Thread: marlin 338mx

Default marlin 338mx

Does anybody have any opinions on this rifle good or bad.

The rifles are good but I prefer the 45/70 for the bullet,JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Does anybody have any opinions on this rifle good or bad.
    The rifle or the caliber? The rifle is the standard old 336, well designed, strong, easy to use and care for, identical except for size, to the 1895 Guide gun in 450 or 45-70. Pretty good stuff.

About the caliber? Are you familiar witht he advertised ballistics? It would be great for some uses not so good for others.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The caliber mainly havn't seen any ballistics on it is it similar to 338 federal.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    The caliber mainly havn't seen any ballistics on it is it similar to 338 federal.

click on the hornady web site and watch this video. this cartridge is way MORE than the .338 federal. it performs like the 30-06 w/180gr bullets at pressures the marlin 336 can digest. paper ballistics are underrated, as this .33cal bullet is remarkable. some amazing stuff!
    happy trails.
    jh

The rifle is proven and sound platform. The drawback, thus far, is the bullet choice the cartridge ballistics are based on. I am not saying the bullet is a poor choice but, it is designed for the tube magazine, by virtue of the soft polymer tip, as all Leverevolution ammo is.

That bullet appears to be a "soft" bullet designed for thin skinned and non-dangerous game, which is just fine. If you plan to carry that weapon/caliber for " bear protection" you would have to step up to a tougher flat nosed bullet for the possible negative big bear encounter. Likely at this day and time that requires handloads.

Something to consider.

Thanks for the link had looked at marlin hadn't thought of hornady.
    These opinions is exactly what I was looking for. I have a thing for levers(lefty) and this sounds like it maybe a reason for another gun.