Thread: I am a LOSER

Default I am a LOSER

Hi, my name is John and I'm a LOSER. I could not for the life of me catch a King Salmon in the 2009 Homer Winter King Derby. the only thing I could catch were Irish Lords and those nasty cod. But hey they even taste good if you add a little salsa to them. And for the rest of the bait, I can always pickle the herring....
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 03-25-2009 at 11:53.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Loser, So how was the fishing overall for the Winter King Tournament ? Forecast looked cold and breezy.I couldn't make it down this year...but am sure many are wondering how it went.Lay out some details please...........Thanks

As Dave said on the radio this afternoon, today the Blackfish was Blackfishless. We didn't get any, but caught some sunshine instead. It sounded like about 65 fish for 800 anglers (rough numbers) and 227 boats. Not so good, but a great excuse to be on the water in March.

What the hell kind of salsa can one put on an Irish Lord in order to make it edible? Do you have special recipe??? Also what kind of person actually pickels his bait?

Acknowledging the problem is the first half of the battle toward recovery.

It could be worse - you could be a fishapaloser! You know that's just going to be one big drunken group hug.

heh.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Acknowledging the problem is the first half of the battle toward recovery.

It could be worse - you could be a fishapaloser! You know that's just going to be one big drunken group hug.

heh.
    Ahhhhh yes soggy, but what a fine drunken group hug it will be.

Smile loser...??

Heck, at least you are man enough to fish it. I live in Kenai and have a 26' boat. Every year I think about the derby. Then I think of the work to get the boat ready, the expense and the cold. So I stay home like a loser! Good for you and any one else tough enough to fish that inlet in March.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Heck, at least you are man enough to fish it. I live in Kenai and have a 26' boat. Every year I think about the derby. Then I think of the work to get the boat ready, the expense and the cold. So I stay home like a loser! Good for you and any one else tough enough to fish that inlet in March.
    You are the evil of the world.

Dan and I used to see boats all over Anchorage that never left their parking spots in yards and driveways.... and we'd ask ....

WHY DON'T THEY GIVE US THAT BOAT!?

At least it would get used.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Yeah I was not man enough to go out in the cold march either. Not very many fish were caught... but I still respect those who went out.

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    What the hell kind of salsa can one put on an Irish Lord in order to make it edible? Do you have special recipe??? Also what kind of person actually pickels his bait?
    Even though he may be a loser when it comes to fishing he has the culinary expertise to make anything taste like chicken. We often have pickled baitfish on our moose hunting trips.

Default Salsa recipe...

An old homesteader from Tutka Bay shared his formula for salsa that goes with Irish Lord. He would first have the Little Woman clean and fillet the fish. In the meantime he would row the skiff across the bay to Homer. Upon arriving, he would unchain his bike and peddle to Proctor's Market. In the produce section he would carefully select a papaya, mango, tomato, onion, calantro, basil, and one lime.
    On the peddle back to the Spit, he would stop at Wallace's Bakery for a loaf of french bread. Reaching the end of the Spit he would stop at the Salty Dog for a salty dog, chain up the bike and row home.
    The vegies and fruit were diced, the spices added along with course sea salt and ground black pepper. The lime was cut and squeezed over the mix and it was set aside.
    The fish was then sauted in a cast iron frying pan. With that all done, the fish was fed to the cats, and they ate the salsa and french bread.
    He said the cats ate it just like chicken.

For the gentleman from Sterling that was asking about pickled bait, U are very lucky, as I just happen to have a picture of a pickled Herring.
    SeaULater
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by SeaULater View Post
    Hi, my name is John and I'm a LOSER. I could not for the life of me catch a King Salmon in the 2009 Homer Winter King Derby. the only thing I could catch were Irish Lords and those nasty cod. But hey they even taste good if you add a little salsa to them. And for the rest of the bait, I can always pickle the herring....
    Sounds like you fufilled the losing end of a bet from your "friends" regarding the Homer King Derby. Good karma to you!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SeaULater View Post
    An old homesteader from Tutka Bay shared his formula for salsa that goes with Irish Lord. He would first have the Little Woman clean and fillet the fish. In the meantime he would row the skiff across the bay to Homer. Upon arriving, he would unchain his bike and peddle to Proctor's Market. In the produce section he would carefully select a papaya, mango, tomato, onion, calantro, basil, and one lime.
    On the peddle back to the Spit, he would stop at Wallace's Bakery for a loaf of french bread. Reaching the end of the Spit he would stop at the Salty Dog for a salty dog, chain up the bike and row home.
    The vegies and fruit were diced, the spices added along with course sea salt and ground black pepper. The lime was cut and squeezed over the mix and it was set aside.
    The fish was then sauted in a cast iron frying pan. With that all done, the fish was fed to the cats, and they ate the salsa and french bread.
    He said the cats ate it just like chicken.

For the gentleman from Sterling that was asking about pickled bait, U are very lucky, as I just happen to have a picture of a pickled Herring.
    SeaULater
    This has to be one of the best fishing stories I have read in some time!