Thread: button to cut O/B power

Default button to cut O/B power

I am getting better about keeping a hand on the go lever when running rivers but I still find myself slow about cutting power when I am going to go over an especially shallow gravel bar. My boat will skim through just a couple inches of water but I tend to vacuum up some gravel when that happens. I keep thinking that it would be sweet to have some sort of a button that would retard the timing and cut power down to an idle as I banged across the bottom and then once I was in good water the button could be released and the motor would burst back to life and off I would go. Kind of like the speed limiter in your car, or a rev limiter. Does something like that exist?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am getting better about keeping a hand on the go lever when running rivers but I still find myself slow about cutting power when I am going to go over an especially shallow gravel bar. My boat will skim through just a couple inches of water but I tend to vacuum up some gravel when that happens. I keep thinking that it would be sweet to have some sort of a button that would retard the timing and cut power down to an idle as I banged across the bottom and then once I was in good water the button could be released and the motor would burst back to life and off I would go. Kind of like the speed limiter in your car, or a rev limiter. Does something like that exist?
    Why not just use the throttle itself?

I do it is just slow, especially if I accidentally move it into the neutral position and it locks, then I can't get it back out quickly. That and if I am simultaneously whipping my 47 turn lock to lock steering wheel then I just don't have the talent to run the throttle too. I think I could do a button though <grin>

Default Wide open

My method for shallow areas is wide open. When in doubt power out. The only exception is if I know I am going to run aground then I just shut it off and trim it up.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I'd prefer that the button would instantly lower wheels to keep the bottom from touching .

Thumbs up pedal

have you tryed running a jet boat with a thottle/gas pedal? it works very well and leaves your hand free for turning.

On my airboat I have a cruse control and a gas pedal.

The cruse control is a cable going the gas pedal you turn the knob to set the speed and press the buttom on the end to disconnet.

Is your boat carb or EFI it would help to know.

2001 carbed 2 stroke 90hp merc jet.

Get rid of the neutral stop. I have my controls modified so that i can drop the throttle to neutral, but won't go into reverse without pulling the lever. But i can go from neutral to forward with out doing anything but pushing on the lever. Not sure what type of control box you have but on mine it was a very simple modification.

Maybe try a suicide knob on the steering wheel? Then you can have on hand on the wheel and one on the throttle. Or try to find a steering system with less turns lock to lock. I tried driving my friends Wooldridge Alaskan with about 4 turns lock to lock, was very very different than my 2/3 turn lock to lock. But I'm just turning a nozzle, not the whole motor. I think we looked into it and he could get one that was 2 turns lock to lock.

Cheers

Default I usually

just tell everyone to HANG ON! and then balls to the wall!

I have only hit bottom a couple of times. Usually when it looks bad, I can quickly cut power, through it in reverse and stop to boat before hitting. People still have to hold on, but saves the boat from nailing bottom!