Thread: non resident bowhunt

Default non resident bowhunt

Im sure its in the regs somewhere but dont have the time to dig for it so I figured I can get quick answers on here. I have a friends son who would like to come up to alaska to bowhunt for caribou on the hall road and or a registration hunt on the steese. Here are my questions:

He has a New York Archery Cert- does Alaska honor it ?
    Can he hunt within the 5 mile coridor ?
    Can he receive a non resident registration tag for the steese or taylor ?
    does he have to be guided by a certified guide ?

Any information is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance......

He has a New York Archery Cert- does Alaska honor it ? As long as its IBEP or equivelant. Call F&G to be sure but it should

Can he hunt within the 5 mile coridor ? Yes

Can he receive a non resident registration tag for the steese or taylor ? Generally No

does he have to be guided by a certified guide ? No

Bill,
    Thanks for the reply, I just got off the phone with my buddy and I guess he did go to ADF&G and they did say yes for the 5 mile corridor and yes for the registration as long as he has the non resident license. What I dont understand fully is what the reg states because it says alaska honors any state certified course or the IBEP course, Ill have my buddy check into it more but never the less he told his son to go and get the IBEP cert just to be certain. We are planning aout a week hunt before the opener of the steese/taylor hunt so another question is can a non resident hold two tags at once. The harvest for caribou and also the registration hunt? Thanks for your help and answers...

If he has another bow Cert from another state he can hunt on the haul rd.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Bill,
    Thanks for the reply, I just got off the phone with my buddy and I guess he did go to ADF&G and they did say yes for the 5 mile corridor and yes for the registration as long as he has the non resident license. What I dont understand fully is what the reg states because it says alaska honors any state certified course or the IBEP course, Ill have my buddy check into it more but never the less he told his son to go and get the IBEP cert just to be certain. We are planning aout a week hunt before the opener of the steese/taylor hunt so another question is can a non resident hold two tags at once. The harvest for caribou and also the registration hunt? Thanks for your help and answers...
    he can hold two tags... but can only fill one set of them..

if he fills one on the dalton... he can not fill one on the steece as the limit there is ONE caribou.

though if he fill one on the steece first.. he could then fill one more on the dalton..with the TWO limit...

however the steece hunt is not conducive to bow hunting. the bou would be shot our from under him prior to getting near it. ( winter hunt) the summer hunt typically had a very low success rate due to current migrations. and the need to get a LONG way in. though that can vary greatly between years as did last year. either way he is in for a party... at least on the dalton... he is among BOW hunters. of course.... if he talks funny they may not give him any quarter
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I went through the regs again and I did miss the non resident registration permits in GMU 20. GMU 13 is Nelchina and it is clesed to non residents. So I sit corrected

NY bowhunter education is IBEP equivelant....think that is where it all started with Bill Wadsworth. was NBEP to start with i think.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I concure with everyone so far bud.......my card is IBEP equivilant and they have honored it for the past 6 years. Daniel

Hey Daniel,
    I still owe you a hunt man...your more than welcome to come join us if you can get the time off. Looking around the 3rd or so of august till about the 12th or earlier if were successfull.....We are sure we got everything so hes legal so I thank everyone for their input....

No sweat dude.Still far off for now, but I might get a weekend thing in.I still have my baiting from the end of May to the 1st week of Juneso that gives me almost 2 months to prep for a bow hunt. Hmmmmmmmmmm!