Thread: Couple questions for the pro's.

Default Couple questions for the pro's.

Been reading up on previous posts about freight packs. Seems like the prefered one is Barney's. However, I will only need one for 2-3 seasons max so was thinking about the Alaskan Guide, just the frame. Read mixed reviews but what you think? Also looking for hip wadders and again won't need them for very long so Lacrosse is out. Any other decent brands out there? Besides that stuff I'm unsure what else I may need for a moose hunt. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Doug
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

The Alaskan Guide frame will probably be fine. That being said, if you buy a Barney's pack and use it for a couple of seasons, you will be able to sell it for much closer to the purchase price than you would the Alaskan Guide pack. I know it's a lot of money to throw down at once, but it's worth it for the comfort and for the resale value.

You can buy just the barneys frame for pretty reasonable. I agree with what Brian said though about resale. The Cabelas frame just about be a throw away in 4 years, the barneys in good shape will be worth much closer to original value depending on condition. There are plenty of people that are happy w/ the guide pack frame, but if I was 6 miles from the road w/ a 450lbs of meat to haul on my back I am sure somewhere between mile 4 and trip 2 I would be kicking myself for skimping.

I looked online for Barney's packs but came up with nothing. Are they sold olny locally or did I just overlook it?

Barney's doesn't have much of a website so you might have missed it.

As a piece of unsolicited advice- I would stick with stuff folks around here recommend. Most of this top shelf gear is expensive but the resale is often impressive. The reason the stuff has such resale value is because its pretty well proven to work and difficult to wear out.

Don't skimp on boots, rain gear, packs, or binoculars- everything else can be somewhat negotible. Failure in one of those pieces results in certain misery.

Local. You can find Barney's on Northern Lights Blvd about a block before Spenard Road. It's a little place on the left side of the road, and if you blink you'll miss it.

i agree with the reasons above, but if i could ask, why just 2-3 seasons? you will be moving from AK and not do any backpacking/hunting? Do some backpacking/hunting in AK and you will likely be hooked on it and hopefully continue it where ever you go. if you don't, okay, but if you do, you won't want to put down more money on yet another pack. do it right once and you'll have a pack to carry forth far into the future. your other choice though will be just fine if finances don't allow for the barney's or another more expensive pack

Default What about the old stand-by

For years a lot of people used the standard Camptrails Frieghter frame and moose pack. Reasonable value and you get years of good use mind you it is not a B-pack but a reasonable value and I have three that are over 10 years old and seem to be doing fine.

On that note on sheeps hunts I take my Barney's pack :-)

Just a thought!

Blue Moose

Thanks guys guess there is just no getting around the Barney's pack.

Actually, no. Ditto what blue moose said about the Camptrails. Thats what has gone on all of my hunts. It is definately no Barneys, but 5lbs and $90 worked pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Of course there is a way to get around it. Plenty of successful hunters use other packs every year and have great hunts. It's just that for many of us the benefits of the Barney's pack are worth the increased cost. They're far more comfortable with heavy weights, more durable, and hold their value better. You can have a great hunt with a Cabelas or Camp Trails pack, though.

Doug have you seen the new Army back frames? You can get them at the BX... FYI you can use THAT multiple times and since you know that they are army frames and can convert them... well... I won't have to give you any more ideas

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveintheburbs View Post
    Actually, no. Ditto what blue moose said about the Camptrails. Thats what has gone on all of my hunts. It is definately no Barneys, but 5lbs and $90 worked pretty well for me.
    x3

Camptrails freighter frames are fine. I've replaced some of the shoulder straps and back pad and have owned freighter frames since 1990. Can't afford a Barney's myself.

Tim

Default Barney's

I can't say that I've used one yet, but I've read enough on this forum to know that I needed one. (especially with my up coming sheep hunt) I was in Anchorage last week for spring break and accidentally bought one. They are $539. (for the Hunter model) Jubal, the salesman told me they were going to have a special at the sportsman show the 1st week of April, I think 10% off, making them $485. He said after the show, prices are going up 7%. So if you're going to buy one, get it at the show.

Quote Originally Posted by goaty View Post
    They are $539. (for the Hunter model) Jubal, the salesman told me they were going to have a special at the sportsman show the 1st week of April, I think 10% off, making them $485. He said after the show, prices are going up 7%. So if you're going to buy one, get it at the show.
    So, they will be $577 after the show, wow.

camptrails are fine....IF you've never wore a barneys. so if you can't afford a barneys don't even go try one one or look at one, just get your camp trails, be done with it and never the wiser. you'll be just as happy and never know how much less you would have hurt with the barneys.
    ignorance is bliss in this case.....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212