Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The best caliber (gun) question

Default The best caliber (gun) question

What's the best caliber for halibut?

Just kidding
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Default Well

Lots of people shoot halibut. I use an 88 Magnum, it shoots through schools (according to Joe Pesci). LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

i would use a 75-50.04 its a real killer. recoil is terrible however

I know someone on this forum who uses (or is restricted to) a .177 caliber pistol...

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i dont think theres such a thing as the best caliber. a 22 will do the job just fine you jsut have to let them bleed out and settle down after you shoot them. with that said what caliber do you suppose most gaffs would be considered? or the head of a harpoon? any large diameter steel going through the head will have the same effect as a bullet at that close of a range. i do know one thing if you use a 22 pistol make sure you put the ear protection on before you pull the trigger.
    Last edited by akriverrat; 03-20-2009 at 17:10. Reason: spelling

I think even though you are out on a boat, that you still need to take bears into consideration. You are handicapped with anything less than a .338. There have been several people who caught Halibut and been attacked by bears(most likely not in the same day or year, but still).
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

Personnaly I prefer the .50 BMG.....never can be to sure about those sneeky halibut
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

I second the 50 BMG. +1
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Depends

I keep a SS .410 shotgun on my boat(snake charmer). Kind of handy as it stores a few shells in the stock.
    Was going to buy a bang stick but I had trouble finding one in a caliber I wanted. Wanted to get one in a .44 mag as I already have a .44 mag pistol for bear protection and the shells would be interchangeable. But they always sold out of this caliber early.
    Have never had to shoot one though even 100# fish can be dealt with without shooting them if you are careful and know what you are doing.
    Most people never need a gun on their boat.(other than for pot thieves)
    You need to decide if you have the extra cash to buy a single purpose gun or if you should buy one to use for other purposes when you are not fishing. Also you might want a stainless one if you are going to keep it on the boat for long periods.
    Most any caliber will work especially if your aim is good. Right behind the eye is best.never shoot anywhere else.Always use caution when firing a gun around your boat.

I was really just kidding... I know how the forum likes the "what's the best caliber" threads.

Kasilof, when I had a boat, I kept a snake charmer on board for halibut.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Id like to get ahold of one of those Gatling guns out of the A-Warthog. I figure if it can bust up a tank it can bust a cap in a butt
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

12 ga with high base #4's... open choke from about 24".... really does the job!!
    i really like the benelli for rapid follow-ups
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default how about

a large chefs knife tied to a pole you could just poke a huge hole in its brain or gills just dont touch youre line with it .

Default Depends ....

Hard to answer this question without some other info...

Are we talking about halibut fishing on a boat or a float tube
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Snap kick to the groin. No reload necessary. Saw it work on a bear, too. Dinty Moore commercial I think. Don't quote me and no I am not gonna do the research for you even though I posted it. Prove me wrong or don't post.

Safety note: wear stainless steel toed boots and eye protection (many butts projectile vomit when kicked in the groin).

Further note: Donít follow my advice as I am not a certified butt groin kicker as my union dues are not up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    12 ga with high base #4's... open choke from about 24".... really does the job!!
    i really like the benelli for rapid follow-ups

3 1/2" 1 1/4oz slugs, no follow up needed!!!!!

Forget the gun, Soggy. You might try playing it a few selections from "Clam Soup."

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i say rear naked choke that butt!!! if an 8 year old can stop a pit bull with that a grown man should be able to tap out a 200 pound butt

I would go with a sling shot and a 50 cal musket ball. I assume that you are going to bring it to the surface correct, cause I am not sure any of these suggestions will work in 20' or more of water....Well save for the 88 magnum perhaps, it does "shoot through schools" <grin>

My trusty Glock 29SF will be on me for every trip I take out of Whittier and Seward this year. I used to carry a 44 mag in past seasons, but prefer having 2 10-round magazines of 10mm by my side. The 10mm round is very versatile, and the ballistics are amazing (1125 fps, 562 ft/lbs). The 29SF is compact and carries much easier than my old .44 ever did. It may be a bit of overkill for a halibut, but it is nice to have when we do shore excursions or overnight camps. Glocks hold up well in the most adverse conditions, which make them a great companion on the oceans and shores of Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast