Thread: FD lenses fit a new EOS EF mount?

Default FD lenses fit a new EOS EF mount?

Hey guys, looking to buy a new camera (canon EOS) and I have 3 FD lenses; do they just screw on to the newer EF mounts found on the Rebel?

KRS

No they do not. They do make an adapter mount for them to work as a manual lens.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

hmmm. I was just talking to my brother on the phone, he lives at Elmendorf (now you're freaking me out) and he was not sure.

Who makes the adapter?

KRS

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    No they do not. They do make an adapter mount for them to work as a manual lens.

By the way... VERY nice pictures on your site !!!!

There are a lot of old manual lenses that can be fitted to the Cano EF mount with inexpensive adapters, but the older Canon FD & FL mount lenses are particularly troublesome. The main problem is the mount flange to sensor/film distance is shorter on the FD/FL lenses than on the EF (EOS) mount. So even if you get them to fit they will not focus to infinity. Depending on the lens focal length you might focus at three feet or 30 feet max. If you are mounting macro lenses to focus on bugs, no problem, but otherwise forget it.

The cure for this is to use an adapter designed with teleconverter glass elements in them. Canon made one with a 1.25x TC to fit their long FD tele lenses to EOS cameras. It was fairly good, but these haven't been made in years and are difficult to find. Very expensive too. A newer version(s) offered on eBay is available, and fairly cheap, but almost everyone complains about the very poor image quality that results.

Oddly, fitting old Nikon or Pentax lenses are easy, but fitting old Canon lenses to new Canon cameras gets very frustrating.

Also fitting any of these will result in manual focusing, and manual aperture control. So stop down metering only. And with some camera/lens combinations the exposure metering can be way off. Av auto exposure does work otherwise though.

You can use Leica, Pentax, and Nikon lenses on Canon EOS (with the right mount, of course). But it's much more convenient to buy a Canon lens that allows you for auto aperture and focus control by the camera. Some Leica lenses are EOS ready, and sold as such.

However, those who like to use the camera on manual mode should not have problems controlling the focus and aperture manually.

Quote Originally Posted by KRS View Post
    hmmm. I was just talking to my brother on the phone, he lives at Elmendorf (now you're freaking me out) and he was not sure.

Who makes the adapter?

KRS

There are quite a few adapters available for FD lenses. As Jim said there are several issues with using them on the modern Eos bodies. Since you already have them though I would say try them out. Test them at all aperatures. They are usually not that great wide open, but significantly better opened up a bit. Here is a link to one of them.

http://www.adorama.com/CZFDEOSA.html

Where does your brother work up here? Thanks for the comments on the site.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Good points everyone... I was hopeful though

I have my dad's old Canon A-1 with 3 lenses that he used before I used it in photography classes in high school (17 years ago). It's been mothballed ever since.

I have it stored in an aluminum case I hand cut out the foam for; it's been stored without batteries, etc.

Anyway, I'm thinking of a Canon XSI. I've read several pages in the photo forum here and not a lot of threads on it so I thought I'd ask for opinions, experiences, etc.

Thank you,

KRS

The Rebel XSi is a nice little camera with excellent image quality. But it is a "little" camera for a DSLR. Some people complain that the hand grip feels too small, so handle one before committing to buy.

If given the choice between the 18-55 with IS and without IS, take the IS for sure. Not only is Image Stabilization very useful, but the IS version is considerably sharper too. Of course, there is no reason you have to buy one with the kit lens. There are better lenses for it if you want to spend the money.

I think the XSi is one of the best entry level DSLRs being made, however the 40D is only about $200 more right now. It is a very sweet camera body, but larger & heavier too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    I think the XSi is one of the best entry level DSLRs being made, however the 40D is only about $200 more right now. It is a very sweet camera body, but larger & heavier too.

+1 on the above.

Got a Canon 40D myself and love it. Just an amazing camera. Looked at the Canon Xti (older version to the Xsi) and the Nikon D40 before getting the Canon 40D. They feel like toys compared to the 40D in my opinion. You are a big guy like me, I don't think you will like the way the smaller entry level dslrs feel in your hands and the way you have to go through the lcd display menu to use the camera. The 40D is day and night compared to these smaller dslrs. Food for thought. Check prices at B&H Photo/Video website. Great place to buy from and one of (if not the most) trusted name among photographers. Link below...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...R_Digital.html

Note the 541 reviews and product rating

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.