Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermy mistake, we pay or he pays?

Default Taxidermy mistake, we pay or he pays?

Haven't had much taxidermy work done so will ask this question here and see what responses I get.
    Say someone drops off more than one bear at the taxidermist. One to be mounted and the others to be tanned.
    After getting the mount back it is realized that the wrong bear was mounted. The mount and hide of the right bear were brought back to the taxidermist and he agrees that it was a mistake. Very nice guy and felt really bad.
    Wanting to get the right bear mounted, it is suggested that we pay for the mold to mount the right one. We have already paid the initial mounting fee.

Is that a standard cost for a job that did not get finished as requested? I can see a point on both sides but again having limited experience here I would like some feedback.

We will also be keeping the mount that was done initially.

thanks

If I read this right, he's willing to moount the "right" bear for the cost of the mold? Things happen, he admits the mistake is willing to try and make it right without going broke. Plus you are going to keep the another bear. For the cost of the mold, I would go along with it. Its a good deal and you'll have two bears.

Default that is right

yeh you read it ight. That is what is going to be done. He was very apologetic about it, also he was a very nice guy to work with, and we will have two bears.
    My wife totally agrees with you. I some what agree, and some what think the mistake should be fixed on his part.

Quote Originally Posted by plentycoupe View Post
    yeh you read it ight. That is what is going to be done. He was very apologetic about it, also he was a very nice guy to work with, and we will have two bears.
    My wife totally agrees with you. I some what agree, and some what think the mistake should be fixed on his part.
    Uh, I think that's what he's doing by offering another mount for the price of the mold. The obvious question here is what do you want him to do to make you happy?
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Having run a full time taxidermy shop , That sounds like a good deal the average black bear form cost around $500 and I charged An average of $4200 for a full size black bear . A mistake was made yes but he/she could of said I'll do the bear for half. But like Alasken said "The obvious question here is what do you want him to do to make you happy? " He/she is trying to do right. And you'll have 2 great looking bears. And folks will think your rich when they see 2 full body bear mounts
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default life size?

is it a full life size or a shoulder mount or what....either way you'd be coming out ahead
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Fair Deal

I have to agree with those that said take the deal. I know in my case, my taxidermist is my friend, I always tip him more than the charge, and mistakes happen. If your guy had botched the job that would be different. Buy the mold and everyone feels good.

sounds good to me. Bottom line is my wife is already happy. I was second guessing the situation. but the taxiderist is a good guy and the deal is all my wifes anyway.
    it is a shoulder type mount.
    thanks for the input.

Could you pm who you used. Any business that does what it takes to make the customer happy I'll use.

Default I agree

But being a taxidermist this should not happen. When a customer comes in they receive a job number. Say you bring me two bears and a deer, each one get they're own job number(this customer would get 3 numbers). I take a leather punch and put this job number permanently on the hide or cape. They are small holes that you would not see unless you knew what you where looking for. On bears I put them down on the right leg, where it meets the belly. The tannery should be doing the same, but in a different spot. The job number goes on the work order with instructions on what is being done with each job number.

So in saying this, this kind of mistake should not happen, now if this was to happen to me I would eat all cost. Bottom line for me is to give my customer what they pay for. I am not saying what the other guy did is right or wrong, this is just how I would handle the situation...
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083

I would take the deal.Mistakes happen on evey type of work even though they should not.

My take is you should AT LEAST get what you paid for - your bear mounted....what to do with the incorrectly mounted bear? negotiable I would think. Good luck on a mutually satisfactory final arrangement.

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default just food for thought

Some other things to take into consideration are what was the size difference of the beasr? How happy are you with the mount on hand? how much are you looking at paying for the? My take is that if the mold doesn't cost too much, go with it. All in all, I think that the man is trying to what any other business man would do and that is ensure that the customer is happy, in order to keep your business.

And if you take the deal you now have a taxedermist that will probably bend over backwards for you in the future.
    If you can afford it I'd say take the deal. If the kids are going to go without shoes because of the extra money take the deal but tell him you'll have to stretch it out in payments for a year.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Having done taxidermy work as a hobby I have some idea of the costs and work involved. I think he's making you a very generous offer, although I can't think of any other way to rectify the situation. I just know that many other taxidermy horror stories don't end nearly as well as yours will. Your glass is definitely half full.
    Mark

Default i would take the deal

The situation is unfortunate, but the clock can never be reversed. The question is how do you moove forward and feel good about it. Here is a link to check out and help with your decision. Remember the difference between supplies and labor in your initial deal. Taxidermy is time consuming and meticulous. Good luck.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/

Imagine of you were one of the people we hear from all the time that said "The guy wouldn't answer the phone or return the message" "The guy said it was my fault and I handed him the wrong hide the day I dropped it off" "The guy said to friggin bad take a hike!".

I once dropped a nice trophy antelope off at a local shop in WY. I was young and the guy took advantage of me. One of the nicest qualities of the lope was the huge dark patches on the sides of the animals face. We used to look for prime hides like that from mature animals. 11 months later he sent me the final invoice with shipping and said the mount looked great. I open the crate: Different cape. I freaked out and called the guy and told him I was at work but when I got home to compare the hunt pictures to the cape I think I'll find it's not the same one. NOW he decides to tell me that the hair slipped and he had to get a replacement cape. I dropped the hide within an hour of killing it in great shape by the way. He said he wouldn't charge me either to be nice. BS! Shouldn't I have been asked if I want a different cape? I probably should have been asked several things. I should have asked for my money back.... because he was dishonest from the get go. My guess is that he got top dollar for my cape or used it for one of his own personal mounts. It was as good as they get.

To me principle is as important, or moreso, than money. What you have is an honest guy who is just hoping he doesn't have to eat the cost of the second form. That seems reasonable. You could bust his ba11s and tell him you want what you paid for. But I agree a second mount for the cost of the form is what I'd call getting what you paid for.

On second thought.... I might ask him if I could just keep the hide and in the future pay for a form from my moose, sheep, goat. etc. and have him mount that instead since I already now had a bear mount. There's a thought.

I have to agree that the taxis' offer and method to correct the mistake, is good and fair, particularly since you will have two full mounts when all is done.

Another perspective: If the Taxidermist made you an offer up front to fashion 1 full mount for $4200 then said "you know, for another $500 I can fashion a second full mount" would you take that offer ?... I sure would

Taxidermy is a slow process. Your Taxi is trying to make things right and minimize costs. He is more than meeting you in the middle because the second mount, which your getting at a bargain, will take a lot of time away from his other jobs. If he is doing a good job (taxidermy is an art), your getting a great deal and it sounds like your Taxi is an honest guy.

Sure, your paying for another form but as mentioned below...two bear mounts...how cool is that! And you still have a great Taxi on speed dial.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    I have to agree that the taxis' offer and method to correct the mistake, is good and fair, particularly since you will have two full mounts when all is done.

Another perspective: If the Taxidermist made you an offer up front to fashion 1 full mount for $4200 then said "you know, for another $500 I can fashion a second full mount" would you take that offer ?... I sure would
    I second this thought, as that would be a great deal and I would take it in a heartbeat.

Also, as most have said, it sounds as if he is trying to make it right, which very few businesses try and do these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast