Thread: Lancaster build progress 3/21/2009

Default Lancaster build progress 3/21/2009

Well I missed alot of photo oppurtunities along the way but I was in the zone.

1. I got my barrel in. Pecatonica told me to go straight down and not move it back. I did that, but ran into the same thing I didnt like with my first stock. Straight down leaves a nasty gap between the breech of the barrel and the stock. Ill post photos of what Im talking about when I post how Im going to fix it. Inletteing the tang this time went good. There was one little stray that happened out side the line. This will be easily fixed as the gap is pretty minimal.

2. I got the lock inletted in. This was not to diffucult. The edges are a little rough but I think they will sand out fine.

3. I got the trigger in. This was tricky getting it set just right. If you dont have it in the right spot the hammer wont stay cocked. This made my inlay big so I could slide the plate back and forth trying to dial it in. This is not a problem either as the trigger guard will cover it up.

4. I got the barrel tennons in. this wasnt too hard. but they were tricky not to get the dovetails too big. they look pretty goobery cause I had to peen them to get the tennons tight. But again they wont be seen normally. I'm nervous about the sight dovetailing now though.

5. I drilled and tapped my lock and trigger plate, drilled the holes for my barrel pins.

6. I drilled and tapped my vent liner. My counter sink is pretty wide, but I had to do it to get the vent liner to sit flush. I even still had to file down the vent liner. Im not sure how i could have done this differently

So alot done, but alot to do.

Well here is my problem of the day. I have to keep the trigger guard in this spot so the set trigger will clear. What to do with that tab? Saw it off and screw the front down? I thought about sawing the trigger plate off, but its very very close to my tang screw hole and that would be bad to cut into that. Or do I try and find a larger trigger guard? Maybe I got sent the wrong one?

On a side note I inlayed in all 6 of the barrel pin eschuseons and inlayed the side plate. Those little oval pin esschuseons were terrible. they look okay but very tedious. My sidplate.... strayed out the lines again. This maple has a nasty habit of tearing. Im making back trenches and everything, but occasionally you get a jumper

I still think nothing major will show up on final though. Sanding will help out a bunch, as will the stain as will a little dab of stained sawdust to fill in.

Okay, I got that trigger guard problem solved. I cut that tab off and re- soldered it in the right spot. It took a few tries, some filing here and there, but got it inlet, and I believe this is my best inlet to date. Im getting pretty good at diciplining myself with the chisel and anticipating bad moves.

My next challenge will be the muzzle cap. Im on pins and needles about that one! I will re-exam my book, watch my video and may seek help from a freind.

Also I have picked out 4 stains and applied them to some scrap from the stock. So far I like either the espresso or the cabernet. I think the cabernet will have a great contrast with the german silver trim. I alos dug a small hole in the wood and applied some wood filler to see how that will look before I try and use it on my stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well I missed alot of photo oppurtunities along the way but I was in the zone.

1. I got my barrel in. Pecatonica told me to go straight down and not move it back. I did that, but ran into the same thing I didnt like with my first stock. Straight down leaves a nasty gap between the breech of the barrel and the stock. Ill post photos of what Im talking about when I post how Im going to fix it. Inletteing the tang this time went good. There was one little stray that happened out side the line. This will be easily fixed as the gap is pretty minimal.

2. I got the lock inletted in. This was not to diffucult. The edges are a little rough but I think they will sand out fine.

3. I got the trigger in. This was tricky getting it set just right. If you dont have it in the right spot the hammer wont stay cocked. This made my inlay big so I could slide the plate back and forth trying to dial it in. This is not a problem either as the trigger guard will cover it up.

4. I got the barrel tennons in. this wasnt too hard. but they were tricky not to get the dovetails too big. they look pretty goobery cause I had to peen them to get the tennons tight. But again they wont be seen normally. I'm nervous about the sight dovetailing now though.

5. I drilled and tapped my lock and trigger plate, drilled the holes for my barrel pins.

6. I drilled and tapped my vent liner. My counter sink is pretty wide, but I had to do it to get the vent liner to sit flush. I even still had to file down the vent liner. Im not sure how i could have done this differently

So alot done, but alot to do.

Nice progress Matt. Keep up the good work!

Have you tried fuming a piece of scrap wood? You might get a wonderful antique look.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

That's a good solution on that trigger guard issue. You've gotten a lot further than I've managed on my build. I got the barrel inletted, and the tang part way inletted, and then ended up super busy. Always traveling, and too much to do, so it's been sitting still for a while. Someday, I hope.