Thread: Still gathering parts for 416 Taylor project

Default Still gathering parts for 416 Taylor project

I finally had a friend help me get the barrel unstuck from the action. (rust)

The 416 barrel blank finally arrived via the worlds slowest mail.
    It is unchambered, unthreaded and 26 inches long.

I need to drive it up to Soldotna for threading since my buddy's lathe is bust down here in Homer.

I also got a 416 Taylor PTG finish reamer for 416 Taylor but he did not include the end pilot.....What the heck...

Plus I now have the reloading dies and have already loaded up some ammo for a rifle I have not finished.

The action has some pitting, but I cleaned it up as best I could. See Photo

I have a magnum sporter bolt from a Rem 798, and I modified the action so the bolt handle can work right.
    I can either modify the military extractor or get a mag extractor from someplace.
    I tried jeweling the bolt last night but my little jeweling brush tip came apart and about imbedded parts of it in my eye. I tried other methods (included vocanic pumis ) and it did not work so great...

Since I will iron sight the rifle, I might leave the military safety since it stays up in your line of sight.

I am now looking at the bottom metal and trying to decide what I want to do with it. Buy a commercial hinged or modify the military mag box.

Any suggestions??

I am thinking that I will install a banded express rifle hooded front sight.
    I was also think of a 3 leaf express rear sight, but my eyes don't like those... So maybe I can find an older Lyman or redfield peep sight.

I am even thinking about a banded front sling barrel mount.

And of course the search continues for a stock....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I build quite a few rifles on mauser and if it was me....Install the 3 position from Gentry, Jerry Fisher bottom metal or a Piece from Duane Wiebe (cost about 150.00 less)

For sight I would go with the NECG banded front but leave off the hood. Interefers with the scope too much. Also, if your going with wood the sky is the limit (I have a 4000.00 blank ill sell you) but if not Iwould go for a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

Lastly....1.5-6X schmidt bender...I had to throw that in
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

This gal is going to stay scope free.

A regular pencil with eraser works pretty good for jeweling with a little fine valve grinding compound on the eraser and the pencil in a drill press or mill.

I tried the pencil eraser method but I did not have any valve compound. I tried to use medium buffing compound (no workee) and then I smached up a pumis bar with a hammer and tried that.
    I even tried gluing little discs of sand paper on the eraser tip but they flew off across the room.
    So I went back to the house and watched a movie while drinking a glass of 15 year old scotch....

Default Scotch?!?!?!

Well, thur's yer problem! Ya need a tug o' Wild Turkey to set the world straight! Mebbe a Pudwizer fer a chaser, but NEVER water. Ya knows what fish do in water, right?
    'Tis a proven fact that bourbon makes the mind clearer, especially when it concerns mechanical type problems! Also seems to let a mere mortal accomplish Herculean tasks and overcome seeming insurmountable obstacles......also makes some marginally acceptable female types seem rather attractive, so be careful, tis powerful stuff!

Oh, yeah, think Cratex sticks in the holder gizzie that Brownell's sells. You won't be disappointed, and you've got other work to do while waiting for that setup to show up, though an industrial supply shop should have some if you need something to do while waiting for the barrel threading and chambering to be done. We used to stock 'em by the bushel for polishing aircraft tubing flares.

Default UGHhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I tried the pencil eraser method but I did not have any valve compound. I tried to use medium buffing compound (no workee) and then I smached up a pumis bar with a hammer and tried that.
    I even tried gluing little discs of sand paper on the eraser tip but they flew off across the room.
    So I went back to the house and watched a movie while drinking a glass of 15 year old scotch....
    If it's 15 years old it's probably spoiled; most food products will in that length of time. I always figuerd that's why it tasted sooooo bad . LoL !
    Cratex is the way to jewel; comes in different grits too.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !