little room or do you have room to fish? I mean I had this guy fishing next to me on Kodiak and he saw we had a fish and he circled over to us and he cut our fish off with his outdrive, he was a new skipper but we were the only ones out there. He is no long allowed in the same bay with me, I cant imagine fishing with that many boats around you having a giant king hit! I mean what do you do? sink the other boats? or are they respective of the boat with a fish on?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Default Kings

Normally I just let the rods do all the work when they release while I'm fishing for silvers and have had great success. I figured that we missed them because we weren't burying the hook. Perhaps my line was not deep enough in the release? I'll still be out there next year!