Thread: Landing on the Susitna (Log Creek Takeout)

Default Landing on the Susitna (Log Creek Takeout)

I am looking at information about taking out at the Log Creek Takeout, which is just upstream of Devil's Canyon on the Susitna River. The takeout is along that stretch of the Susitna where it straightens out and heads West to East.

From research and calling around it seems to me that there are three options for taking out at this point. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this takeout that they'd be willing to share. Here are the options my research has shown:

1.) Land on a gravel bar along this stretch of the Susitna.
    Questions: Is there a landable gravel bar?
    Is this gravel bar subject to disappear at high water?
    What size aircraft could you land here, typically?

2.) Land on the Susitna River itself.
    Question: The pilots I talked to seem to be iffy about this due to the murky water. Is there a flight service that knows this stretch well enough to consistently land on it?

3.) Hike to the lake ~1 mile to the South of the Log Creek Takeout.
    Questions: Has anyone done this hike?
    Is it doable with the brush and the slope and a 100 lb. raft to carry?

Also, if you have taken out or put-in at this point, what charter service did you use?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-HT

Default Grizzly 1

Quote Originally Posted by HunterTom View Post
    I am looking at information about taking out at the Log Creek Takeout, which is just upstream of Devil's Canyon on the Susitna River. The takeout is along that stretch of the Susitna where it straightens out and heads West to East.

From research and calling around it seems to me that there are three options for taking out at this point. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with this takeout that they'd be willing to share. Here are the options my research has shown:

1.) Land on a gravel bar along this stretch of the Susitna.
    Questions: Is there a landable gravel bar?
    Is this gravel bar subject to disappear at high water?
    What size aircraft could you land here, typically?

2.) Land on the Susitna River itself.
    Question: The pilots I talked to seem to be iffy about this due to the murky water. Is there a flight service that knows this stretch well enough to consistently land on it?

3.) Hike to the lake ~1 mile to the South of the Log Creek Takeout.
    Questions: Has anyone done this hike?
    Is it doable with the brush and the slope and a 100 lb. raft to carry?

Also, if you have taken out or put-in at this point, what charter service did you use?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-HT
    (1) Yes, you can land on that gravel bar. As I recall, it extends upstream past Fog Lakes and even perhaps as far as Watana Lake. Watch for the willows, since I haven't been there in a while and don't know how they might be growing these days.

(2) Please, PLEASE don't try to consistently land along that stretch on floats! If you can get upstream a ways, and find where the Susitna finally bends toward the north, you might try it along the cutbank side. It's a shallow river, mostly, and not to be fooled with . . .

(3) You're scaring me with comments about a raft! Hope you're not planning to float downstream with it! Devil Canyon, as far as I know, is still Class VI water (not survivable!).

If you're going to try a charter service, speak to Doug Geeting, if he's still in Talkeetna. He'll know.

I used to own High Lake Lodge, and still have a few guiding cabins in that area. Used to fly it all the time. Only used that straight stretch of the Susitna a few times, though. Generally, there wasn't much reason for me to be down there.

Good Luck,

Mort

Awesome, thanks for the info Mort!

No, definitely not planning on running Devil's Canyon... I can be bold, but I'm not dumb. The plan is to float the Maclaren from the Denali Highway down to this takeout and hunt moose along the way. I have never been to this takeout but want to figure out who can get me out and with what type of plane and with wheels or floats... It looks like the best thing to do would be to fly over it and see if it's landable before I ask a charter service to commit.

Any more insight would be great!

Thanks in advance,

-HT