Thread: Browns/Blacks in 14c

Question Browns/Blacks in 14c

FNG looking to get some trigger time on brown/black somewhere close but want to avoid something resembling a ship creek fiasco. I was looking at the remainder section of 14c to avoid permits and wondered where any good access points were maybe around Girdwood or Portage either on foot or ATV. I knew CO great until I had to leave, just bought a Browning 325 wsm and would love to get it broken in. Knocking something down would be great but getting outside is better. Thanks for any suggestions...

There is no ATV access in 14C to speak of, other than a limited amount in Bird Creek. There are some opportunities for bear hunting, though. You can chase black bears on foot up Eagle River valley (check the regs very carefully), up Bird Creek, from two different trailheads in Girdwood (again, check the regs very carefully), and in Eklutna (the regs...again). Much of 14C is in Chugach State Park or residential areas, so the regulations are among the most complex in the state. There are various weapons restrictions, access restrictions, etc. It is your responsibility to know all of the laws and to follow them. Not to sound condescending, but it can be a maze, so make sure you're clear before you head afield.

Brown bear opportunities are more limited. Most of 14C is closed, and there are other areas that are drawing permit only. There are small portions of 14C open to brown bear hunting (classified as "Remainder 14C"), so once again, knowing your hunt boundaries and regs will be paramount.

Good luck to you!

Unless you have an air boat or are "the man" behind the wheel of a shallow running jet boat then the 14C "all other" area along Knik river is out of reach. All road access is blocked by private propery. You could fly in to Lake George but that sounds like a little more cash than you are wanting to shell out. Besides if you did any of those things you might as well go over to 16B where they are swimming in bears.

For black bears you could go along Eklutina lake then hike up Bold Ridge trail to above tree line. I don't have the regs on me but I recall there being a black bear season there. I support anyone that wants to go back up there doing it, there are a lot of black bears and that is prime lambing ground for the sheep. Besides how much fun would it be to walk along the lake with a bear rug and rifle strapped to your pack in front of all of those tourists!!

Default opening?

I thought that they were going to open up some of the Eklutna lake area for brownies with archery gear - in addition to opening up other larger areas of 14C by Crow pass for rifles??

What is the outcome of the BOG meetings a couple weeks back regarding the bear hunting in 14C?

There really are a lot of blacks around Lake George....mostly b/o access. I have seen as many as 13 different black bears out of a Super Cub one afternoon flying the Lake George area - scouting for sheep before it went to a draw area.

They did indeed open an archery hunt for brown bears around Eklutna Lake, but that won't be open until fall at the earliest. (I can't wait to try my hand at that one! ) They also added some of Eagle River to the areas open to brown bear hunting, but I'm not clear if that was a part of the existing 14C drawing permit, a new drawing permit, or a registration hunt.

We killed one of those bears this past year. There is a big boar brownie we are after. I am hoping that we will find him w/ his head buried in a blueberry patch this fall but we will definitely pull 3-5 more blackies out of the south side of the Knik this fall! If it was three bears and the salvage requirements were hide OR meat we would easily get 9-15 bears between Mt Knik and lake George. I guess that the BOG is more worried about increasing moose in unit 16 than trying to improve the lamb survival in 14! (They actually stated they didn't want to increase the limit in 14 because it would discourage people from hunting unit 16)

In the mid 90's we would hike into Hunter creek and watch the bears follow the sheep as they moved around the mountains. I guess we should have started hunting them then. At that time there were far more sheep and a LOT of moose in there. Now there are mostly just bears.

Default bears

My uncle drew DS140 archery for October. I want to hunt browns with my bow - if they are not denned, we will focus on sheep, but be ready for bears if we see them.

Either way i will hunt the browns with a bow.

Is the head of eagle river bear with a bow only also?

Depending on weather you may be in good shape. It depends on if the berries are still viable. The bears will be in the berries if they are not under snow. You will very likely have an opportunity at a blackie if not a brown. If you get the opportunity I hope you take it! If we do our part we will have more sheep to hunt in the future. I guarantee that they are not going to approve predator control in the park so we better get it done our selves!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We killed one of those bears this past year. There is a big boar brownie we are after. I am hoping that we will find him w/ his head buried in a blueberry patch this fall but we will definitely pull 3-5 more blackies out of the south side of the Knik this fall! If it was three bears and the salvage requirements were hide OR meat we would easily get 9-15 bears between Mt Knik and lake George. I guess that the BOG is more worried about increasing moose in unit 16 than trying to improve the lamb survival in 14! (They actually stated they didn't want to increase the limit in 14 because it would discourage people from hunting unit 16)

In the mid 90's we would hike into Hunter creek and watch the bears follow the sheep as they moved around the mountains. I guess we should have started hunting them then. At that time there were far more sheep and a LOT of moose in there. Now there are mostly just bears.
    LuJon, if you need some help with taking more of those bears, I will volunteer.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    LuJon, if you need some help with taking more of those bears, I will volunteer.
    I wish that I could take some other people out. The problem is that we have permission to cross private property and it has been made especially clear exactly who is allowed and that bringing guests would jeopardize our access in the future. If we get a trail cut up above tree line in another area then it may be accessible by air boat. Depending on how much summer I get that may be in the works.