Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna or Stihl?

Default Husqvarna or Stihl?

Any preference on one or the other?

I'm starting to compile my tools for building a cabin, and it's time to get a chainsaw. I've used a chainsaw quite a bit, whether it was my dad's or at work for felling and bucking so I have a little experience. I'm not sure if I should get one that can be used for large jobs such as felling and for the smaller more detailed jobs of cutting notches and lateral grooves, etc. Or, if I should have two, a small one and a big one. And of course, husky or stihl?

A small one and a big one (IMHO) would be the best choice. I bought a Stihl 031 in 1980 to clear my lot and to cut fire wood for all of the years and it's still running well. I also have a small Husky I won in a raffle 2 years ago and it seems to be a good saw also. But I would lean towards the Stihl.

I used a big stihl to fell and buck ponderosa pine for firewood in New Mexico years ago and it handled very well. I know trying to cut big trees with a small chainsaw can get unsafe, just as trying to do detailed work with a large chainsaw (you fatigue trying to handle to the saw) can get unsafe as well.

Maybe I'll get the husky for the smaller stuff since I'm doing a lot more of that around the house at the moment anyway. When it comes time to clear the lot for the cabin logs I'll get the stihl I want.

At one time I would have said Stihl but now I don't think there is much difference. It is mostly personal preference.
    Chuck

I've had my step dads Stihl 031 since he passed in '98. He had bought it new, so I know it's history. I prefer that over any new saw, but I use it with 16, 18, 20 & 24 inch bars for felling / chopping and then have a smaller husky for detail work.

You can't beat the older saws, but stick with those two brands and you should be good.

Cool, thanks for the advice. I was looking at either a MS211 Stihl or the husky with the 14" blade (can't remember the model) for my small work. There was about $100 price difference, $299 for the stihl.

My personal preference is Stihl. My dad has been using the same 041 since about 1978 or '79. He heats with nothing but wood, so that saw has seen some use over the past 30 years. Still runs as good as the day he bought it. Because of that, when I needed a saw, I went with Stihl as well. I have an MS 260, which was the smallest professional saw they made when I bought it.
    Husqvarna makes good saws, too. You'd probably be happy with either one, but I wouldn't even consider any other brands if it was me.
    As far as what model to buy, I highly recommend you buy a professional saw. They're built to last. You'll never be sorry that you bought more saw than you need, but you will be if you save a little money now only to find out you could have used something bigger or the saw didn't last as long as you thought it would.

Two saws would be better.

I like huskies because they are light, but there are several things I don't like about them. I don't like putting bar oil in them.. pita. I don't like the choke setup. I don't like the filter setup. I don't like that they require a lot more tools to take care of.

I like stihls because they are reliable, easy to work on. They are heavier than comparable huskies. Less tools needed though if something goes wrong.

IF.. *if* you wanted to get by with only one saw.. this is what I would do:

Stihl 440 or 044, and have Woods or Madsens hop it up for you. Run two different bars and chains. Maybe up to a 36. A hot 44 will defenitely turn a 36 for the big stuff, then a smaller bar for the small stuff.

Default Stihl

I have to go with Stihl, I asked some of the same question you did a few months ago and found a slighly used MS361 and so far its been a great saw. The one thing that i have found with using a professional saw is that they cut much much faster and the blades stay sharp much longer. I don't have much experience with Husky saws but I don't think you can go wrong with Stihl. Keep in mind biggest is not always best.

Default MS361, my vote

I have to agree with the MS361 vote. Best saw I have owned so far. Love the thing. Always starts.

Default Stihl

Still has more dealerships in AK--easier to service, plus it's a smarter made saw.

I've been clearing my property with a Husky Rancher 460. Came strongly recommended by a long time logger out of Forks, Wa. Seems to be cutting great for me. I have not ran it in the extreme cold however.

Just got a Husky 460 awhile back with 24in bar, have a alaska chainsaw mill gonna use with it for making rough cut lumber for shed projects,

Gun Runner

Default Husquvarna...

Husquvarna...

If Stihl made a hammer it would have laser sights and 16 moving parts instead of 2. Stihl are complicated for no good reason...look at the gas and oil caps...great idea right? Wrong. Way to easy to not get them on securely and they are expensive to replace. And if you never lost a fill cap you ain't run a saw long enough.

Husquvarna breath better. The air filters on a Husky stay cleaner longer because of the way they move the air thru the power head.

I bought 6 026 pro's one season and on 3 of them the exhaust melted the chain brake. $65.00 each not counting the down time. That's the pits when you're out at the end of a 30 minute helicopter hop at $800.00/hour dry.

Running line I have to sometimes mow the moss and cut stumps right at ground level for line of sight...I've done it more than once and less than a million times...the only time I started a fire was with a Stihl.

Stihl does make good chain though.
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default Never lost a cap on a stihl

Bought my first 032 back in 1984 as I recall. In fact I had no credit as I was young, and I made payments to Jackovich for couple of months to get it. I heated solely with wood until 1990/91. I bought a back up 032 in 1988 from a friend. Both saws have cleared numerous lots and cut countless cords of firewood. The only issue I have had with either is my fault, and that has been contaminated fuel that clogged up the filter or carb. That certainly was not the saws fault.
    One of them saw duty at a friends cabin for almost 8 years, and even though I love those guys, they abused the saw. Still (or Stihl), it ran every time it was needed, and still works extremely well today.
    I cut over 6 cords of wood this winter with no issues from either saw. To date, the only maintenance either saw has had professionally was one carb cleaning (I didn't have time), the drive gears wore out and were replaced with a free spinning style, and the bars have been replaced and/or dressed down several times. So, though far from being an expert, I have never lost a cap. Think I should try harder?

Husquvarna or Stihl, you've picked the Ford and Chevy of the chainsaw world. There's no wrong choice just personal preference as stated above, I've owned the same Husquvarna (375) for 15 years and it's never failed me in the field.

I by far prefer Husky saws. However, I will only buy Husky PROFESSIONAL saws, not the ones from the box stores. There is a big difference. I don't know why anyone would complain about needing more tools for a Husky? The top of my 365sp is tooless to clean the air filter. Chain tension and removing the bar just takes a scrench.

Stihl has much better dealers in Alaska, though. The MS361 is a FANTASTIC saw. If you aren't comfortable working on your own saws you should buy a Stihl in Alaska.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Another vote for Husky pro saws, well pro saws in general. The consumer grade saws just don't hold up. I've got an old pro husky saw that will likely be inherited by my kids, and they'll keep using it. In the 12 years I've had the saw the only thing I've done to it was rebuild the carb. I couldn't find the parts for the carb locally, but did find them on the net, and got 3 sets for less than the local shop quoted me for one set. I also picked up a spare carb off of e-bay for $25.

Depending on the size of the trees your cutting, a big and smaller saw makes sense. The arborist saws are pro grade saws, that are nice and light.

12 years with a Husky and had no problems.

Ron

I ran into the same question a few years ago, so I went around to the logging sort yards and discovered that most of the guys in Southeast who depend on a saw for a living use Stihl.

If it was responsible for mowing down the Tongass weeds it is good enough for me, so I bought the Stihl 460 its a professional grade saw. Been great for me and I also mill with it.

Sobie2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast