Thread: Making window frames for sets

Default Making window frames for sets

I've got some walk in land (sno-go in winter) where I'm building a cabin. I already have a bunch of window sets stashed in the woods. Does anyone have an easy and cheap way to build window frames on site for window sets? I've got a small table saw, and various power and hand tools on site.

I was going to rip up some cabinet grade plywood and use that for the jams, sill, stool, and casing, then just put some quarter round or similar around it to hold it in.

I've had trouble finding resources for ways that don't entail complex miters and routered parts.

Smile Plywood?

I'm not too sure I'd use plywood.Weight for weight,cedar would be a better option if you are going to "stop" panes of glass in.I have a 12/12 pitch roof on my cabin, and wanted the windows on the gable end custom made to the same pitch, and stopped them in using cedar for everything.They are not on the weather side of the cabin, but I would be hesitant about plywoods ability to hold up for years.JMO...GR

I am thinking on rebuilding my windows at the lodge with the 1x4 deck material, the plastic wood...can't think of what the stuff is called. I will never need to worry about them then.

George

Geronimo, the material you choose is not nearly as important as how you seal it and how you construct the frames. Cedar, pine, exterior-grade ply, even- George's idea, Trex, will do fine, as long as IT SHEDS WATER. Read some how-to books on carpentry for ideas on sash construction, build them out of whatever works best for you, paint/stain/varnish the holy hell out of them (this means ALL EDGES, even the backs), flash them properly, and caulk all seams. Remember, this is literally a giant hole in your wall, water will try to find a way in, unless you head it off at the pass. Best luck.

Default Pine frames in Poplar log cabin (pics) FIRST TIME POSTER

Hi,

We used lots of rough sawn pine from the neighbours mill. We used 2 x 13 for window frame; we just sanded them with a belt sander, sawed, glued and screwed them together, nothing fancy, they lasted for 33 years so far.

Then we cut out the logs -- used them for posts for the front deck, after grinding, sanding and varnishing, they make a nice cozy, yet rustic frame,

That's the frame from the picture above, installed -- recent, w/in five years, the small frame straight ahead is 33 years old.
    And we made the doors and frames out of rough sawn,

Those are three layers of 1 x 4 pine with tar paper between, arranged at 90 degrees to each other, with new double glazed window, note the planned 1 x 4 pine shutter to the right -- all windows have these. Door and frame is 33 years old, works fine -- no settling logs dried 3 months -- big diameter logs though.
    Finally, our front door is rough 2 x 6 pine, and varnished inside, that's all that stands between us and -40F, and frame is rough 2 x 12 pine too

Enjoy, Good Luck,

Alex,

OH . . . there are places to live-well, other than Alaska, though I enjoyed the short time I spent around Anchorage.