Thread: Wader advice

Default Wader advice

Hello,
    I am looking to buy my first fishing waders and would like some advice. I have searched this site and have learned a lot, just need to fine tune my decision. First off, money is a factor. That being said, Bass Pro has their White River Fly Shop Extreme Breathable waders on sale for $99. This wader is a stocking foot wader. I have a pair of neopreme stocking foot waders I use for duck hunting and I really dislike them. The older and rounder I get the more trouble I have getting the shoes on. So I am not sure I want another pair of stocking foot waders but it seems this is what most fishermen use. Anyway, have any of you had any experience with this particular wader?

One more thing, if I do decide to go with stocking foot waders, can you recommend a decent reasonable priced pair of boots?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

the super cheap bootfoot waders cabelas makes seem to be pretty bomber for the price. The aren't super breathable but they should get you through a season or two.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up Cabelas!!!!!!

Go with Cabelas premium breathables. Jedi and I both have been using Cabelas for about 6 years now, and they work excellent. I had the premiums for until last season which I upgraded to their top of the line guide ones. You can't beat the product and service for the price. I have a buddy that returned them when they sprung a leak after 2 years, and they replaced them free of charge.

For boots, I use the ultralight Cabela's boots. They did fine and after walking up and down the Situk last year for a week, I can say they are comfortable to walk in as well. Hope this helps.

The waders are 99 bux last time I checked and the boots I believe are around 40

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

For what it's worth, I bought a pair of White River Fly Shop (BPS) waders on sale for $59.99 and couldn't be happier! They keep you dry and they are fairly breathable and I haven't had a leak yet after a little bit of use. For this price, I consider them disposables, but what the heck, they work and you don't buy breathables to keep you warm anyway.

Just an opinion from a "Zonie" aka Arizonan that fishes Alaska anually and and a river fisher here in beautiful sunny Arizona! Buahaha! LOL!

I have used the Cabelas Dry Plus boot waders for a few years. Great breathable waders and keep me dry. If you want stocking foot, this won't help. But I prefer boot foot. Below is a link.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...614&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I think you'll be happy with those. Just remember to bundle up underneath when fishing cold waters. I usually wear fleece or thick sweats at least. For boots I have Korkers (sp), a little more expensive but will save your feet. Very versatile and comfortable. I actually hike to the water in them, no need for two pairs of boots with the interchanging soles.

Default Real men don't need waders...

what's a little water over the hip boots?
    Joking aside, I've been super happy with Cabela's neoprene camo hip boots which are going on their 3rd or 4th season. They are so comfortable it's a crime. I've always wanted to go with chest waders, but for the red fishing we primarily do, hippers work fine. I watched my dad-n-law struggle and thus completely hate his chest waders (neoprene I think) and he went back to hippers. Maybe the breathable ones you guys are talking about would be nice. Just wanted to say I'm very happy with the Cabela's product I have.
    Jim

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Hello,
    I am looking to buy my first fishing waders and would like some advice. I have searched this site and have learned a lot, just need to fine tune my decision. First off, money is a factor. That being said, Bass Pro has their White River Fly Shop Extreme Breathable waders on sale for $99. This wader is a stocking foot wader. I have a pair of neopreme stocking foot waders I use for duck hunting and I really dislike them. The older and rounder I get the more trouble I have getting the shoes on. So I am not sure I want another pair of stocking foot waders but it seems this is what most fishermen use. Anyway, have any of you had any experience with this particular wader?

One more thing, if I do decide to go with stocking foot waders, can you recommend a decent reasonable priced pair of boots?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.
    I guess you need to consider a few things...

1) Neoprene (far less expensive than 'breatheable types')- In my experience they are much warmer when fishing in cold water conditions. However, they have a harder time 'breathing' and at the end of the day, you kinda feel damp on the inside....moisture can't escape.

2) 'Breatheable' waders are far lighter in weight, easier to walk around in, but unless you wear layers underneath, you will get chilled after a while.

Currently, I use a pair of Wright & McGill 'Essentials' stocking foot wader. I'm going on my 6th season and they're the most durable set of beatheable waders I've ever used!

Depending on how much you are going to use them, the cabelas line is actually pretty good for normal use, and if they do leak, you don't feel bad about schmearing aqua seal on the offending seam. I wear mine a lot for work and have had these make it through 1.5 seasons....but this is about 120 wearings...and they are light, comfy, breath just fine and you can't beat the price. They are a great introductory breathable. Boots wise, their lightweight boot is the most light, comfortable boot on the market....downside, is if you hike or rough em up they make it about 80 to 90 wearings and then the seam on the ball of your foot lets go....but think about how much you will actually use them...for lots of folks these could easily be three or four season boots...and for that price they are hard to...the others don't last that much longer and cost up to four times as much. I'd avoid korkers, they are a nice concept, but the more complicated the system...the more issues you can expect.
    I've upgraded to simms for longevity reasons, but will never turn my nose up at cabelas stuff for normal use.

I use William Joseph Dry-Namic waders, kinda spendy but I haven't sprung a leak in them yet. I would recommend Korkers boots, they are real comfortable to walk in and you can also change out the soles if you wanted to. I have felt and rubber studded soles for mine and I think I paid aroudn $120 or so....can't remember exactly.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Simms

I will tell you that I have used Cabelas breathable waders and they are pretty darn good for the price. But if you want the best quality waders that will last many seasons I would say Simms are awesome. I have the dark blue ones and they are awesome. I can bushwack with them all day and not so much as a hole in two seasons. The dark blue color appealed to me because of how nasty light tan and brown waders look after a year of hard use. Never understood the colors they use for waders. The ones I have are around 200 bucks. Simply the best, I could be biased growing up in Montana though. The company is based out of Bozeman.

You get what you pay for. If you fish a lot, you are better off buying the more expensive waders. If you only fish occasionally the inexpensive waders will do fine.
    I have heard a many praises for the hodgman waders but when I borrowed a pair a few years ago there were many leaks in it after a week.
    I will wear out a pair of simms in about four years but can patch them up to be waterproof so i have back-up pair in case of emergency.

You might try EBay, they have waders there pretty cheap if you can find your size.

Sportsmans had Mad Dog neoprene waders that I have used for fishing and Duck hunting they are great no problems in two seasons probably 50 or so days in the field. In the summer I just put on a pair of mesh shorts underneath and they work just fine. They are 99.00 there I believe

Costco has cheap chest wader again they are the Allen Kenai River ones, I was there yesterday and saw them after I posted earlier they were 79.99 they are a stocking foot as well.