Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planted...

Wink Planted...

Well, Sunday I planted my tomatoes and Cayanne pepper, and jalapinos in the house.Yesterday(Thursday) I planted radishes and lettuce in the cold frame.Nite temps are down to freezing,day temps in the cold frame are around 70's.I will have radishes by 20 April.Really irks my valley friends as they still have inches of snow.I always get an early start, and usually get about an extra month without frost in the fall, as I'm 500' above the valley floor on a south west facing slope.GR

Not FAIR! But my tom babies are a sprouting.. I have my kahlrabi, hot peppers and pumpkins a started.. I will be doing the lettuce and other things in about 2 weeks.... depending.

I am jealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingarcher View Post
    Well, Sunday I planted my tomatoes and Cayanne pepper, and jalapinos in the house.Yesterday(Thursday) I planted radishes and lettuce in the cold frame.Nite temps are down to freezing,day temps in the cold frame are around 70's.I will have radishes by 20 April.Really irks my valley friends as they still have inches of snow.I always get an early start, and usually get about an extra month without frost in the fall, as I'm 500' above the valley floor on a south west facing slope.GR
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

I have 3 peppers that are about 3"s high now

Talking 3" tall....

You must have planted Christmas eve?I just put my seeds in the starter trays lol...

Come on guys we still have 5' of snow on the ground
    Chuck

Wink Hey Chuck...

How are things going out at the lake?You guys do any ice fishing?If so, what do you catch?Didn't you and the wife have the AK Frontier forum? Hope all is well.Longer days mean faster snow melt.How do gardens grow at the lake? Good soil, or are you building a soil up? GR

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Not FAIR! But my tom babies are a sprouting.. I have my kahlrabi, hot peppers and pumpkins a started.. I will be doing the lettuce and other things in about 2 weeks.... depending.

I am jealous!

I second that "Not Fair"!!!

Last nights low was -35 in the Eastern Interior, with daytime temps getting to right around zero. It is even too cold to open up the bay window to get those little starts some decent "heat" of the day sunshine. We still got several feet of snow on the ground. Hopefully this cold snap will go bye bye soon.

Got some little 3" tomatoes going and a few other things sprouted, and plan to get more herbs and other seeds going today. I do have some very nice assorted pepper plants that I overwintered in the kitchen window that are flowering so there will be peppers to harvest soon enough. Cucumbers and squash usually get started in mid April as they don't transplant well if they get too root bound.

Can't plant anything in the ground until June 1st here, so we got a while.

I'm ready for Spring!
    Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

He,he. Gotta love getting the head start on the plants. Good luck to all of you, and may you all harvest well. GrandMa, way to go. ( you could still tell us some of you tricks about winter growing )

We had a 'later' start on our plants.
    We are finally planted as of 2 days ago.
    We have chocolate toms, beefsteak toms, cucumbers, and corn.
    I don't think that corn is very successful up here and I am willing to keep them in my greenhouse until they are fully grown. We love fresh corn and as soon as it's done, it's easy to freeze them.

Two more weeks and we will be starting another round of vegis.
    Lurker.

CO2 here is a tip on corn... Cover them at night!

Corn only grows at night, I found out. They absorb sun and then grow only at night, so they don't do well here in during the summer. Someone I know who is a farmer in Michigan told me this... and I am not going to not go off his word.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    CO2 here is a tip on corn... Cover them at night!

Corn only grows at night, I found out. They absorb sun and then grow only at night, so they don't do well here in during the summer. Someone I know who is a farmer in Michigan told me this... and I am not going to not go off his word.
    That's an interesting tip Upinak!

Default Do you have to have a green house

To grow veg. up here??
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

no motor, but you do need patience. Look for cold weather veggies. lettuce, Cabbage, radishes, spinich, peas of all sorts, pumkins, squash do really well. Raspberries and blueberries go well in the berry depeartment.

But you need to start them inside, and plant them May 20th or after the frost has gone away.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    To grow veg. up here??

UpinAK, I have heard that before. I am going to cover them at night.
    I guess it's something like 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness corn needs in order to grow.
    Thanks for the reminder, though. I needed it. We really want our corn to make it!
    Lurker.

I just planted my tomatoes on sunday. I guess I am a little behind.
    Hopefully I will be able to start some more plants next weekend.

Oh my... we are already sprouting.
    The corn and cucumbers are sprouting already!!!
    Lurker.

Yay....
    This is what I have so far!!!
    These are my cucumbers!
    Lurker.

Ugh, I need to get my battery in my cam and take some pics. I think next weekend I am going to plant the lettuce items. They grow really fast.

Hey do NOT forget to plant marigold seeds for around your garden. Keeps the ants and aphids away.

Default WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO! We are growing!

Lookie!!! These things are growing FAST.

Cucumbers:

Corn:

Corn in the back, but the toms are already sprouting! (smiles)
    Lurker.

lets hope it melts SOON!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast