Thread: Blisters?

Default Blisters?

So my dads buddy has a problem that he wants help with. he keeps getting blisters on the bottom of his feet i guess. i have NO experience with blisters really. im not even sure ive heard much about blisters on the bottom of your feet. he wears cabelas alaskan hunters (meindl). i personally think his boots are a little big on him maybe? only because he went up like a half size in those boots compared to all his other shoes. i went down a half size in those boots compared to normal. well anyhow, any recommended socks or powders or switching the liner to the outside of the main sock or anything. oh and he switched to orange superfeet last year and it didnt help.

Default Friction?

Blisters usually from friction in footwear.
    Could be boots- wrong size makes sense. Or wrong fit; some shoe/boot makers use a last (form) that is too different from my foot creating hot spots.

...or bulky seams in socks - flat seams best esp at toes
    Some wear a light liner sock under heavier wool sock - any friction from the boot will pull on the outer sock. The inner sock glides with your foot.

Good luck.

I am with 6XLeech,

Likely poor fitting boots. Almost guaranteed I would say.

Also, does he wear the often?

Are the properly broke in?

Big variable here. And socks choices are important. Can't give much advice here as I don't hike much, but others will chime in on this. Read in a recent post about socks. Can't remember the name of the thread, but check out this past weeks worth of post here on the gear forum. I read it recently. Be sure to have him take some moleskin on future trips too

Below is a very active thread (30 post) from the Backpacker Magazine Forum. I will put the link below, but if it does not work, go to Backpacker Magazine website, then "Community" which is the forums, then select the "Health and Fitness" forum and this is on the first page. Tons of info on hiking of course at that forum.

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/fo...9;t=9991117011

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

First thing I would ask...has he changed the Insole's in his boots yet? If he has original insoles, that is the first thing I get rid of. Just about anything will work, but I personally like the SuperFeet stuff. Second, I tend to wear SmartWool socks. I NEVER use liners as they ALWAYS cause hot spots for me...I have heard some folks use them over their wool socks and that sounds interesting... Last, but not least, does he *know* haw to tie his boots correctly?!? I am not being a smart ***** as it took me 50 years to learn how to do it right myself. Your boot has two components to it, the toe box and the ankle support. Lace the toe box so it is snug, but not to tight, then cross your laces over themselves as if you were going to tie a knot (this is a half square knot)...this will keep the lower section of the boot solid. Stand up to lace the top section, and slightly lean forward (at my age I tend to bring my foot up onto a chair or table to more easily tie the laces) and make sure the tongue is in the right position. When you get to the top, use a Surgeon's Knot to complete the deal
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

All of the above and one more..... Merino Wool socks! Accept no substitute.

I used to have blister issues too, til I found the perfect sock/liner combo. I wear a thin poly liner with Thorlos or Smartwools and have had zero issues with blisters ever since. The only time I have issues with hot spots now are when I have submerged the boot in a creek (accidentally usually) and I will quickly feel the hot spots developing. Thats when I stop, make a fire and dry my boots (you might remember this Perry...grin). As long as I can keep the socks working properly at moving moisture to the outside it seems blisters are not an issue. But with that said, proper boot fit is a must, and for some folks with weird shaped feet, I think something like a custom made Superfeet or other brand insole that is actually made to mold to your individual foot might be the way to go.

I used to get blisters regularly all over my feet until I decided to go up 1 whole size in my shoe size.
    I also agree with Snyd in that only use Smartwood or Thorlo socks. This has absolutely alleviated my blisters issue(s).

One other thing is that even at the onset of the ready to get a blister mode, I put moleskin on immediately.

Last sheep hunt I went on, no blisters to be heard of or seen and I haven't had any since.

One additional thing that I added was a higher arch support, but that's just for me personally. That doesn't necessarily mean that it would apply to your dads buddy.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger45 View Post
    First thing I would ask...has he changed the Insole's in his boots yet? If he has original insoles, that is the first thing I get rid of. Just about anything will work, but I personally like the SuperFeet stuff. D

+1 on the insoles.

Got them for my work shoes and all my boots. Much more support and more comfortable.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Here is the link I was talking about where socks were discussed. It was in the hiking forum.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50113

ill have to check on what socks hes been wearing. im sure its the cabelas ultimax. that could be an issue. he claims he gets blisters no matter what boot. hes tried a few. he only gets them while in B.C. in the mtns. has no problem back in Indiana. (not much of a suprise seeing as its not as much up and down) He has tried different insoles too, but never tried powder or much of anything else. hes "too tuff" lol... untill his feet blow up. so, i think ill get him in some different socks and foot powder and make sure he changes his socks once the get wet. i personally think he should go to a new boot, sock, and insole. prolly scarpa liskamms with green superfeet and a good smartwool sock. money isnt an issue to him.

If that's the case and money isn't an issue, maybe you should consider explaining to him that a good waterproof or polypropylene sock would do him good.
    Here is a waterproof sock that he might consider:
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Customer rating is 4.1 out of 5. That's really not all that bad.

These ones do look cheaper, though:
    http://www.waterproofsocks.net/

During our sheep hunt last year, we had our waders and our waterproof socks and I wore my boots over both. There is nothing worse than a wet, pruned up hunter and I was neither of those. I wasn't all that wet and I wasn't pruned up too badly.
    Lurker.