Thread: Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06 -VX-III 2.5-8x36mm & Range Report

Default Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06 -VX-III 2.5-8x36mm & Range Report

Well, here it is, my Ruger M77 Hawkeye 30-06 with VX-III 2.5-8x36mm and a range report to follow in a few days, hopefully the first of the week.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice looking rig,hope it shoots well for you and you will be set.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Nice looking rig,hope it shoots well for you and you will be set.
    Yes, it has that classic look and I hope it shoots well also, we will find out soon.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Nice looking rig hope it shoots for you.

Would that scope go on with 'low' rings? (I am assuming those are the standard 'med' riings that came with it).

Default Nice

Ruger is making some good looking rifles these days. That scope is one of my favorites, also have fun making it shoot
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Nice looking rig hope it shoots for you.

Would that scope go on with 'low' rings? (I am assuming those are the standard 'med' riings that came with it).
    Yes, it is med rings and that scope would go on with low ones but with the med rings it comes right to my eyes when I bring it to the shoulder.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Just the way it should be.....

Mr Beartooth,

Just so folks know you aren't the only one who knows a fine rifle when he sees one, I though I'd better chime in here and give my two cents worth about this rifle.

I have watched in my lifetime, this Ruger bolt rifle evolve into what it is today. Ruger started out in business about the time I was born but it was many years before they took to the bolt action rifle market. Easing into it, it seems, with a not too expensive, not too cheap kind of gun. I believe from day one that they were a very good buy for the hard earned dollar way back in the 1960's. They are an even better value today.

We all know that manufacturers today try to ceate a rifle at the least possible cost and we've seen how that often shows through before we even open the box. Many guns don't have that feel of the rifles of a few decades ago, accepting the cost is lower we understand they need to appeal to many markets. When I look over a Ruger hawkeye, I don't feel as though I didn't get my moneys worth. Quite the contrary, I have a bargain. This rifle is well designed, well made, nicely appointed with a piece of Amerian walnut with very good fit and finish. It is hard to believe the rifle cost so little. I think this is the best bolt action rifle available for the less than grand category and will rival many costing twice that figure. The CRF claw extractor the mechanical ejection, three position positive safety with a very good trigger not only in design but feel as well.

There are very few with even slight drawbacks and the worst compalint I could muster would be the wood to metal fit but even that is so precisely CNC inletted as to go unnoticed. Many will have exceptional grain and figure in the stock and have very nice wood to metal fit. That makes the rifle something special. Most nowadays are tack drivers with even inexpensive factory ammo and good handloads will cut those groups down.

This is the rifle I recommend to anyone looking for a good gun at a good price. I've had the occasion the past few years to package several new hawkeyes with scopes and ammo for other folks and these guns from the box give less than MOA accuracy and have very good triggers so making the shot is easy.

Maybe I'm out in left field but I think the Ruger hawkeye is about the cats meow in a modern bolt rifle. A good American made rifle by a good American company. This is just the way it should be.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, it is med rings and that scope would go on with low ones but with the med rings it comes right to my eyes when I bring it to the shoulder.
    Thanks,
    I've been looking at one of these and I generally prefer low mounts- I'm an unreformed stock crawler. Low mounts force me to take a good cheek weld and spare my brow! I'm a fan of the 2.5-8x as well- its well matched to that rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Ruger is making some good looking rifles these days. That scope is one of my favorites, also have fun making it shoot
    Yes, Murphy has made the point as I did on another thread concerning the Hawkeye when I said the following:
    The Ruger M77 Hawkeye is a real step up for Ruger and a honest attempt to make a better quality product at a competitive price than the Mark II and certainly other rifle makes in this class of rifle.

1. They now cold hammer forge their own barrels.

2. They put a new trigger on the M77 and it is great.

3. They improved their process of matt-finish (better than my CDL) on blued and stainless.

4. They change the ergonomics of the stock and it is a dream to handle with great balance and it feels like I have a fine rifle in my hands.

5. Not to mention their already true control feed.

6. Not to mention their already great three position safety.

7. Not to mention their system for mounting the scope.

8. On top of all of this their wood and it's finish is better looking.

9. On top of all of this their over all fit and finish as well as looks is much better.

10. They are consistently more accurate on average than in the past.

11. Made in the USA and designed my Americans for Americans.

They are much more interested in the complete rifle and what the customer wants today than Ruger has ever been and they have done a great job. Very good and versatile hunting rifle that has been well thought out and is an outstanding value and something you are proud to own.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Mr Beartooth,

Just so folks know you aren't the only one who knows a fine rifle when he sees one, I though I'd better chime in here and give my two cents worth about this rifle.

I have watched in my lifetime, this Ruger bolt rifle evolve into what it is today. Ruger started out in business about the time I was born but it was many years before they took to the bolt action rifle market. Easing into it, it seems, with a not too expensive, not too cheap kind of gun. I believe from day one that they were a very good buy for the hard earned dollar way back in the 1960's. They are an even better value today.

We all know that manufacturers today try to ceate a rifle at the least possible cost and we've seen how that often shows through before we even open the box. Many guns don't have that feel of the rifles of a few decades ago, accepting the cost is lower we understand they need to appeal to many markets. When I look over a Ruger hawkeye, I don't feel as though I didn't get my moneys worth. Quite the contrary, I have a bargain. This rifle is well designed, well made, nicely appointed with a piece of Amerian walnut with very good fit and finish. It is hard to believe the rifle cost so little. I think this is the best bolt action rifle available for the less than grand category and will rival many costing twice that figure. The CRF claw extractor the mechanical ejection, three position positive safety with a very good trigger not only in design but feel as well.

There are very few with even slight drawbacks and the worst compalint I could muster would be the wood to metal fit but even that is so precisely CNC inletted as to go unnoticed. Many will have exceptional grain and figure in the stock and have very nice wood to metal fit. That makes the rifle something special. Most nowadays are tack drivers with even inexpensive factory ammo and good handloads will cut those groups down.

This is the rifle I recommend to anyone looking for a good gun at a good price. I've had the occasion the past few years to package several new hawkeyes with scopes and ammo for other folks and these guns from the box give less than MOA accuracy and have very good triggers so making the shot is easy.

Maybe I'm out in left field but I think the Ruger hawkeye is about the cats meow in a modern bolt rifle. A good American made rifle by a good American company. This is just the way it should be.
    Well said, and you are not out in left field. I have owned all kinds of rifles in my life and many customs and the Ruger Hawkeye is a great product with years of evolving to a very fine rifle and a supper value. It might not mean anything to some, and some could care less but others will know it means something if I have decided to go to the Ruger Hawkeye for my main tool to do my hunting and I have. Thanks again for your comments Murphy, I do agree 100%.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS